ADVERTISEMENT

Radford/Riverheads Game Gets Mentioned on National TV!

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Today during the Virginia Tech basketball game, last week's game got some publicity. First they flashed up a graphic of a Radford player with a mention of their 2-A state championship. It was mentioned in connection to the Tech coach Mike Young, who is from Radford. If they specified any direct connection he has to the Bobcats, I did not catch it.

Anyway, the color commentator for the game was Dan Bonner, whom I am sure many of you have seen. This was on the ACC Network by the way. So as the graphic was being shown and the other announcer was explaining the connection, Dan added something to the effect of......."well not everyone was happy with Radford winning that championship. I live in Augusta County in Virginia and Radford beat one of our Augusta County teams, Riverheads, to win that title."

To my knowledge, Dan does not have any direct connection to Riverheads, but it was nice of him to see to it that our name got mentioned as well. The whole thing did not last longer than 10-15 seconds but it was cool to see the game even get mentioned.

He used to be one of my least favorite announcers, but now he is one of the better ones. Either announcing in general got worse or my tastes changed.

Dan played and coached at Lee
I’m just catching up on the threads on here after being gone the past few months.

Dan Bonner never played high school basketball at Lee - he went to high school in the Pittsburgh area.

However, he did coach girls' basketball and soccer at Robert E. Lee High School in Staunton.

Reactions: Coach Chop
I’m just catching up on the threads on here after being gone the past few months.

Dan Bonner never played high school basketball at Lee - he went to high school in the Pittsburgh area.

However, he did coach girls' basketball and soccer at Robert E. Lee High School in Staunton.
I stand corrected. Was always told he did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT