ADVERTISEMENT

Radford vs John Marshall

JM by a lot. Watching them I am not sure that there is a team in Virginia in all classifications that could stay within 30. There might be some but from what I have saw I do not think so. They should beat Radford by 50 plus they are just that dominant

Reactions: VAHoops11 and UdoIT
Agree I saw John Marshall play hopewell earlier in the season and they won by 18 hopewell speed and athleticism and shooting kept them close but John Marshall was just to tall and athletic and talented good luck.

JM by a lot. Watching them I am not sure that there is a team in Virginia in all classifications that could stay within 30. There might be some but from what I have saw I do not think so. They should beat Radford by 50 plus they are just that dominant
Hopewell only lost by 18. They are in the D3 finals. Hayfield beat them last year.

Last year they didn't have the recruit from New York or the 6'9 freshman
OTOH they had Steve Stinson, who was a very good player for them.

John Marshall had a tight game against Jackson-Reed from DC, who won a close one against Hayfield. JM would be favored against anyone, but there are definitely VHSL teams that could give them a competitive game.

I just wish we could have the best teams playing each other instead of the watered-down mess we have.

VHSL just needs to investigate JM and make sure they are doing transfers the correct way. No way should a 2A sized team be the number one school in the nation. It’s common knowledge kids are coming from NC and NY to play there bc a certain AAU organization’s assistant coach is JM’s coach.

VHSL needs to reduce the amount of classifications. 1-4 would be good.
This may good for all sports except football. I'm sure baseball/volleyball/softball teams in class 1-3 could regularly compete and beat teams in class 4-6. I just don't see that happening in football.

Reactions: falcettik
I know JM enrollment has them at 2A. But these scores are just crazy.
John Marshall Games , Hopewell +18, Holly Springs(NC) +3, Dematha +7, Landstown +40, Wythe +48, Virginia Acad. +24, Millbrook(NC) +30, Grennsboro (NC) +12 Columbus (FL) +3 Wheeler (GA) +13 L.C. Bird +36, Freeman +27 Jackson Reed (DC) +8, Grayson (GA) +13, J.R. Tucker +48, Godwin +32, Glen Allen +45, T. Jefferson +43 , Lake Taylor +35, Deep Run +53, Hermitage +51, St. Chris +42 Prince Edward +83, T. Jefferson +57 Brunswick +62, Strasburg +71, Brunswick +63. They outscored the opposition by 968 points. Closest game by a Virginia team was Hopewell at the start of the season. This is just a special group of young men regardless of how they got to JM. They still had to come together as a team. Honestly I would love to see a team from Virginia to give them a real game but I just do not think any one could keep it as close as Hopewell. They are not really gaining anything as players by these scores. No competition could really hinder these young men if they play at the next level where they might not be on of the best on the team.

Reactions: pizzzzza
This will balance out in time players come and go it's no guarantee that most of these players on John Marshall will even stay or be on the team the next year or two.

actually Woodside and JM had some very good games in the fall league the Wolverines even won one.

We can cry competitive disadvantage all we want on it. Call me extremely old school, but I think what really sucks in these super teams is you lose a ton of the charm of high school athletics. I got to go watch a state semifinal this week. It was awesome to see communities pour into a gym and root on their locals. Most, I’m sure, kids they had watched grow up and develop. A very old school feel in 2023. The idea of a group that had grown up dreaming to play for their high school team and then taking their community on a magical run to the state title is gone here imo. Now it’s an aau championship. No old men reminiscing in the stands, no little kids longing to get that shot one day, instead it’s a cold, calculated machine. Probably better for the young men at JM as long as they can play a national schedule and get the recruiting attention they deserve. My guess, and I could be wrong, though is that for these kids and team the aau season and the more national teams matter a lot more to them than a 2A state title and the state playoffs. Is that wrong? No, and my old a$$ probably needs to get over it and adjust to the new reality of aau subculture and prevalence in high school ball but man it’s hard! Okay, off my soapbox now and back to seeing how the games shake down these next 3 days. 12 teams get to achieve dreams this weekend; excited for them!

I don't know I believe Menchville could stay within 20, Hopewell stayed within 20 when they played early in the season.

We can cry competitive disadvantage all we want on it. Call me extremely old school, but I think what really sucks in these super teams is you lose a ton of the charm of high school athletics. I got to go watch a state semifinal this week. It was awesome to see communities pour into a gym and root on their locals. Most, I’m sure, kids they had watched grow up and develop. A very old school feel in 2023. The idea of a group that had grown up dreaming to play for their high school team and then taking their community on a magical run to the state title is gone here imo. Now it’s an aau championship. No old men reminiscing in the stands, no little kids longing to get that shot one day, instead it’s a cold, calculated machine. Probably better for the young men at JM as long as they can play a national schedule and get the recruiting attention they deserve. My guess, and I could be wrong, though is that for these kids and team the aau season and the more national teams matter a lot more to them than a 2A state title and the state playoffs. Is that wrong? No, and my old a$$ probably needs to get over it and adjust to the new reality of aau subculture and prevalence in high school ball but man it’s hard! Okay, off my soapbox now and back to seeing how the games shake down these next 3 days. 12 teams get to achieve dreams this weekend; excited for them!
No you are not alone in your sentiments about high teams building organically. I'm from Richmond and many of us up here think the crap JM is doing is horrible. We call them JM Prep Academy up here. We love that JM can compete on a national level but it is unfair when they play local teams especially the class 2 playoffs. We have said Ty White, JM Head coach, would do a better service by taking his program to a private/prep school like LCA rather than a public.school. We don't seem to mind public school kids from other school districts in VA transferring to other public schools but getting top kids from other states is inexcusable. JM has 2 players that are Highland Springs kids and would have definitely put them over the top at repeating as state champs but no one up here complained about it. Many people I talked to up here don't plan on watching the class 2 state title game because we already know the outcome.

Menchville and hopewell played very competitive didn't back down they have good Shooters and athletes even though they lost by 18 or 20 they still play a good game. But John Marshall size and over all talent was a little to much in the end.

I respect your views and understanding of the evolution in high school sports. Like yourself, VHSL seems to operate with that old nostalgic and definitely needs a revamp of how they do everything from competition management to media coverage throughout the season. No matter the outcome Radford has something to play for, pride!

No you are not alone in your sentiments about high teams building organically. I'm from Richmond and many of us up here think the crap JM is doing is horrible. We call them JM Prep Academy up here. We love that JM can compete on a national level but it is unfair when they play local teams especially the class 2 playoffs. We have said Ty White, JM Head coach, would do a better service by taking his program to a private/prep school like LCA rather than a public.school. We don't seem to mind public school kids from other school districts in VA transferring to other public schools but getting top kids from other states is inexcusable. JM has 2 players that are Highland Springs kids and would have definitely put them over the top at repeating as state champs but no one up here complained about it. Many people I talked to up here don't plan on watching the class 2 state title game because we already know the outcome.
Highland Springs lost two basketball players and gained 10 football players

Reactions: OCBoy and CHUKNOW
If Radford played them 100 times, they lose 100 times by 50+.
don't know how Radford measures up to the Tidewater teams but some of them gave JM some good games in the Fall League. Woodside even beat them one game.

I believe the score will be closer than the blowout some are expecting. Radford took D3 Northside to OT and could probably beat most Tidewater schools. Just saying Radford is closer to a Varina, EC Glass, Hopewell , Northside. Much better than what JM has played in the playoffs so far.

I do agree that six divisions is way to many as well.

Reactions: pizzzzza
I believe the score will be closer than the blowout some are expecting. Radford took D3 Northside to OT and could probably beat most Tidewater schools. Just saying Radford is closer to a Varina, EC Glass, Hopewell , Northside. Much better than what JM has played in the playoffs so far.

I do agree that six divisions is way to many as well.
I'm sorry, JM gonna beat the breaks off of Radford and I'd put money on that.

Reactions: toughy299
Highland Springs lost two basketball players and gained 10 football players
That is hilarious, gained them from where, we did not have any kids transfer from other high schools. If so please enlighten me. I believe you have HSHS confused with another High School.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Yeah I didn't figure he was a local kid either
Being “local” means something too.

I don’t think anything JMHS is doing is illegal. I do think they MAY be missing out on a special time however. Communities really come together to watch and support their kids, their neighbors kids, kids they coached in the local rec leagues, kids who work at the local businesses, etc. I’ll use MC as an example. About every 5 years or so, a group of Madison kids come along and make a run. It’s a big deal in our community. To remember those kids when they were 9-10 years old playing rec ball and having watched them through middle school, JV and then Varsity is special. I mean, our small community basically closes down on game nights. It also means something extra to play against teams from communities who also watched their players grow and develop and who we competed against in youth leagues.

The wins and losses mean more, to me, when I know the kids and see their families at the games and in the community. Madison’s loss to Dan River in the state semi in 2009 was so meaningful to our community; not just because it ended a 28 game winning streak but because I knew the players personally and saw them outside of sports. Trey Hensley’s huge shot in the state championship the next year, to complete the undefeated season, is a thing of legend around our parts. And then to see him in the gyms working with the young kids is what local high school sports is about. Isiaiah Smith leading MC past the “unbeatable” RE Lee team in 2017(?) to win the Region was legendary in these parts. Seeing former Coaches like Tim Taylor, Eddie Dean, Billy Tanner and others supporting the teams at games is special. Seeing former players like David Falk, Logan Terrell, Casey Campbell, Isiaiah Smith, etc in the stands is special. I am sure there are many, many other schools just like ours in these aspects.

I’m not sure you have that kind of relationship when your team is made up of players from all over the place. And that’s too bad. Those young men might be missing out on an experience of a young life.

I don’t think anything JMHS is doing is illegal. I do think they MAY be missing out on a special time however. Communities really come together to watch and support their kids, their neighbors kids, kids they coached in the local rec leagues, kids who work at the local businesses, etc. I’ll use MC as an example. About every 5 years or so, a group of Madison kids come along and make a run. It’s a big deal in our community. To remember those kids when they were 9-10 years old playing rec ball and having watched them through middle school, JV and then Varsity is special. I mean, our small community basically closes down on game nights. It also means something extra to play against teams from communities who also watched their players grow and develop and who we competed against in youth leagues.

The wins and losses mean more, to me, when I know the kids and see their families at the games and in the community. Madison’s loss to Dan River in the state semi in 2009 was so meaningful to our community; not just because it ended a 28 game winning streak but because I knew the players personally and saw them outside of sports. Trey Hensley’s huge shot in the state championship the next year, to complete the undefeated season, is a thing of legend around our parts. And then to see him in the gyms working with the young kids is what local high school sports is about. Isiaiah Smith leading MC past the “unbeatable” RE Lee team in 2017(?) to win the Region was legendary in these parts. Seeing former Coaches like Tim Taylor, Eddie Dean, Billy Tanner and others supporting the teams at games is special. Seeing former players like David Falk, Logan Terrell, Casey Campbell, Isiaiah Smith, etc in the stands is special. I am sure there are many, many other schools just like ours in these aspects.

I’m not sure you have that kind of relationship when your team is made up of players from all over the place. And that’s too bad. Those young men might be missing out on an experience of a young life.
Well put and I couldn't agree more

Reactions: MCAthletics

Well said. Our Community is the same way in Strasburg

Reactions: MCAthletics
I’m not sure if illegal is the right word but it is wrong and based on rules it shouldn’t be allowed if they are doing what everyone suspects them to do. Can someone answer Richmond School rules? Do the kids have to physically attend JMHS to play? I also wonder how much money Addidas has in this? Their social media page clearly shows they are a big contributor. Wonder how all those teams in their Region feel? They have kept a lot of kids away from the dream of playing in that big arena! It’s a shame the circus they have made high school basketball to be. VHSL has no backbone and it also makes you wonder if they are getting kickbacks. They lose Rivera and Parker this year. Who is in the works to replace. Whose parents are “moving with their kid”..yeah right. There has to be no worse feeling than all the other 51 schools than working so hard all year to be on an uneven playing grounds and to essentially be playing for 2nd. Next year crown them the champ before it starts and then let everyone else play in a tournament… not realistic but it’s all silly. Not a good look for a their school imo.. team loaded vs Radford

I’m not sure if illegal is the right word but it is wrong and based on rules it shouldn’t be allowed if they are doing what everyone suspects them to do. Can someone answer Richmond School rules? Do the kids have to physically attend JMHS to play? I also wonder how much money Addidas has in this? Their social media page clearly shows they are a big contributor. Wonder how all those teams in their Region feel? They have kept a lot of kids away from the dream of playing in that big arena! It’s a shame the circus they have made high school basketball to be. VHSL has no backbone and it also makes you wonder if they are getting kickbacks. They lose Rivera and Parker this year. Who is in the works to replace. Whose parents are “moving with their kid”..yeah right. There has to be no worse feeling than all the other 51 schools than working so hard all year to be on an uneven playing grounds and to essentially be playing for 2nd. Next year crown them the champ before it starts and then let everyone else play in a tournament… not realistic but it’s all silly. Not a good look for a their school imo.. team loaded vs Radford
Is this just a way for a group of very talented players to get on the same team without having to pay private school tuition? Get the same high level of exposure without the cost of an Oak Hill or Paul VI?

I wouldn’t doubt that addidas is paying for some of this stuff. It’s a business decision for all parties involved.. including the coach. Players come to play for team loaded for exposure and who knows what else… VHSL is to blame. Wonder if any schools are fighting this?

Reactions: toughy299
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT