ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Hayfield vs Yorktown Video Highlights Incl. Egregious Officiating Call

RHSProductions

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 26, 2008
It is rare that I call out the officials, but there was a call in this game so bad that it almost defies explanation. In watching thousands of HS, college and pro games, I have never seen this call.

Yorktown blocked Hayfield's punt. The ball squirted several yards forward where a Hayfield player downed the ball. End of discussion--Yorktown ball on the Hayfield 47. But no, the official failed to blow his whistle until a Yorktown player touched the Hayfield player. At first, all was well and Yorktown's offense came on the field. But then the officials conferred and ruled an 'Inadvertent Whistle' which negated the blocked punt, and gave Hayfield another opportunity to punt the ball which they did to the Yorktown 19. The call cost the Patriots 34 yards with the score still 7-0 Yorktown in the 3rd qtr.

Obviously, the call had no bearing on the outcome of the game, but I shake my head in disbelief after attending the game and studying the film that this is the 'only call' the officials could arrive at because one official was a few seconds late in blowing his whistle. Where was the 'common sense' in this call?

It is the mark of a good team to overcome an egregious officiating call and the Patriots did that.

The play and call can be found at 4:59 on the video.

RHS

Hayfield vs Yorktown Video Highlights

Wow, I was really expecting something major, with words like "Egregious" and "defies explanation."

But here's what's funny. There shouldn't have been a whistle, that's true. But other than that, they got it exactly right.

From the video you can tell the line of scrimmage is the White 48 and you can tell #5-white picked the ball up behind the line, at the white 45. That's a free ball. It's also very much a live ball. He didn't down anything.

What were blue-#44 and blue-#99 doing getting away from a ball behind the line? Weren't the coaches yelling to get the ball? It's exactly the same as a fumbled ball at that point. Was anyone telling them that white can get it and run? Where is the coaching in this clip?

(Actually I'm yanking your chain with that question a bit. Since you were so certain this was a horrible screw up by the officials, I wanted to point out that if anyone else knew the rule here they would have been well ahead of the game. The error was the whistle, but that was the only error by the officials. I see plenty by players who didn't know what to do. When I played we were taught that rule in case we ever got a punt blocked or blocked one ourselves. I've seen plenty of blocked punts over the years and almost all the players have gone after the ball with intentions of advancing it. I've seen the punter run for a TD after getting a punt blocked. Punts can definitely get wild. Now, back to the answer)

#5-white could have run with it and gained a first down. Heck, he could have thrown a forward pass for a TD as long as it was to an eligible receiver and no one was illegally downfield.

#16-blue was the only player in the clip who played it right.

The kid with the ball quit on the play and the official blew his whistle when he shouldn't have, possibly to prevent a free shot, possibly because he also thought the play was over. I don't know why, but he blew it. That makes it an inadvertant whistle. It's a lot easier to do than you would think.

When there is an IW during a live ball, the team in possession can choose the result of the play or replay. Obviously they chose to replay.

(If the whistle sounded when the ball is loose after a kick, pass or snap, there is no choice, the down MUST be replayed.)
This post was edited on 9/27 3:29 AM by White hat

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT