ADVERTISEMENT

RE Lee Coach Paul Hatcher

Legendary Paul Hatcher, winningest basketball coach in VHSL history, died Friday morning​

Patrick Hite
Staunton News Leader

STAUNTON — Paul Hatcher, the legendary coach of Robert E. Lee High School basketball, has died. He was 80. His son, Jarrett Hatcher, confirmed the news, saying his dad died Friday morning just after 10 a.m.

Hatcher won 897 games as the head coach of Lee High basketball, including a state record of 85 in a row from 2003-2006. In his 43-year coaching career, Hatcher won four state titles, was named coach of the year 11 times and is a member of five halls of fame.

Hatcher, who grew up in Bassett Forks and attended Bassett High School, played his college ball at Bridgewater College. He was a two-time All-Virginia Little Eight and All-Mason-Dixon Conference selection, finishing with 1,358 points in his career. He finished third in the state in scoring his senior year.

While at Bridgewater, he met his future wife, Judy Hayslett. Married June 18, 1966 the two were together until Judy Hatcher's death in 2018.

Hatcher came to Staunton in 1966, getting a job teaching. He started a junior high team that year, scheduling two games. They only played one before the school board canceled the second and disbanded the team. He almost took a job in Southampton coaching after the team was disbanded, figuring he'd never coach in Staunton. But after visiting Southampton he made the decision to stay in Staunton.

In 1966-67 Lee won the state championship and the coach left. The assistant coach also left for an administrative position, leaving Delmer Botkin as the team's new coach and Hatcher as the junior varsity coach. That JV team finished 16-2 under the future legend.

Botkin left to be assistant principal and athletic director the following year and Hatcher became varsity coach in 1968.

"That's why I thanked him forever," Hatcher said of Botkin in an interview several years ago. "For giving me a chance. A lot of people wouldn't."

Among the great players Hatcher coached was Kevin Madden, who played college basketball for the University of North Carolina. With Madden, Hatcher's Leemen went 93-8 with three state tournament berths and the coach's first state championship in 1984.

"Watching my brother Mike play, I was always intrigued with wanting to play for Coach Hatcher and wanting to be as good as Mike," Madden said a few years ago.

Hatcher also won state titles in 1990, 2004 and 2005.

Keith Scott played on that 1990 team, which some regard as the best in Lee High history. That year, one of Scott's closest friends was murdered and the high schooler struggled to deal with the aftermath. Hatcher

"He offered me his home at a very tough time," Scott said of Paul Hatcher. "That's all I need to say to describe him."

He announced his retirement on Oct. 10, 2011, finishing as the winningest coach in Virginia High School League history.

"He was my coach, teacher, mentor, role model and cherished lifelong friend," said former Lee player Mark Newlen. "I am forever indebted for his loyalty, encouragement and faithful friendship all of my life."

Newlen said Hatcher fought the good fight and fished the race.

"You have kept the faith," Newlen said of his coach. "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Paul Hatcher’s first varsity team at Lee High finished the 1968-69 season 11-10.

70682609007-022.jpg

Paul and Judy Hatcher and Kevin Madden take a break on the hood of the Hatcher’s 1970 Firebird

70682606007-025.jpg

Kevin Madden helped Paul Hatcher win his first state championship in 1984.

70682615007-048.jpg

Joe Joe Stuart, Reggie Waddy and Keith Scott helped Paul Hatcher win his second state title.

70682616007-046.jpg

Lee High’s record-breaking win over Fort Defiance on Jan 18, 2006. It was the team’s 67th win in a row

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
My sympathy to his family. He was definitely a legend in Va high school basketball. I remember all the battles that he and Husky Hall had when Martinsville played Lee. It was worth the price of admission to watch those two on the sidelines.

Thanks for the memories, those were big time programs back then. That 85-86 back to back championship teams for the Dogs were some of the best teams in Bulldog history. Had a pretty good small forward on that team along with Cooke, Beamer and Hunt. Believe his name was Shawn Moore, pretty good qb also. That 90 team for Lee was awesome. That was some good times back then.

Thanks for the memories, those were big time programs back then. That 85-86 back to back championship teams for the Dogs were some of the best teams in Bulldog history. Had a pretty good small forward on that team along with Cooke, Beamer and Hunt. Believe his name was Shawn Moore, pretty good qb also. That 90 team for Lee was awesome. That was some good times back then.
You have a very good memory my friend.

I remember that Martinsville starting five very well, since I saw them for a few years in the state tournament.

For the record, the fifth starter was a fellow by the name of Vincent Ingram (6’4 guard)

A young coach Wells sporting the beard, he was a great coach for the Dogs but an even better person. That was the 85 team. The 86 team lost 2 games, once to Oak Hill in ot and the other to Flint Hill led by Dennis Scott in another close game. Both games were played at Bassett High School ( Coach Hatcher's Alma mater) in front of standing room only crowds. That was back when Martinsville had like 1000-1100 in the school, now we are down to about 500.

A young coach Wells sporting the beard, he was a great coach for the Dogs but an even better person. That was the 85 team. The 86 team lost 2 games, once to Oak Hill in ot and the other to Flint Hill led by Dennis Scott in another close game. Both games were played at Bassett High School ( Coach Hatcher's Alma mater) in front of standing room only crowds. That was back when Martinsville had like 1000-1100 in the school, now we are down to about 500.
Lee is in a similar situation, though not near as small as Martinsville these days but at one time the were 1500+ and now somewhere around 850-900.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT