ADVERTISEMENT

Really weird formation...

ed r forshey

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Jun 16, 2001
The offense lined up in a really weird formation:

............................. C G G T T TE (covered up by WR on the LOS)

WR (off the line).....QB

..............................FB

.............................. TB

My question is can the C(Center) go out for a pass wearing a linemans number?

Must he report as a receiver to be able to go out for a pass?

Must a team inform the refs before the start of game that this play might come up?
This post was edited on 8/30 12:54 AM by ed r forshey

In high school football all those positions are labels given to kids on the team, but in the rule book there are linemen on the end and linemen in the interior. Guards and tackles make no difference. There is a snapper -- usually an interior lineman, but not in this case. It's legal for the snapper to be on the end of the line.

However, to be an eligible receiver, he MUST have an eligible number. If #44 snaps it while on the end of the line and goes out for a pass, that's fine. If #54 does it, that's a problem.

To be an eligible receiver, a player must be eligible by position and number -- that's it.

Reporting as eligible is an NFL rule only. It has no bearing on high school football (or NCAA, for that matter.)

If a coach is going to run a play with the snapper on the end, it's obviously a gadget play and should best be discussed with the officials prior to the game. I've seen it in the swinging gate formation for PATs, but that's the only time.

Thanks,

I thought he wasn't able to catch a pass cause of his number.

Now I know he can't.

I knew the formation was legal, this was run as a 2 point play after TD and the C caught the ball for 2 points wearing #55 for the win with less than 10 seconds to play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT