ADVERTISEMENT

Reclassification News

DEVILSLB99

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2005
Found out from my AD tonight that when the VHSL meets in the fall with the Principals and AD's option 3 from the realignment concerns PowerPoint will be voted in to effect. Option 3 is:
Legislate Four regions per class (12-14 schools per region) and remove conferences all together. Play a district schedule and then use the smaller regions as the playoff grouping.

Pluses – Eliminates a component (conferences) that some believe is not working; gives some old system (three classification) feel to the new system (six classification); football region finals now can occur within the region schedule; two reps per region – eight team state event most sports.

Minuses – All-in region creates travel issues greater than with the conference component; some regions have worked out the issues and actually have a well functioning situation; this is change on top of change.

SO basically they are going back to the old setup.

So it sounds like the sectionals are going away as well, not just the conferences?

I hope basically reverting back to the old system doesn't mean schools will be playing up again...

They are going to just take each region and split them in half and eliminate all conferences. Conference play will be out and post season play will start at the regional level.

So it sounds like the sectionals are going away as well, not just the conferences?

I hope basically reverting back to the old system doesn't mean schools will be playing up again...

No playing up but back to the old system in having 4 regions.

Does anyone have a copy of this proposal... I'd be interested to see the playoff structure and just how many teams make it in.

Does anyone have a copy of this proposal... I'd be interested to see the playoff structure and just how many teams make it in.

It's a part of the concerns powerpoint. They are probably going to leave the playoff structure to the regions since each regain will consist of 12-14 teams. So whether they take 8 or whether they take 4 is going to be up to the region. It's going to look a lot like the pods that are in place now in 5A South where the Tidewater 8 play down to 1 and the Richmond 8 play down to one and basically what is the regional semifinals now will be regional championship games. Then the state semifinals and state finals.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Somebody on the boards had said that they were going to stick with the current classifications for a 4 year cycle unless you were 10% over the "cutoff". Has anybody seen that in writing from the VHSL or is that just a guess on someones part.

Somebody on the boards had said that they were going to stick with the current classifications for a 4 year cycle unless you were 10% over the "cutoff". Has anybody seen that in writing from the VHSL or is that just a guess on someones part.
The classifications will last for 4 years with teams being looked at every two for extreme cases like a population boom giving a school enough numbers to bump up or a school losing enough to drop down. It can be appealed, but 4 years were in response to people having to change conferences every 2 years. In this new system however conferences will be gone. A lot to be figured out obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT