ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit Zac Smiley

Nov 6, 2018
As a college coach in the state of Virginia how could you not recruit Zac Smiley? Atleast give him a preferred walk on offer. He is not blazing fast and he is not tall. However, he is not to short. VT's starting middle linebacker the last few years was listed as 5' 10". Not sure how tall he really is but he more then got the job done. I am not sure what Smiley weighs, 195-215? But, I know that he is very strong. Last season he did a back flip after scoring about his 5th TD in the game against Gap. He is strong, athletic, and smart. I think I have seen where he has an above 4.0 GPA. Oh, and he is RHS all time leading rusher while starting on defense. Maybe he is being recruited and I just do not know about it. VT had a little fullback a few years ago who ended up getting drafted, no disrespect, but I think Smiley would dominate that kid.

As a college coach in the state of Virginia how could you not recruit Zac Smiley? Atleast give him a preferred walk on offer. He is not blazing fast and he is not tall. However, he is not to short. VT's starting middle linebacker the last few years was listed as 5' 10". Not sure how tall he really is but he more then got the job done. I am not sure what Smiley weighs, 195-215? But, I know that he is very strong. Last season he did a back flip after scoring about his 5th TD in the game against Gap. He is strong, athletic, and smart. I think I have seen where he has an above 4.0 GPA. Oh, and he is RHS all time leading rusher while starting on defense. Maybe he is being recruited and I just do not know about it. VT had a little fullback a few years ago who ended up getting drafted, no disrespect, but I think Smiley would dominate that kid.
You're referring to Sam Rogers, who is now the head coach at Hanover High in Mechanicsville, which is his alma mater. Rogers actually played quarterback in high school. As for Smiley, I definitely feel that he could play linebacker at the D2 or D3 level. Maybe he is getting recruited and nobody has mentioned it.

It’s a shame but many 1A kids just aren’t looked at much. Smiley seems to be a man amongst boys most days. Unreal that someone wouldn’t give him a shot.

Reactions: offmylawn
Smiley is a victim the same as the kids from all those years at Giles was. They get overlooked because of the offensive sysytem they play in.

Smiley is a victim the same as the kids from all those years at Giles was. They get overlooked because of the offensive sysytem they play in.
Was going to say the same thing but didn’t know if I was the only one that saw it. And that’s not taking away anything from his records it just is what it is. Dixon’s first system produced 3 3000 yard seasons for 3 different tailbacks.

I might owe Mr. Smiley an apology here this morning. In my commentary about the championship game, I may have minimized his role in it because watching in real time, it seemed as if he had fewer carries than usual and that his only "big one" of the day was the 58 yarder in the first quarter that set up the tying field goal. It appeared from that point on that the Gladiators went away from him as a primary threat and that other younger players made the more explosive plays of the day.

But upon reading the media coverage, I see that he was still the leading rusher on the day and had another of his many 100+ yard games, even if he failed to score. While on that subject, it was discussed in the stands yesterday about whether he needed another TD to hit 100 or if he had perhaps reached that milestone last week at West Point. But one of the papers said today that he did in fact end his career with exactly 100 TDs.

On a related note, another poster yesterday said that they would be interested in seeing the stats for yesterday's game. So does anyone know if they are available anyplace? This same paper I just referenced said that Pickett threw for 300 yards but that the Gladiators held the Tide to 70 yards rushing on 29 carries. Therefore Galax's total offense was 370.

If Smiley had in the 120s rushing and Dunlap passed for 132 give or take, by the time you added in Cook-Cash's runs (I realize the kick-off return is not counted in rushing stats), a couple of nice ones by Burton, the 20-yard "sneak" by Dunlap, and a few isolated ones by Cox, Miller, and Noah Smiley, I would assume RHS was around or perhaps over the 400 yard mark. So we were probably looking at a combined 800 yards or more.

Reactions: RedPride81
I might owe Mr. Smiley an apology here this morning. In my commentary about the championship game, I may have minimized his role in it because watching in real time, it seemed as if he had fewer carries than usual and that his only "big one" of the day was the 58 yarder in the first quarter that set up the tying field goal. It appeared from that point on that the Gladiators went away from him as a primary threat and that other younger players made the more explosive plays of the day.

But upon reading the media coverage, I see that he was still the leading rusher on the day and had another of his many 100+ yard games, even if he failed to score. While on that subject, it was discussed in the stands yesterday about whether he needed another TD to hit 100 or if he had perhaps reached that milestone last week at West Point. But one of the papers said today that he did in fact end his career with exactly 100 TDs.

On a related note, another poster yesterday said that they would be interested in seeing the stats for yesterday's game. So does anyone know if they are available anyplace? This same paper I just referenced said that Pickett threw for 300 yards but that the Gladiators held the Tide to 70 yards rushing on 29 carries. Therefore Galax's total offense was 370.

If Smiley had in the 120s rushing and Dunlap passed for 132 give or take, by the time you added in Cook-Cash's runs (I realize the kick-off return is not counted in rushing stats), a couple of nice ones by Burton, the 20-yard "sneak" by Dunlap, and a few isolated ones by Cox, Miller, and Noah Smiley, I would assume RHS was around or perhaps over the 400 yard mark. So we were probably looking at a combined 800 yards or more.
I think the Roanoke times had the game stats. RH had like 355 rushing and 132 passing. Galax had 313 passing, I believe and 80 or 90 rushing

Here you go Sir. MT FAN 91 posted these in Galax Forum.

I think you can take 60 away from Galax. For some reason someone put the kicker with a 60 yard run. So almost 900 of offense.

Then toss in 206 yards in combined kickoff returns and that's a crazy amount of yardage for a state title game!

Thanks for that link. I am amazed to see that level of detail. However as reported, the Galax kicker certainly did not rush for a 60 yard TD! Also the Dunlap family would certainly want to see their Senior Isaiah properly credited for his crucial endzone interception. But for the most part I am sure this source can be considered accurate.

The time of possession and number of plays does not surprise me. It was obvious from watching that Galax had more steady drives whereas Riverheads was more big bam boom, which is not always the typical RHS style.

so have we figured out how many tds smiley ended up with for his career, i thought he was short of 100, and someone posted he had 100, either way he had a stellar career him and armstrong started as 9th graders and ended with a 50 and 3 record and first 2 to get 4 rings,

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT