Region A championship

Who wins

• King William

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Poquoson

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
Oct 16, 2021
Both teams play a decent schedule with few of the same opponents. KW has had Poquoson’s number when playing at home. Does Poquoson have the team to knock off reigning region A champs or does KW run away with the game?

Personally I think it will be a close first half, then KW’s size and athleticism takes over in the second half and blows it open late in the 3rd.
KW doesn’t do anything special, they run the ball off tackle and up the middle. If Tre Robinson is up to speed by the line of scrimmage, good luck bringing him down. They throw the ball usually only if they have too, and not great. They play lights out defense, they fly to the ball, gang tackle, and force turnover. They’re not as flashy as 2021 but they are still very good. If your going to hurt KW you need a proficient passing attack, get to the outside, and have great special teams.

Poquoson has a good defense but except for its last game has no signature wins. Lost to York, Warhill and Lafayette. I see KW winning at home in the 2nd half.

Reactions: KWcavs360
Poquoson has a good defense but except for its last game has no signature wins. Lost to York, Warhill and Lafayette. I see KW winning at home in the 2nd half.
Ahhh the person I would hope comment did haha. The only one whose probably seen both teams play. Every year KW and Poquoson has played Poquoson has had a good defense. Nothing special but they do their job and make it difficult to hit big chunk plays. They will have their handful in a packed house at KW.

I love the makeup of this KW team. Very Blue collar team. Great running attack and excellent line play on both sides of the ball and probably the best KW defense I've seen since 2011. No matter how much things change in the sport, I still stand by you have to have a strong run game, great play in the trenches and an excellent defense. Not to mention they have a great coaching staff led by Coach Moore.

I love the makeup of this KW team. Very Blue collar team. Great running attack and excellent line play on both sides of the ball and probably the best KW defense I've seen since 2011. No matter how much things change in the sport, I still stand by you have to have a strong run game, great play in the trenches and an excellent defense. Not to mention they have a great coaching staff led by Coach Moore.
So is your line better than last year? That group was excellent.

So is your line better than last year? That group was excellent.
Younger but physical and good size. I would say the O-line isn’t as great as last year but when you have someone like Claiborne it was hard to tell where the weak spots were. The D-line is spectacular this year tho, really the whole defense has found their groove. Defending the run is their strong suite but they’ve made adjustments throughout the year and their secondary is looking great.

Younger but physical and good size. I would say the O-line isn’t as great as last year but when you have someone like Claiborne it was hard to tell where the weak spots were. The D-line is spectacular this year tho, really the whole defense has found their groove. Defending the run is their strong suite but they’ve made adjustments throughout the year and their secondary is looking great.
Best thing about this year's O line is only one senior. Very talented group upfront and very physical

Yeah this O-line has been together since they were 5 years old. Will be a great group next season with some very talented JV backs moving up.
With the 12U KW team just winning the Metro Championship that consists of entirely Richmond area teams other than KW, the future remains very bright for KW. Current 7th grader Zai Shelton, the brother of KW quarterback Kaleb Shelton is a future star for KW and will make some noise on JV next year, along with several other players as well.

Sounds like KW has a lot in the tank. Great tradition in KW county for football. Equally important, KW is a very well coached football team. There are many schools and towns on or close to the "Rivers" (York, Potomoc, Rapp, Mattaponi) that have great talent and athletes and KW is certainly one of them, but the coaching is elite.

I would have given Poquoson a good chance if playing at home in this game, but playing at KW, I just don't see it. I think KW will win big. Poquosons last game of the regular season in that 1 point heartbreaking loss cost them the number 1 seed in Region A, and if they win that game, KW would be coming to Poquoson and things would have been interesting. I would still favor KW, but Poquoson would have had a reasonale chance. On the road at KW? I just don't see it, but....that's why they play the games. You never know.

Sounds like KW has a lot in the tank. Great tradition in KW county for football. Equally important, KW is a very well coached football team. There are many schools and towns on or close to the "Rivers" (York, Potomoc, Rapp, Mattaponi) that have great talent and athletes and KW is certainly one of them, but the coaching is elite.

I would have given Poquoson a good chance if playing at home in this game, but playing at KW, I just don't see it. I think KW will win big. Poquosons last game of the regular season in that 1 point heartbreaking loss cost them the number 1 seed in Region A, and if they win that game, KW would be coming to Poquoson and things would have been interesting. I would still favor KW, but Poquoson would have had a reasonale chance. On the road at KW? I just don't see it, but....that's why they play the games. You never know.
You’re right, you have to play the game, I’ve been the underdog before and beat great teams no one expected us too. Poquoson will be hungry and determined to knock KW off. I suspect their will be a big crowd for both teams. Murray stadium should be rocking, KW will be there in full force to cheer on the team. We have a great away stands as well so Poquoson fans will be comfortable and rowdy as well. I remember the first time the two teams played they were in awe that KW has cows at the school for the Agg. Program. Their a great program with great fans, I love this game, starting to turn into a region A rivalry.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Someone already mentioned this but I'll chime in and agree. The Bull Islander's play exceptionally well disciplined defense. They ALWAYS have. For decades. They're never the biggest team, but they're always tough and well prepared. Elliot Duty and his staff prepares that team each week and they make in game changes as well as any staff as I've ever seen.
Now - in full disclosure, I'm a KWHS grad, played for Coach Brookes, played with Coach Moore and a couple others on that staff and I'll ALWAYS bleed Black-N-Gold........but, very cautious of Poquoson. Those boys RELISH the underdog status. They feed off of being told "you can't beat them". I coached a Mighty Mite team in Poquoson for a few years MANY years ago and they were the toughest bunch of kids I've ever been around in my life. I don't know what they feed them boys....but it makes 'em meaner than junkyard dogs. LOL!

I just had a chance to see KW's roster. Yikes! That is a large squad! That won't matter much against Poquoson. As already stated, the Bulls make their living playing and beating larger teams. If KW gets past the Bulls, as I expect they might, they have a good shot at Salem. I don't see that kind of size in region B.

I just had a chance to see KW's roster. Yikes! That is a large squad! That won't matter much against Poquoson. As already stated, the Bulls make their living playing and beating larger teams. If KW gets past the Bulls, as I expect they might, they have a good shot at Salem. I don't see that kind of size in region B.
Region B seems somewhat weaker than A, C, & D.

Imo, size is overestimated. It’s speed and strength that really determines success along with execution.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT