ADVERTISEMENT

Region B Next Season

BullRun66

VaPreps Rookie
Jun 25, 2021
Can Riverheads contend for the Region or will it be the same players as this season

No offense to any other team in Region B, but I think Riverheads wins the region and the question should be, Can any team in B knock off Riverheads from winning the region? Draft has had some great teams and has won B quite a bit, and Riverheads still beats em in regular season most of the time. Those Draft teams that have won the region are also darn good football teams. I just dont see how Riverheads isn't the heavy favorite.

I would never bet against Riverheads. Every year they lose key guys and I think maybe they will be a little down but no, others step up. They will return key big lineman, and the line is where they win on offense. However, the lose of Luke Bryant and Cayden Cash could be big. Those two big, strong backs that block as well as they run will change things for them. Lose Cayden Cash, he is only a junior. I hope he stays at Riverheads. However, he wants to play big time ball. He could easily be playing somewhere else next season to help get him to the big time.

Reactions: Bama1985
I would never bet against Riverheads. Every year they lose key guys and I think maybe they will be a little down but no, others step up. They will return key big lineman, and the line is where they win on offense. However, the lose of Luke Bryant and Cayden Cash could be big. Those two big, strong backs that block as well as they run will change things for them. Lose Cayden Cash, he is only a junior. I hope he stays at Riverheads. However, he wants to play big time ball. He could easily be playing somewhere else next season to help get him to the big time.
For Riverheads it always starts up front. They always have great linemen and blocking scheme. They always seem to have a bevy of backs waiting to step up. I don't know Cook-Cash or his thinking, but he seems to be a very humble kid and I could definitely see him staying. Colleges are going to find you no matter where you're at. Out here in our area, in the middle of nowhere, we've had three kids go D1 in the last year. Claiborne from KW, Robinson from Essex and Seldon from Northumberland, not to mention the numerous kids going to small schools. I've seen so many times where kids think they are going to transfer to greener pastures and ultimately they would have gotten the same offers if they just stayed where they were. I think I've rambled on enough. Lol

Last edited:
No offense to any other team in Region B, but I think Riverheads wins the region and the question should be, Can any team in B knock off Riverheads from winning the region? Draft has had some great teams and has won B quite a bit, and Riverheads still beats em in regular season most of the time. Those Draft teams that have won the region are also darn good football teams. I just dont see how Riverheads isn't the heavy favorite.
Hard to argue this. Stuarts Draft was in the title game two years in a row and I think Riverheads beat them both years. I do think the second year though that some personal foul calls late in the game ( self inflicted on Draft) moved Riverheads into field goal range to win the game. Either way Riverheads will be in the mix for sure.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Hope he stays but u never know CCC is a beast

Reactions: BGfootball95
That run he made in the title game carrying thr back 7 of GW, and then breaking away for a TD was about as good as it gets. Looked like Tommy Frazier and Nebraska carrying the Florida secondary before busting away for a TD many years ago.

Reactions: Bama1985
For Riverheads it always starts up front. They always have great linemen and blocking scheme. They always seem to have a bevy of backs waiting to step up. I don't know Cook-Cash or his thinking, but he seems to be a very humble kid and I could definitely see him staying. Colleges are going to find you no matter where you're at. Out here in our area, in the middle of nowhere, we've had three kids go D1 in the last year. Claiborne from KW, Hammond from Essex and Seldon from Northumberland, not to mention the numerous kids going to small schools. I've seen so many times where kids think they are going to transfer to greener pastures and ultimately they would have gotten the same offers if they just stayed where they were. I think I've rambled on enough. Lol
Slight correction bro…You mean Robinson from Essex. His mother maiden name is Hammond. I know you got mixed up due to his uncle being former Essex star Sterling Hammond. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: kwhs95fan
Since last year there have been rumors that CCC will leave Riverheads after this year to try and get on more peoples radars. It has been mentioned on preps that he has some interest, but just not a lot. people always say that if you can play, recruiters will find you...well how in the heck are they missing him?

I am happy to see that some people have faith that Riverheads can compete in Region 2-B. I of course hope you are right, but I cannot imagine all three of the Bull Run top dogs dropping out of contention so surely at least one of them will be loaded again. Then there is the matter of Stuarts Draft, which was a very young team, and should be better next year. So Riverheads may win the region, as some of you are predicting, but it sure won't be easy.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Buckingham just does not fit here. They don't play any of the other schools in the region. Mountain View and I guess Page are not making the playoffs next year, who is the other?

Buckingham just does not fit here. They don't play any of the other schools in the region. Mountain View and I guess Page are not making the playoffs next year, who is the other?
Lunenburg is moving up to Class 2 and I believe I saw that they're going to be Region A. Well Buckingham and them are in the same district, yet they are Region B. Doesn't make much sense to me. Kinda like in basketball where Carver Academy plays in a Region A district yet is classified as Region B when the playoffs start.

Reactions: BGfootball95
Based on the list of teams that will be in Region B Class 2 next year, I would put Riverheads as the favorite, but I think the gap between them and the rest of the Region B Class 2 schools is going to be smaller than the gap that's been between them and the teams from Region B Class 1. Even if they are not the top dog in the region next year, I can't imagine any one wanting to draw them as an underdog in the playoffs next season...

Lunenburg is moving up to Class 2 and I believe I saw that they're going to be Region A. Well Buckingham and them are in the same district, yet they are Region B. Doesn't make much sense to me. Kinda like in basketball where Carver Academy plays in a Region A district yet is classified as Region B when the playoffs start.

What makes Buckingham/Central placement stranger is the other teams in district being in A. Of course neither of them have been in thise respective Regions for long.

But I think a MUCH stranger one is Sherando (4a). They have been in same Region as long as I remember (maybe named differently etc.)

They have been moved to 4D from 4C. Stranger part of it, 4C gets their playoff teams by Top 4 from each district and then goes District A 4 seed at District B 1 seed etc. So they removed one of those teams.

And by doing so, Region C has 10 teams, Region D 15 teams.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
One good thing about Riverheads being in 2-B next year is that maybe we can FINALLY have the chance to beat Madison County in football if we should ever draw them in the playoffs. I would have to look it up to quote the exact figure but we are something like 0-14 all time against them.

One good thing about Riverheads being in 2-B next year is that maybe we can FINALLY have the chance to beat Madison County in football if we should ever draw them in the playoffs. I would have to look it up to quote the exact figure but we are something like 0-14 all time against them.

Lost 17 in a row starting in 1992 and going through 98. 0-17. Per fourseasonsfootball.com

Riverheads will contend but for me I can not write off the 2 time defending region champion Central. They return a lot of this years team that got meaningful playing time. Strasburg should be contending again they return a lot off of the region runner up season. Clarke was really young this year and return quite a bit. Not sure about Luray or the rest of the region. The 3 not making the playoffs if I had to guess would be Mountain View, Page and Madison. Should be a competitive region for sure. I would love to get a rematch with Strasburg and Riverheads like we had in 98. It was 15-7 Strasburg win in a slug fest at Strasburg that was one of the hardest hitting games I was ever apart of.

Riverheads will contend but for me I can not write off the 2 time defending region champion Central. They return a lot of this years team that got meaningful playing time. Strasburg should be contending again they return a lot off of the region runner up season. Clarke was really young this year and return quite a bit. Not sure about Luray or the rest of the region. The 3 not making the playoffs if I had to guess would be Mountain View, Page and Madison. Should be a competitive region for sure. I would love to get a rematch with Strasburg and Riverheads like we had in 98. It was 15-7 Strasburg win in a slug fest at Strasburg that was one of the hardest hitting games I was ever apart of.
I remember the 99 playoff game at our place, we were up 14-0 and muffed the punt, yall recovered and ended up scoring, if I remember correctly it was tied at 35 late and we fumbled and yall took the lead 42-35 we were driving for the tying score and turned it over again. One of the best games I attended. Might have some of the details wrong but its been a few years ago. Haha. Looking forward to seeing some great football in 2B.

I very much remember that fumble right in front of the Strasburg bench. Back then they kind of had our number, although we did manage to win once up at their place. The final was 13-9 and it came during a stretch in the 80s when we had a lengthy regular-season series with them.

I can not recall who the running back was on the 98 team when they came to Strasburg but he was a bull and meeting him in the whole left you sore. It was a great game with 2 great coaches on the sidelines. Coach Proctor for Strasburg and Coach Casto for Riverheads. Two of the greatest men you could ever meet or want to play football for.

I remember that Casto was livid after that 15-7 game you mentioned. RHS threw a TD pass that was called back on a holding penalty, which obviously impacted the results of the game. I don't remember his exact words but he was shown on the news afterwards and he certainly let it be known that he was not happy with the officiating in that one.

Reactions: BullRun66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT