ADVERTISEMENT

Region D

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
A couple of comments on a different thread that I wanted to get some more opinions about.

"I will be surprised if Salem makes it out of Region D this year. With that being said, Salem has surprised me before!! On paper, Salem will have a down year. Unless some of the underclassmen developed/have developed a lot this off season."

"Who in Region D is beating Salem though?"

Region A & D had the biggest divide between 1st and 2nd. Region B is always the most competitive. Region C was also very competitive last year.

So to reiterate Bo's question- who in Region D will beat Salem? Here are last years records from Region D.

Salem 13-2
Jefferson Forest 10-2
EC Glass 9-4
Handley 8-4
Millbrook 7-4
GW Danville 6-5
Liberty Beal 5-6
Sherando 5-6
Orange 5-5
Halifax 4-6
James Wood 4-6
Amherst 3-7
Mecklenburg 2-8
Blacksburg 2-8
Charlottesville 0-10

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
IMO I still think Salem wins Reg D, but I think the gap probably narrows between 1 & 2. Without knowing who returns the most, I'd probably say Glass would be my pick for having the best shot of beating Salem. That being said, JF surprised me last year, and depending on what they return they may have the best shot. IDK what to expect out of the NWD teams. What do you guys think?

I see another Tusky/Salem state semi. One of the better games I saw this past year.

Salem has some of the better athletes in C4 in Coen Logan and Josiah Persinger, who will not be any fall off from Peyton Lewis at the RB position.

GW and JF will more than likely have the best offensive and defensive lines of the southern division teams in terms of size and skill. I wasn’t as impressed with Salem’s lines last year but their speed negated a lot of that and they were still a play away from being state champs.

I could be very wrong but I like:
1. Salem
2. GW (line play will be very good and they have some speed/3 year starter at QB).
3. JF
4. Handley (just a guess; Sherando could be top 4)
5. Glass (could easily be top 4; I like GW in their matchup this year).

1. Salem
2. GW
3. Glass
4. JF
5. Sherando/Handley

GW and JF will be the best up front. Cabell should have a great senior year, and GW always brings the speed. Pair that with a great line and they should be a threat to Salem.

JF has a stud linebacker/TE in that will have a breakout year. Blake their Wr and corner should have a big senior year. J

GW and Salem return their quarterbacks as seniors.

I like what I saw out of Sherando when they played Glass. However I don't know much about them.

Logan and Persinger have the baton now. Salem knows what to do come playoff time.

This is a defining year for Lovelace and staff. Glass graduated all of their O Line but one, and graduated their top 3 running backs. However, they return their Qb Max Calloway who had over 1200 yards passing while splitting Qb duties. Glass will have the best WR corps in the Region with Sam Treacy, Jamar Smith(2nd Team all State) and JT Osbourne returning.

Salem returned 1 starter on the OL last year. This year they return 3.

They will be 66% better.

I remember seeing them play JV. Should be ok.

Reactions: lyhsports
In no particular order, I believe Glass, GW, and JF should be some of the top teams to challenge Salem for the Region this season. Glass will always have speed, even if their line play isn't what it was. GW was damn good other than dropping an early game to Amherst and they are bringing a lot of those guys back. And I'd like to see the JF/Salem game that we didn't get this past year.

GW would’ve beaten Amherst, Glass and probably JF had they ran the football. GW will be very good up front and they have some athletes. Dinwiddie and Magna Vista will hopefully be closer games this fall.

GW will be tested Early with Varina and Heritage Scrimmages and Dinwiddie Amherst and Glass
Right off the bat the Eagles return 5 OL QB 3 year starter and 1 RB that split time with Eli Bridges last year the WRs will be young on Defense the Eagles return the front 7 the secondary will be young

GW will be tested Early with Varina and Heritage Scrimmages and Dinwiddie Amherst and Glass
Right off the bat the Eagles return 5 OL QB 3 year starter and 1 RB that split time with Eli Bridges last year the WRs will be young on Defense the Eagles return the front 7 the secondary will be young
If you return all 5 OL and the QB and your entire front 7----You better be winning...If not, get your crib on the MLS.

Jaden Glenn and Alex Brandon are very impressive at RB. Mabin, Dixon and Bridges are significant losses for us.

Salems offense doesn’t concern me, they’ll put the points on the board, it’s the defense that is the big ?… they have a lot of big shoes to fill on defense. I should have been more specific on the other thread. But as we all know, even with a good offense, the further you go into the playoffs the harder it is to put points on the board because of talent and coaching.

GW was a lot better team last year than their record was!! The question mark with them is did their coaches learn anything? From the latter part of the season, it seems they did. What was stated earlier in this thread, Glass, not sure what they will have as they have to develope some kids, GW should be solid, JF should be solid.
On paper Salem should be good on offense , but can they keep the other team off the board??? Remains to be seen!! As always I’ll be rooting for Salem!!

Salem is still the team to beat they are in the top spot for good reason. GW should be solid they just have to get those young WR’s and DB’s up to speed quick.

Salem is still the team to beat they are in the top spot for good reason. GW should be solid they just have to get those young WR’s and DB’s up to speed quick.
Salem is always going to be the team to beat in 4D. The whole basis of me saying Salem will be lucky to make it out of 4D. Because it’s theirs to lose. Salem is going to be competitive for sure, always will be. They are the standard in 4D!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT