ADVERTISEMENT

Regional Tournament soccer

Radford beats Fort Chiswell 17-0. A buddy of mine went but said he left at about 15 minutes...it was 8-0 then. Bobcats go to Dan River now
Glenvar 3-1 Floyd: They will go to Giles Monday at 6
Central beats John Battle 1-0: I believe this is a district tourney final, but oh well.
Graham takes VA High 4-1 in that district final.

Region B Quarterfinals

Lee 11
Strasburg 0
(Stenzel scores 5 goals)

Central 2
Stuart's Draft 1

George Mason 9
East Rockingham 0

Clarke County 2
Wilson Memorial 1

JRs season ends 4-2 at Martinsville w some crappy coaching and less than desirable officiating. Martinsville should take the next round but I Don't see them within 3 goals of Giles, only thing that may keep it close is playing on the turf. According to Roanoke times, Nelson w 1 loss to JR gets dropped by Appo 5-1, Giles runs over Glenvar 8-0 and Dan River sends Radford home.

JRs season ends 4-2 at Martinsville w some crappy coaching and less than desirable officiating. Martinsville should take the next round but I Don't see them within 3 goals of Giles, only thing that may keep it close is playing on the turf. According to Roanoke times, Nelson w 1 loss to JR gets dropped by Appo 5-1, Giles runs over Glenvar 8-0 and Dan River sends Radford home.

That score was the Appo Nelson girls game. The Nelson boys defeated Appo 3-0. 2 late goals by Nelson stretches out the difference.

That score was the Appo Nelson girls game. The Nelson boys defeated Appo 3-0. 2 late goals by Nelson stretches out the difference.

My bad, good ole Hokie times with their usual mistakes. Thought that sounded like a big upset.

Here we go:
Giles 8-0 Glenvar: Pretty good showing after being off so long
Martinsville 4-2 James River: If you allow Travis to score three, there is no way you win.
DR 3-0 Radford: Thought it would be a one point game...shows what I know.
Nelson 3-0 Appo: I really wanted this match with Martinsville.
Maggie Walker 1-0 Nandua: interesting...
Arcadia 1-0 Bruton: The little 7 seed that could.
Nottoway and Greensville both win in Region A as well.

Region D goes down to the following:
Graham v. Lebanon
VA High v. Union

Here we go:
Martinsville 4-2 James River: If you allow Travis to score three, there is no way you win.
DR 3-0 Radford: Thought it would be a one point game...shows what I know.
Nelson 3-0 Appo: I really wanted this match with Martinsville.
Maggie Walker 1-0 Nandua: interesting...
Arcadia 1-0 Bruton: The little 7 seed that could.
Nottoway and Greensville both win in Region A as well.

Region D goes down to the following:
Graham v. Lebanon
VA High v. Union
Yes, well done Arcadia. They lost both regular season games to Nandua, but are advancing to the next round. I guess the Region A reseeds for the semi-final because according to the VHSL brackets, Arcadia is playing Greensville instead of Maggie Walker.

P.S. Walker should have been a 2 or 3 seed.

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
Yes, well done Arcadia. They lost both regular season games to Nandua, but are advancing to the next round. I guess the Region A reseeds for the semi-final because according to the VHSL brackets, Arcadia is playing Greensville instead of Maggie Walker.

P.S. Walker should have been a 2 or 3 seed.

I agree with that on Walker. I never saw their win over Nandua as much of an upset. It was a toss-up game.
I saw that and wonder why take the time to reseed? Extra work in my opinion.

Graham 7-4 Lebanon
VA High 5-0 Union

Graham and VA High will play for the 5th time this season on Thursday. Graham has won 3 of the previous 4.

Here we go:

When your team gets most if the calls it doesn't hurt your chances either. Calls were 2-1 in home teams favor

Region B Semifinal

George Mason 7 Clarke County 1

That sets up the long awaited match between Lee and Mason on Friday in Staunton at 5 pm. If you want to see good high school soccer, try to make it to the game!

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
Class 6A, Region C Semifinal
JEB Stuart 5 (PK) TC Williams 4

Mason played a scrimmage with Stuart back in March. They were down 0-2 with 20 minutes to go but the power went out and the match was abandoned. The score was actually closer than it looks as Mason missed a PK and several shots just missed. They were definitely holding their own when the lights went out.

Giles by 4, with a rematch in the state semi's and on the girls tournament any guesses as to why the VHSL "reset" the brackets starting with the semifinal games?

I was thinking Giles 4-1 over Nelson. However, I do look for both Region C teams to head to Radford for the state semifinals.

Region A:
Arcadia moves on 1-0 with Greensville to play Maggie Walker (Won 9-0 over Nottoway) in the finals.
Regardless of result of the final, Arcadia has a lot to be proud of.

So the final 8 will be:
Maggie Walker
Arcadia
Robert E. Lee
George Mason
Giles
Nelson County
Graham
Virginia High

Those are listed by Region; not ranked

Region A:
Arcadia moves on 1-0 with Greensville to play Maggie Walker (Won 9-0 over Nottoway) in the finals.
Regardless of result of the final, Arcadia has a lot to be proud of.

So the final 8 will be:
Maggie Walker
Arcadia
Robert E. Lee
George Mason
Giles
Nelson County
Graham
Virginia High

Those are listed by Region; not ranked
Just out of curiosity, I looked at the map: Arcadia has travelled 210 miles (Goochland), 131 miles (Bruton) and 172 miles (Greensville). They'll travel 180 miles tomorrow for the Region final. Sitting on a bus for hours, playing a game and then getting back home late in the night is tough. They do have a lot to be proud of.

Graham and VA High were washed out. Region D final will be Saturday now. Good luck to the other region finalist tonight.

Lee 3 Mason 0
Lee played an excellent game and deserved the win. Mason was unlucky with one shot off the bar and two shots saved off the line by defenders. I've heard that Maggie Walker beat Arcadia, but haven't seen the score. Walker will host Mason and Lee will host Arcadia. Another long bus drive for them.

Giles 4-0 Nelson County.
Nelson Defense played very well. Just couldn't get any possession together, so they took a beating all night long. Giles will host loser of Region D today. Nelson makes a very long trip to either Bluefield or Bristol.

Lee 3 Mason 0
Lee played an excellent game and deserved the win. Mason was unlucky with one shot off the bar and two shots saved off the line by defenders. I've heard that Maggie Walker beat Arcadia, but haven't seen the score. Walker will host Mason and Lee will host Arcadia. Another long bus drive for them.
The local paper (The News Leader) didn't even list the score in Saturday's print edition (which costs $41/month).

Thanks - but you'd think it could put it in a $41/month print version. The match was over at 3 pm - plenty of time to meet the News Leader's 5 pm deadline.
Don't feel bad. Not even a mention of the Riverheads baseball and softball teams winning regional championships for the first time in history. I mean in print or online. That's pitiful. Online stories right now are 3 stories on Lee soccer, 2 on Draft girls soccer and the story about Fort and Waynesboro leaving the Valley District. Disgraceful as the readership goes beyond Staunton. Drop the print edition and just go online for $10 a year when they run a special offer. There is certainly a bias towards certain teams like it or not.

Giles 4-0 Nelson County.
Nelson Defense played very well. Just couldn't get any possession together, so they took a beating all night long. Giles will host loser of Region D today. Nelson makes a very long trip to either Bluefield or Bristol.

As I mentioned in an earlier post "Giles by 4" lucky or educated guess not sure which. Nelsons only other loss came by JR on Nelson home field, imagine that. It's a shame JR couldn't play like they were capable of when it counted, I give a lot of credit to the coach on that one. He has never been a "motivator" in my opinion and has never been able to get the kids at their best when it really counts.
When you play Giles their offense is so strong your defense has to work the whole game and the offense never really gets into the flow of the game. Good luck to Giles, represent the TRD and hope they bring the trophy to our side of the state this year.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad. Not even a mention of the Riverheads baseball and softball teams winning regional championships for the first time in history. I mean in print or online. That's pitiful. Online stories right now are 3 stories on Lee soccer, 2 on Draft girls soccer and the story about Fort and Waynesboro leaving the Valley District. Disgraceful as the readership goes beyond Staunton. Drop the print edition and just go online for $10 a year when they run a special offer. There is certainly a bias towards certain teams like it or not.
Sports writers Steve Cox, Hubert Grim III, & William Meade left the Staunton paper for the Waynesboro News Virginian.

Virginia High defeats Graham 1-0 in ot.
Graham v. Giles round 3 Tuesday while Nelson takes a long drive to Bristol.

Virginia High defeats Graham 1-0 in ot.
Graham v. Giles round 3 Tuesday while Nelson takes a long drive to Bristol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT