ADVERTISEMENT

Restricted area question/running clock ?'s

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
Are members of the Media and statistians allowed to "go beyond" 25 yard line during game ?

When one team has 35 point lead in 2nd half and the running clock deal is in place, is the clock still suppossed to be stopped on "change of possession" and "penalty flags" ?

Media and stats people cannot be within 2 yards of the field. Who a team allows in its team box is pretty much up to the coach. Officials are not going to make that our issue (at least not in my area).

The running clock is, in almost every case, a situation where NEITHER coach wants it stopped. If it was running during those times was one coach asking for it to be stopped? Doubt it. In most cases I've been with both coaches have told me "we want to get out of here."

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
Are members of the Media and statistians allowed to "go beyond" 25 yard line during game?

As long as they behave (aren't yelling at the players or officials) they're usually allowed from goal line to goal line, outside the 2 yard belt around the field.

Per the VHSL rulings we've received, the modified timing rules cannot be put into effect until after the second half kickoff and only when there is at least a 35-point differential. The modified timing rules are not a "running clock", but an expansion to when the clock continues to run. Specifically, the following occurences will not cause the clock to stop:
Ball going out of bounds
Incomplete pass

On any kickoff in the second half (except the one to start the half), the clock will start with the "ready for play" whistle, rather than the first time it's touched.

This means that the clock will STILL stop for timeouts (either charged to a team or official's - and any penalty timeout is an official's timeout), first downs (in order to move the chains), and changes of possession (in which case it will, like usual, start with the snap). The clock DOES stop when there's a score and won't start until the subsequent kickoff's ready for play.

Those are the VHSL rulings. We've worked private school games where they have a REAL running clock rule and it goes into effect as soon as the differential is reached - no matter what quarter it is. In those cases the clock doesn't stop until the quarter ends.
This post was edited on 9/19 10:36 AM by Fadamor

So, in order to finish the game the fastest under VHSL modified timing rules, in the second half both teams should:
1. Not score
2. Not have any penalties
3. Drive the length of the field before turning the ball over on downs
4. avoid timeouts

In that way, the only time the clock stops is briefly to reset the chains on first downs and longer on change of possessions. Scores and penalties have the bigggest potential for clock stoppages (on a touchdown, the clock is stopped from the score - THROUGH the try - and all the way to the subsequent kickoff ready for play).
This post was edited on 9/19 10:52 AM by Fadamor

Re: no clock stoppage

I don't think I have ever seen the "running clock" rule, enforced correctly. If I were a coach, I would make sure I used all 3 TOs in half, just "for heck of it" to protest my thoughts on the rule. Coaches need "time" to play backups and get them experience.

Re: Restricted area

There was a game Friday night where the official along the sideline said no one was allowed pass 25 yard line. He specifically said media, stat personnel,& medical personnel were not allowed pass the box. He also said they could not be on the track pass the box.

Have you considered that not all coaches agree with you and that is why they don't use all their timeouts to "protest?" In fact, why kind of "protest" would that be? It's not like it's having an effect on anyone other than the two teams. I can guarantee you that VHSL will never know about such a "protest." If schools didn't want the clock rule, then they didn't have to vote it in.
This post was edited on 9/20 10:58 AM by FBRef

There are lot of rules in all the NFHS rule books, that if if enforced to the letter of the rule it would choke the contest down to nothing but flag throwing and whistle blowing.

The official that's worried so much about what's behind him all the way to the track must be a seasoned vet with great extra sense of sight, sound, etc. What a pro to have all that oob area and the field of play covered...jeez

There's no reason for medical staff to be outside the team box. I would put them back as well. If they're needed on the field, they'll be beckoned.

There's no reason for media to be in the team box. If they're in the box and they pop off (yes, I've had it happen) the team could be penalized.

Like I said, stat people can be outside the team box if they behave. Not all of them can.

As long as the media are outside the 2 yard restraining line that surrounds the field, we don't care where they are. The only time we MIGHT care is if they decided to coach or criticize from their position (hasn't happened yet for me, knock on wood).

Team doctors and/or athletic trainers and their assistants are allowed to shadow the line of scrimmage - again as long as they're outside the restraining line and not coaching/cheering. We encourage them to get the wing's attention if they see something troubling regarding a player's demeanor, or if they feel a heat and humidity break is needed.

I HAVE witnessed school personnel (AD and Principal) sent back to the track surface because they were at the restraining line and vocally complaining about a play that happened a full set of downs earlier.

common sense should apply with "running clock". if team that's winning still has starters in, then it "probably" should run. But if coach has backsups in, getting experience, then clock should not continue to run.

I talked to an old golfing buddy in an association where I've worked a game or two. He said in his game Friday the visiting team was ahead by 50 at half and that coach told the officials he wanted to get out of there as soon as absolutely possible, would rather not stop the clock at all. Said he didn't want any risk of bad blood with a county rival and he has a big game against his brother this coming week. Coaches usually don't care if running clocks are ran more than VHSL guidelines instruct.
This post was edited on 9/21 9:33 AM by White hat

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
common sense should apply with "running clock". if team that's winning still has starters in, then it "probably" should run. But if coach has backsups in, getting experience, then clock should not continue to run.

Exactly how am I supposed to know who the starters are, how deep a team is at a certain position, or how many of the 22 starters should or shouldn't be on the field?

9 times out of 10, coaches in blowouts want to run the clock. We don't have the clock rule in NC. So it's up to the coaches to both agree to run it. It's rare when there's a coach who doesn't want to run the clock, just as White hat stated above.

Situation: 3rd string is on field.(most these guys haven't played all year). they are moving ball toward goal line, penalty is called, clock continues to run, while penalty is "sorted out". Game ends before the 3rd stringers have chance to put ball into end zone. Granted in a 50-0 game, everyone wants to "get out of there", but sometimes common sense needs to prevail.

It makes no difference. It's not what coaches want.

Originally posted by FBRef:
It makes no difference. It's not what coaches want.
Then the coaches need to get the VHSL to change their policy. This IS a part of the NFHS rulebook that is left up to the individual states. Until the coaches get the VHSL to change their policy, they'll get the current VHSL modified timing rules in any game our association works.

There's a discussion on another board where the opposing coaches didn't like the Restricted Area rule and lobbied the officials to waive the rule for their game. Didn't work for them, either.

Fadamor, please read and comprehend before you jump into the middle of a discussion.

My post was in reply to the last post by HR6. Read what he says and read my reply. Then, maybe you'll understand.

Coaches want the running clock rule or it wouldn't be in place. Is that clear enough for you?

The VHSL should not be allowed to modify the NFHA rules. NFHA is governing body for high school sports. They are the "printers" of the rule book for each sport. I know coaches who hate clock rule, and some who love it. I have seen it used in first half of a game, when both coaches apparently agreed to it. No one should be allowed to change a rule book.

It doesn't change the Rules Book. On page 23 or the Rules Book, (Rule 1-7, if you want to know) says: Every state association has the authority to make decisions and provide coverage relative to a number of specific rules and may individually adopt specific coverage relative to the following:

Then it lists 16 things, of which #10 is: establishing a point differential to terminate games or use a running clock when the point differential is reached.

Good job White hat. I like it whan an official gives the information from the rule book and where to find it.

Fadamor, please read and comprehend before you jump into the middle of a discussion.

My post was in reply to the last post by HR6. Read what he says and read my reply. Then, maybe you'll understand.

Coaches want the running clock rule or it wouldn't be in place. Is that clear enough for you?
What's clear is, as I originally stated, there IS no "running clock rule" in the VHSL, unlike North Carolina where you work. So if "Coaches want the running clock rule" in Virginia under VHSL rules, then they're going to have to lobby the VHSL to amend their modified timing rule policy.

You're quite confused.

The VHSL uses modified timing rules. This is what HR6 and I were discussing. If coaches didn't want the rule, it wouldn't be in place.

There is no running clock rule in NC. If coaches agree, it's a gentlemen's agreement and we will run it.
This post was edited on 9/23 8:31 AM by FBRef

You're right. I AM confused...

The VHSL uses modified timing rules. This is what HR6 and I were discussing. If coaches didn't want the rule, it wouldn't be in place

Ahh! Now that you've changed your stance, I'll agree with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT