ADVERTISEMENT

Richlands 55 Virginia 14

Ryan4VT

VaPreps Varsity
Asbury went 20-23 for 381 and 7 TD. 7 TD is the school single game record. 381 yards is 3 shy of record.

Howie had 9 catches for 285 and 4 TD. The 96 yarder he caught on the 2nd play of the game is the school record as well. His 285 breaks his own record he set last year at Bluefleld and 4 TD ties the record.

VHS didn't have anyone on the field who could even come close to covering 11. In addition to those 9 catches, he also drew 2 or 3 PI calls, and one defensive holding call.

If Richlands can keep this up, they won't need a running game until they come up against an Appo or one of the other elite 2A teams.

Very interested to see how we look against Bluefield's speed on defense. Richlands will be fired up having the 06 state title team back. I'm sure they'll also wanna play hard against Fuller (Richlands transfer playing QB at Bluefield).

Reactions: Bigrhsfan
Yep....heaven forbid a family moving to another place and bringing kids with them...same ole song and dance...get over yourself..

People not from SWVA don't know big awesome the Richlands metropolis is! A booming economy, so many job opportunities, and things to do on every corner! That's why kids transfer there! You're crazy to think they just come to play football!

People not from SWVA don't know big awesome the Richlands metropolis is! A booming economy, so many job opportunities, and things to do on every corner! That's why kids transfer there! You're crazy to think they just come to play football!
You mean kinda like how those who transferred across that state line because the city of Bluefield, VA has so much more to do than the WV side?

Reactions: Bigrhsfan
Yep....heaven forbid a family moving to another place and bringing kids with them...same ole song and dance...get over yourself..
Pump your breaks there big fella. I couldn't care less about transfers. A Richlands poster made a comment about a transfer to Bluefield. No big deal but...if you have such thin skin about transfers to your school, you may need to stay away from message boards.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
You mean kinda like how those who transferred across that state line because the city of Bluefield, VA has so much more to do than the WV side?

Yeah, kinda just like that.

There's no Walmart in Bluefield West.

Reactions: Ryan4VT

Moving and transferring are two different things.

Or does Webster's consider them synonymous now?

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
There are obviously some "issues" down in y'alls area with transfers. You boys fight it out. Y'all are too touchy for me.

There are obviously some "issues" down in y'alls area with transfers. You boys fight it out. Y'all are too touchy for me.
At this point, I'm used to it. We wore 1/8" too long cleats against Salem in the 1992 state semifinal (I was two at the time and still catch hell for it), and we have the winningest 2A program in the state since 2000 and that makes good players want to come play for us so their families move here so their kid can play football for us. I've settled that we will be picked at until the end of time because of these two things, and I have went numb at this point. /endrant

Somebody (2027) did. But I guess your last post was the Richlands way of not complaining!?!?

It is obvious you want the last word so go ahead big guy.

Somebody (2027) did. But I guess your last post was the Richlands way of not complaining!?!?

It is obvious you want the last word so go ahead big guy.

It is always something who is BH always brings up, if you didn't for that purpose i understand but its just a constant that occurs and it gets old.

I am sure no one wants to lose a solid athlete to another program but in the end if the athlete and parent are making the decision, who are any of us to have a say in that. Transfer/move, how is it any of our business because in the end it's not our child. I read this every few years on here and it's laughable. Losers focus on what the competition is doing instead of focusing on gettin better themselves

I can honestly say that Appomattox only has people on the team that the families lived here for years. Our NC State guy Graves family is actually from Rustburg, but his dad was a policeman for appomattox for years and then he was married to an appomattox lady for a few years. So Graves was grown up in Appo even though his family is 20 miles away.
The kid I said came up from Pensacola couldnt even be put on the team because he got into some trouble before he made move up and his Grandmothers house is on the line, he had to go to Randolph Henry this year, he practiced with Appo all summer though. SUCKS, he was good. I dont even think he playing now for R.H., he got a job at Hardees.
We never get a transfer because there is nothing in Appomattox that would draw a family here.
I do get a little sensitive with the transfer/move issue. I question the motives of those down in Richlands area because it always seems to be a thing on the board year after year. Not saying they cheating the VHSL rulebook, but it sure does make it unfair to some of the other schools in yalls area.
Same thing happens to Neslon and Amherst. Nelson will never have a solid program, because the athletes that are solid go to Amherst. I would name a few, but Im not (that came from a coach at Nelson). OH GOSH, let me brace for impact, here comes the Amherst fans to bash me.

Reactions: eh31
beating-dead-horse.gif

Reactions: 2027
Aman Ryan ! I'm sure most of the people that complain about this would tell the players they couldn't come to their school........yea right !

i dont think its about beating a dead horse at all. i think its about enough allegations towards same group. it needs to be investigated a little more by vhsl. I think any championships yall have in future need to have an asterisk behind it with all the allegations behind the name of Richlands. I say that because i dont know ya history, but what i do know is there are many that have came fwd with these same concerns? I got yall winning quite a few state championships in the upcoming years, Appo about to take a nose dive soon and that is no secret. Got plenty out there close to us licking chops already.

That's crazy. An asterisk behind any future championship that may not ever happen? I can assure you that kids move all the time all across this country. I've talked about this until I'm blue in the face. There's nothing new to add. Quit beating the dead horse and talk about football.

Ryan, I think the best thing we can do is not even respond to these kind of post's any more. Most have already convicted Richlands because they heard something on a forum, most of which is just ignorance, and it doesn't matter what we or anybody else say. The more we try to defend it, the more it gives it life and we are not going to change anybody's mind.
So I am from this point on gonna just ignore it.

Reactions: 2027 and Ryan4VT
Ryan, I think the best thing we can do is not even respond to these kind of post's any more. Most have already convicted Richlands because they heard something on a forum, most of which is just ignorance, and it doesn't matter what we or anybody else say. The more we try to defend it, the more it gives it life and we are not going to change anybody's mind.
So I am from this point on gonna just ignore it.

I'm with ya.

$5 says you can't ignore any perceived negative comments about your team, transfers, etc. It seems as though you like talking about it; given all your posts about NOT caring.
Talk negative all you want about games. I'm done talking about transfers and cleats.

I'll happily talk about the game if you want, though. Should be a high scoring affair.

My gosh, transfers/moving/alleged illegal players or not does it really matter? They are on the team either way so lace em up and beat them with there "unfairness." Sorry to say this, because I see this on here every year about different teams, and this isn't close to the worst I have seen, but football is a mans game, not a whiners game. Look, it doesn't matter to me if Richlands or anyone else wins or loses every game unless they play my alma mater and then of course I hope my team wins, but hearing these things year after year and they don't get in trouble? You guys don't really think Virginia Preps is the only place this is brought up do you? You know there are those people that are contacting VHSL. So what would you have them do? Go to every kids place that is on certain teams? You do realize that IF someone is cheating, they aren't going to be obvious about it.

As much as ANYONE on here wants to think things are about them as fans, its about the KIDS, not the adults. Yes fans are great, and we could have all americans from past for all I know, but guess what? Nobody on the sidelines or in the stands can go out there and do it for them, so isn't all this moot? The kids are on the team, so if the teams have an issue, go out there and handle it in the right way, beat them on the field, not beat up their fans on a message board

Talk negative all you want about games. I'm done talking about transfers and cleats.

I'll happily talk about the game if you want, though. Should be a high scoring affair.
I knew my money was safe! The more you comment about (or say that you won't), the more you keep it alive. I truly could not care less about transfers/relocations/moves (whatever they are called). Most people on this message board do not care about it either, IMHO.

Programs rise, fall, rebuild, life goes on. Madison was a state powerhouse in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Gretna had one of the best runs ever (kind of a worst to first situation). Riverheads used to be on everybody's homecoming list but look at them now. There are many more examples. But with success comes resentment from others. All successful programs receive their share of accusations, finger pointing and negative comments; it comes with the territory.

You only make it worse when you react to EVERY post, and follow that up with "this is last comment about it" but yet make more comments about that very thing. I would suggest that you just enjoy the success of your team and know that most who say something less than flattering probably wish their team was at that level.

Last edited:
I have always tried to figure out why this "recruitment" thing is always brought up. Richlands has played in 4 title games since 2000 correct? They won 1? These where in Division 3? Have not played for a title in 2A? So if they do recruit can someone tell me what is has done for their program?

10-0 or 9-1 beating up on their neighbors. But that isn't hard to do when those same teams have lost their better kids in the process. Not saying it's recruiting, just facts here. You look really good beating the county rivals, but when you are doing it with the players that those teams were counting on, it's not really a challenge.

I got it. I was being sarcastic. The great SW appears to be incapable of self deprecating humor.

Richlands appears to be an above average program with reportedly great facilities, loyal fans and a really good coaching staff. They are in the hunt most years but definitely not the prohibitive favorite every season. So if they are getting transfers, it has not translated into the juggernaut one would expect. I do not think anyone argues that they do get a few transfers but probably no more than other really good programs.

Last edited:
I was just stating that its not like it has translated into 8 state titles in 16 years. Other schools have above average programs year in and year out. Is that saying they have recruits? It is a DEAD HORSE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT