ADVERTISEMENT

Richlands @ Graham

Ryan4VT

VaPreps Varsity
For the second straight week, Richlands plays a top team in 2A west. Graham features a bevy of skill players. Cousin is the headliner at RB. Richlands was one of the only teams to shut him down last year.

Richlands looked sloppy on offense for 40 minutes of the Union game. The first two minutes and the final 6 + OT, we woke up and showed flashes of that offense from last year. They'll need to get that going quickly this week.

Graham's defense is their weakness, specifically in the secondary. This plays into Richlands favor. Look for this game to look like a Big 12 game with a lot of offense.

Going to be a very large crowd at Mitchell this week. This game is on Thursday, so many from other towns are coming to watch this one.

Reactions: Bigrhsfan
For the second straight week, Richlands plays a top team in 2A west. Graham features a bevy of skill players. Cousin is the headliner at RB. Richlands was one of the only teams to shut him down last year.

Richlands looked sloppy on offense for 40 minutes of the Union game. The first two minutes and the final 6 + OT, we woke up and showed flashes of that offense from last year. They'll need to get that going quickly this week.

Graham's defense is their weakness, specifically in the secondary. This plays into Richlands favor. Look for this game to look like a Big 12 game with a lot of offense.

Going to be a very large crowd at Mitchell this week. This game is on Thursday, so many from other towns are coming to watch this one.
what has that RB from graham done thus far?

I haven't seen the official stats, but I think he's around 300-400 yards and several touchdowns. He's been subbed out plus other playmakers have stepped up so his stats are probably a little down this far.
I got to see some film on this guy? has he had any looks?

Cousin's stats are down because he hasn't carried the ball as much. Graham had over 600 yards of offense against Bluefield. Cousin touched he ball about ten times for about 150. He touched the ball 9 times for 109 against Tazewell. Graham had nearly 500 yards of offense in that one. Graham has 3 kids who were invited to a VT invite only camp. Cousin and Taymon Cook have been to multiple invites and have drawn interest from several D1 schools... including WVU, Marshall and VT. Cooke is probably more of a big play threat than Cousin. He has taken 2 end arounds to the house and has added a couple TD receptions with his 4.4 speed. If you think Cousin is all that Graham has, then you are mistaken. Add in Jazaire Reed and Chris Chinault at RB who are both averaging over 10 ypc... and Cameron Allen who has a couple of early season TDs on big plays and Chandler Cooper who has made a few big gainers. Oh and don't forget the QB Ben Meade who has shredded defenses in his first two games running the offense. Cousin is most valuable on defense where he has made numerous tackles.....along with Dante Vineyard and Reed. This is a much more versatile and athletic team than last season. They have about 6 guys that can take it to the house on any given play. Lots of speed on offense and an improved defense from last season. Their weakness so far has been defending the pass. But they have been trying to get better in that area. Can't wait to see how they match up withRchlands this Thursday. Don't think it will be anything like last season's enmbarrasmentdown there. These kids have been working hard and have improved tremendously.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
I don't think anybody from Richlands has any notion that this years game will look anything like last year, believe me, we know how good Graham is and know that if the Blues don't start faster and play better, then they could walk out of Mitchell with a loss.
It should be a barn burner, but Graham's ability to run the ball worries me, I guess we will see if the blues d makes any improvements this week against the run. The problem is, if you pay too much attention on Graham's running game, they can burn you in the passing game this year with all their speed.
If JLA is on his game it is also hard to cover all the blues receivers, if the line can give him the time.
Should be a really fun game to watch. Talent and speed all over the field !

Meade is really good at throwing on the run, not so much as a straight pocket passer. And don't underestimate Cousin's ability to block. He has steamrolled some people this year clearing the way for Meade. If you focus on them, Graham will pop it up the middle with Jazzy Reed. Then when a team decides to stack the box, that's when Graham looks for their two favorite receiving targets, Cooke and Allen. Cooke has a future at the next level. He is a very dynamic player with the ability to score via running, receiving, special teams, and/or on defense.

As for the G-D, their run D is much better than it has been for several years. I also think they've been playing 'posssum with the passing D so far, other than the fact Reed and Collier for Bluefield were faster than anyone on Graham's team.

But never count out Coach Mance and the Big Blue Wind Machine. They've been tearing up southwest Virginia for about a decade or so now. Their offense is going to be fine, they just need to find their rhythm and they are getting closer to doing that. Their strength is Graham's weakness and don't think Coach Mance won't find a way to exploit that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Richlands throw the ball on almost every play against Graham. And don't overlook their defense either. Their fans can say its their weak link this season but don't believe them. They are just as good on D as they have been.

I see Richlands winning this one by several TDs. Graham will score but just not enough.

Richlands 48-28.

Just commenting on my feeling about Cousin. He was by far, the best running back I saw last year (in person). My opinion is that he would at least get some D1 interest. I saw Nikki Fisher of Martinsville play several times and Cousin reminds me of him.....maybe not quite as fast in a straight line but very shifty and lots of power.

Just commenting on my feeling about Cousin. He was by far, the best running back I saw last year (in person). My opinion is that he would at least get some D1 interest. I saw Nikki Fisher of Martinsville play several times and Cousin reminds me of him.....maybe not quite as fast in a straight line but very shifty and lots of power.
He has been working with Ahmad Bradshaw in the offseason and has improved quite a bit from last season in his pass protection and blocking and has much better cut back ability. He was working on speed, also. Cousin really hasn't touched the ball much this season, but I expect a heavy workload for Richlands. He can take it to the house on any given play. That's the luxury of having the other weapons that Graham has this year. If Richlands stops Cousin, they have about 5 other weapons with big play potetial. Cooke has 4.4 speed and showed it off at camp last summer and now he is on the radar of a lot of D 1 schools. He has had a few impressive TD's in the first 2 games, going untouched for long yardage.

He has been working with Ahmad Bradshaw in the offseason and has improved quite a bit from last season in his pass protection and blocking and has much better cut back ability. He was working on speed, also. Cousin really hasn't touched the ball much this season, but I expect a heavy workload for Richlands. He can take it to the house on any given play. That's the luxury of having the other weapons that Graham has this year. If Richlands stops Cousin, they have about 5 other weapons with big play potetial. Cooke has 4.4 speed and showed it off at camp last summer and now he is on the radar of a lot of D 1 schools. He has had a few impressive TD's in the first 2 games, going untouched for long yardage.

Cooke is the real deal. Man he's lightning quick. The only player we had that could keep up with him was Howie.

One thing I noticed was Graham seemed to wear down as the game when on as Richlands looked stronger.

Reactions: Bigrhsfan
Game lived up to the billing. Richlands spotted Graham 21 points in the first 9 minutes. Then came back from 21-0 and 24-7 to win the game 31-24. Great game in a great atmosphere with probably around 7k fans there.

Graham is now off.
Richlands hosts Central (Wise).
I admire the fan support down in SWVA. I applaud that about you guys.

Cooke was ten yards behind the defense all night long. He dropped one in the endzone at the end of the game and another one I think in the third quarter that would've been for a score. Graham should have tried to get the ball in the hands of their main guys more in that game. I saw a stat sheet that showed Cousin with 15 carries, but it was more like 9 or 10 (Jazaire Reed wasn't even listed on the same stat sheet and he got carries, so I don't trust it.). Cooke caught 4 passes. I know Graham has other talented kids.....but against the big boys, you have to get the ball to your playmakers and that is Cousin and Cooke.... they weren't targeted enough......
Not sure if it would have made much of a difference, but not a lot of people have mentioned 3 of Graham's linemen on the sideline without their pads on. Dalton (starter) and Dillow (gets limited PT)... Sesco (reserve).... They need every body they can get, their line has no depth.

I admire the fan support down in SWVA. I applaud that about you guys.
I've heard people say anywhere from 6,000 to 7500 at the game last night. Been going to games at Mitchell stadium for over 40 years...the stadium seats 10,000... The Graham side was nearly full... The Richlands side was about 3/4 full. I would estimate the crowd to be more like 8,000.... a lot of the kids just walked around the track the whole time. Biggest crowd I have seen there other than the annual Bluefield and Graham game which draws about 10,000 to 12,000 or more.

Cooke was ten yards behind the defense all night long. He dropped one in the endzone at the end of the game and another one I think in the third quarter that would've been for a score. Graham should have tried to get the ball in the hands of their main guys more in that game. I saw a stat sheet that showed Cousin with 15 carries, but it was more like 9 or 10 (Jazaire Reed wasn't even listed on the same stat sheet and he got carries, so I don't trust it.). Cooke caught 4 passes. I know Graham has other talented kids.....but against the big boys, you have to get the ball to your playmakers and that is Cousin and Cooke.... they weren't targeted enough......
Not sure if it would have made much of a difference, but not a lot of people have mentioned 3 of Graham's linemen on the sideline without their pads on. Dalton (starter) and Dillow (gets limited PT)... Sesco (reserve).... They need every body they can get, their line has no depth.

I dont see why they didnt throw it to cooke every play if they were just gonna man up on him. Why put howie back there at safety if hes not gonna help cover the deep ball.

That's a good call Ryan, Horn did get his hand in there and broke that up. But Graham is the real deal and will be one more dangerous team come the playoffs. Gonna be a hard out for anyone then !
Graham should have gotten the ball to Cousin and Cook more. They are both dangerous weapons. Cousin is also good on D, he can lay the smack down on ya.
Just very proud of how the blues never gave up and knew they could come back and get a win.
Would really like to see them come out a little better to start the game, but they have played some really good football in the 3rd and 4th qtrs.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
http://m.hudl.com/athlete/4182912/jamorya-cousin

People say he has D1 interest but his 247 profile doesn't have any offers or anything.

Has to be something going on off the field for this kid not to have offers. His instincts on both sides of the ball are 2nd to none and the more I see him come up on defense, the more I think he'd be a better safety than running back. Talk about bringing your feet, he is special. Hope things work out for him. I'm calling it now, Appo, Richlands, Graham or Union will hoist the 2A trophy at seasons end.

Has to be something going on off the field for this kid not to have offers. His instincts on both sides of the ball are 2nd to none and the more I see him come up on defense, the more I think he'd be a better safety than running back. Talk about bringing your feet, he is special. Hope things work out for him. I'm calling it now, Appo, Richlands, Graham or Union will hoist the 2A trophy at seasons end.
Them are the same 4 I have, but Goochland looking good too.

Nothing going on off the field. Jamorya is a fine, upstanding young man who puts God first in everything he does. He gives all of the credit to God. He is a very humble young man, who gives credit to his team-mates. He finds his inspiration from the good book and gives all the glory to the man upstairs. I love this kid, he works harder and sets his goals higher than anybody on the team. Graham has truly been blessed to have him on their team, I believe he has been a positive influence on his team-mates to give them inspiration to work harder and strive to be better. Any team would be lucky to have him. And Yes, much like Ahmad Bradshaw when he came out of school, he is being looked at for his defensive and offensive abilities.

Nothing going on off the field. Jamorya is a fine, upstanding young man who puts God first in everything he does. He gives all of the credit to God. He is a very humble young man, who gives credit to his team-mates. He finds his inspiration from the good book and gives all the glory to the man upstairs. I love this kid, he works harder and sets his goals higher than anybody on the team. Graham has truly been blessed to have him on their team, I believe he has been a positive influence on his team-mates to give them inspiration to work harder and strive to be better. Any team would be lucky to have him. And Yes, much like Ahmad Bradshaw when he came out of school, he is being looked at for his defensive and offensive abilities.
thats great to hear right there. im a fan of the kid. cant wait to see what the Lord does with him.

I agree that any of those 4 teams you mentioned could win it all this season. Graham has huge upside, they were out-coached in that game, if you ask me. Mance has the ability to make good adjustments during the game.
how is that an upside being out coached?

I think he's saying with the talent level they have, they have a huge upside. They just need to tighten up the defense and not get out coached. That will come with time. Graham is back.
Thanks for clearing that up Ryan, that is exactly what I meant. Graham has a lot of talent on the field, just got to get better with the x's and o's and the sky is the limit for this team. Some newcomers on the line that should come around by the end of the season too.

Thanks for clearing that up Ryan, that is exactly what I meant. Graham has a lot of talent on the field, just got to get better with the x's and o's and the sky is the limit for this team. Some newcomers on the line that should come around by the end of the season too.
anybody got cousins twitter account, i wantvto folow him. I love to follow kids that place faith on forefront. thatbsame way i raised mine. he knows the Lord blessed him and he gives honor to that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT