ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Scott Jackson

bceagle47

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 17, 2005
Handley Hall Of Famer Scott “Silky” Jackson passed away from cancer. His son Jordan Jackson is a standout athlete at Millbrook starting his senior year at Millbrook. Please keep Silky, Jordan, and his wife Lisa in your prayers and if know them and see them hug them up.

Such a good man, husband, father, and coach.

Handley Hall Of Famer Scott “Silky” Jackson passed away from cancer. His son Jordan Jackson is a standout athlete at Millbrook starting his senior year at Millbrook. Please keep Silky, Jordan, and his wife Lisa in your prayers and if know them and see them hug them up.

Such a good man, husband, father, and coach.
That's rough losing a parent when you're young. Hope he's got a good head on his shoulders to keep him going and a good support system.

Millbrook's Jackson leads team in all phases

5d5852374509d.image.jpg

Millbrook senior Jordan Jackson earned second-team Class 4 All-Northwestern District honors in all three phases last year — wide receiver, cornerback and punt returner.

ROBERT NIEDZWIECKI/The Winchester Star

WINCHESTER — The Millbrook football team doesn't take the task of choosing its leadership group lightly.

Approximately 15 players qualify to be potential members of the team's "senate" based on the number of points they accumulate in the previous year in offseason football workouts and academics. Those candidates are asked to write a paper on why they want to be a leader. Then they have four one-on-one interviews with a select group of teachers to test their leadership qualities. A team vote is also taken to see how the players feel about the potential candidates.

When it's all over with, four players are chosen for the senate. Last year was the first year that Millbrook conducted this process and of the four players chosen, only one wasn't a senior — Jordan Jackson.

Anyone who attends a Millbrook football or basketball game can see the 5-foot-10, 185-pound Jackson's speed (4.56 40-yard dash) and shiftiness whether he's playing wide receiver, cornerback or returning kicks in football or taking the court as a point guard in basketball.

But those who are around him most feel it's Jackson's personality that makes the biggest impact on the team.

"We know whenever we need him, he'll be there," said Millbrook senior running back and defensive back Gavin Evosirch, who's been playing football with Jackson for almost 10 years. "He's a guy to count on. He's a fun guy to be around, and he doesn't let other people get down."

"He's always upbeat," Millbrook head coach Josh Haymore said. "He's a social butterfly who's always walking with someone different every time you see him in the hallway. I never see him do anything negative or hear anything negative come out of his mouth. On the field, he talks a little bit of junk, but that's every football player.

"And last year, he really opened up as a leader. If we needed him to lead a person to make sure they were doing the right things, we'd tell him, 'This guy needs to be pushed a little harder,' and he'd go push him. Out of the senate, I thought he was one of the better leaders. As positive as Jordan is, people turn to him a lot. He exceeded our expectations. He's a good kid who was raised right."

Jackson is one of Millbrook's best all-around athletes for the entire school, having earned second-team All-Class 4 Northwestern District honors for offense (29 catches, 390 yards, seven TDs last year), defense (three interceptions, 16 tackles) and special teams (two kickoff return TDs) as a junior. In basketball, Jackson averaged 10.9 points, 2.6 assists and 1.5 steals to earn second-team Region 4C and first-team all-district honors. Jackson even played baseball for the first time so he could help the team as a courtesy/pinch-runner.

One of the people who raised Jackson was a pretty special athlete, too. Scott Jackson, a 1988 Handley graduate, was inducted into the school's Hunter Maddex Hall of Fame in 2014. Scott was a second-team all-state linebacker selection as a senior and also a standout fullback. In track, Scott also ran on state championship 4x400-meter relays team in 1985 and 1987. He played college football at Ferrum and was on the 1989 Division III national semifinalist team.

"He's my everything," Jordan said. "He taught me everything I know in basketball and football, and he always teaches and tells me to do the right thing."

As one of the team's leaders (this year's senate has not been determined by the time this story went to press), Jordan has had to be strong for his team over the past year, and now he has to be strong for his father. Scott was diagnosed with stomach cancer in March.

"It hasn't been easy," Jordan said. "He's always told me, 'You've got to focus on you.' If I want to play college football, I have to grind. I'm just trying to make him proud."

Jordan has provided more than enough moments to make Scott smile from ear-to-ear over the years.

In his first year on the varsity, Jackson started at wide receiver. Through six games, Jordan had only four catches for 36 yards and one TD. But he had a 71-yard receiving TD against his father's former Handley team in a 43-0 win, part of a stretch in which he had 16 catches for 275 yards (a 17.2 average) and three TDs over the final five games of the year.

"We needed a deep ball threat, and we got a deep ball threat," said Haymore of Jackson's sophomore year.

Jackson worked on getting stronger, faster and more explosive as a junior, leading to increased offensive production and standout play as well on defense and special teams.

Haymore said Jackson showed his growth as a player in the second game of the season. The Pioneers were without injured star slot player Savon Smith for the first five games of last season, and Haymore asked Jackson to play in the slot for the first time in his career in the second game of the season against Loudoun County. The Raiders won 49-28, but Jackson responded with seven catches for 98 yards and two TDs.

Haymore was also impressed by Jackson's growing field awareness last year. For example, Haymore said there was a situation when an opponent moved a linebacker to safety, and Jackson told him that he should just have all the other receivers run hitch patterns so Jackson could go at the linebacker alone up the middle. Jackson beat the defender for a big gain.

"If a player comes over and says, 'I can beat him,' he's probably going too beat him," Haymore said. 'I don't have too much pride to say, 'I've got the play call.' I'll be like, 'Cool, you got him, next play man.'"

Jackson will be a primary slot player this year, which is a key position for receiving, rushing and blocking. Jackson has prepared himself well, going to camps at Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, James Madison, Davidson. Frostburg State and Shenandoah.

"A lot of [people at those camps] just told me I have to get stronger coming off the ball," Jackson said. "There are so many strong DBs and you can't get pressed. I had to get stronger and get faster."

Haymore's been impressed with the work that Jackson has put in. He likes his improved blocking, and his the physicality he's showing on defense. Haymore believes Jackson — who preferred playing basketball to football until his high school experience — can play offense or defense in college.

College is another year away. For now, Jackson is going to enjoy the present, which includes spending time with his dad. The duo had a particularly special day on July 24, when Scott got to throw out the first pitch at a Washington Nationals game. Jordan said a friend of Scott's is part of a company that works with the Nationals, and they were able to set it up.

"There was a lot of joy," Jackson said. "It was nice to see my dad out there, having fun, throwing out the first pitch."

Jackson also hopes to create a lot of smiles amongst his football teammates this fall by doing what he does best.

"I have to be a leader at my position, and teach guys stuff so we can be more deep all-around and run fast routes," Jackson said. "I just want to do whatever it takes to help the team get better and win games."

— Contact Robert Niedzwiecki at rniedzwiecki@winchesterstar.com

Prayers for the family. Best of wishes to Jordan. Playing with a heavy heart is tough. Will be rooting for this kid.

Reactions: bceagle47
Millbrook aims to avenge last year's loss to Loudoun County

5d58518470f0c.image.jpg

Millbrook’s Jordan Jackson is lifted in the air by offensive lineman Tyler Duckstein after scoring against Turner Ashby last year. The Pioneers’ home game at 7 p.m. tonight against Loudoun County will be the team’s first contest since Jackson’s father passed away on Tuesday.

Jeff Taylor/Winchester Star File Photo

WINCHESTER — At each of their home games the last seven years, the Millbrook football team has honored military members and first responders who died in the line of duty.

Tonight, the Pioneers will pay respect to someone who’s also left a lasting impact on the world.

Millbrook’s home opener at 7 p.m. tonight against Loudoun County — a matchup of two teams that made the Region 4C playoffs last year — will be the Pioneers’ first contest since the death of Scott Jackson. The father of Millbrook senior wide receiver and cornerback Jordan Jackson passed away at the age of 50 on Tuesday after a six-month battle with stomach cancer.

The Pioneers will be thinking of Scott Jackson tonight because they care about Jordan, who will be in action tonight. Scott will also be on their minds because he’s made an impact on the lives of countless young athletes in the area. A 2014 inductee into Handley’s Hunter Maddex Hall of Fame who starred in football and track for the Judges, Jackson was a longtime youth football and basketball coach in Winchester, Frederick County, and Clarke County and was also a coach in the Winchester Rising Stars AAU basketball program.

“The man was a very influential person in the community,” said Millbrook coach Josh Haymore after Wednesday’s practice. “I think about every one of these kids [at Millbrook], plus half the kids at Sherando, Handley and James Wood all played on some sort of team that he coached at some point in their lives.”

Millbrook senior quarterback Kaden Buza said while the circumstances are difficult, the team is prepared to give its all.

“We’ve just got to stay positive,” Buza said. “We know what we’ve got to do. We know [Scott’s] watching over us. This game is for him and this season’s for him. We’ve just got to stay positive and keep our heads up.”

The Pioneers (1-0) might need every bit of its resilience tonight because they’ll definitely be facing a worthy foe.

Some of the faces have changed at Loudoun County (it has five starters back on offense and six on defense), but the Raiders are coming off a season in which they went 9-2 and advanced to the Region 4C semifinals. Loudoun County’s two losses last year were both to eventual Class 4 state champion Woodgrove, and one of its wins was a Week 2 decision over Millbrook in which the Raiders jumped out to a 26-0 lead en route to a 49-28 win.

Led by former Handley coach Tony Rayburn — now in his fourth year with the Raiders — Loudoun County is coming off a 31-0 win last week against Fauquier in which it held the Falcons to one first down. The Raiders struggled on offense without graduated quarterback Nick Barts — a former Dulles District Offensive Player of the Year who threw for 358 yards and four touchdowns against Millbrook last year — but Loudoun County scored two defensive touchdowns in pulling away for a comfortable win.

Trying to stop Barts was the main point of emphasis for Millbrook last year. Attempting to limit Buza will be a primary goal for the Raiders this year. Buza completed 20 of 33 passes for 383 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions in last week’s 62-42 win over Jefferson (W.Va.). The Raiders did not face Buza in last year’s game because he was still working his way back from a preseason injury.

“Buza only made one decision I didn’t like [last week],” Haymore said. “He knows certain keys on certain plays and is not straying away from them. He’s taking what the defense gives him. He understands that is the most important thing. You don’t have to hit that deep ball all the time. You see what they give you and take that.”

Buza said he’s seeing what’s in front of him a lot more clearly than he did last year.

“I’m reading the defenses more efficiently,” Buza said. “I see the field a lot better than I did last year. I worked on that in the offseason with [Coach Haymore]. He helped me out with reading the blitzes, so that helps.”

After gaining more than 500 yards against Jefferson, the Pioneers might just have the pieces to be even stronger on offense than last year. Against Jefferson, Jackson had eight catches for 191 yards and three TDs, T.J. Spain had five catches for 103 yards and one TD and Gavin Evosirch had 13 carries for 107 yards and two TDs. Evosirch also had a receiving and punt return TD.

“We could be probably better [than last year’s offense],” Buza said. “We have a lot of trust around the offense.”

Loudoun County’s defense is built around its four returning starting linebackers in its 3-4 defense. Noah Lokey and Willie Stringfield were All-Dulles District selections. Fellow linebackers Luke McAllister (tight end) and Joseph Groves (wide receiver) were honored by the Dulles District on the offensive of the ball last year. Groves had two fumble recovery touchdowns against Fauquier.

Rayburn said he’s impressed with Buza.

“He’s real accurate,” Rayburn said. “He throws the ball real quick, and he’s got some talented receivers. That’s as good of a passing team as I’ve seen in quite a while.

“We can’t give them the same look all the time. I think we’re pretty quick on defense, and we’ve got to take advantage of that. The key probably is we’ve got to tackle them in the open field. You give them too many big plays, you’re out of the game real quick.”

Haymore said the Raiders’ defense presents a challenge.

“They’re physical, they’re fast, they blitz a lot,” Haymore said. “They play an attacking defense with a coverage you can’t get deep balls on. You’ve got to make guys miss to get big gains.”

Rayburn said Loudoun County ran the ball decently last week, but struggled throwing the ball. Gavin Pitts, a transfer from Woodgrove, led the Raiders with 11 carries for 45 yards and a TD. But he only completed 4 of 13 passes for 117 yards, and he had two interceptions.

“Offensively, we all need to improve a little bit, from the quarterback to the offensive line,” said Rayburn, who added the offensive line is dealing with some injuries. “Our running backs have to pass block a little bit better, and the receivers have to do some things better. We all just need to improve a little bit. We were close in a lot of areas, but we have to be a little better.”

While Millbrook gave up 42 points last week, only 14 came in the second half. One of those touchdowns was on a kickoff return and the second was against Millbrook’s second-string defense, so Haymore was pleased with the team’s improvement. The Pioneers are dealing with a new crop of starting linebackers this year, so a learning curve was to be expected.

“We were thinking too much as a linebacker corps,” Haymore said. “In the second half, we straightened some things out, and we played our type of football.

“We’re trying to get the mentality where we want it to be for the linebackers. Being new guys, now you’re in the spotlight, making the plays. It’s different than watching. [Former star linebacker] Brandon Shingleton went through the same thing. As he progressed and got better, all the little mistakes that the guys how are making, they went away. I expect as the season goes on, they’ll get better.”

Haymore said Millbrook will have to contend with a couple of quick athletes in running back Josh Pettiford and wide receiver/running back Tariq Sims.

Jackson said the Pioneers can’t afford to have another slow start against the Raiders this year.

“We have to execute better, and come out with more intensity on the defensive side,” Jackson said.

Jackson will certainly be ready to give everything he has tonight. Loudoun County High School is also special to the Jackson family because Scott served as the Raiders’ defensive coordinator a decade ago.

“[My father] is obviously going to be on my mind,” Jackson said. “I’m playing for him this week.”

— Contact Robert Niedzwiecki at rniedzwiecki@winchesterstar.com

Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT