ADVERTISEMENT

Rivalries

Man, that's a tough question for me. As far as District play goes, you can pick any team. We want to beat them all, and they want to beat us. Badly!!! Thomas Dale, Petersburg, Matoaca, Meadowbrook, Hopewell, Prince George, and Colonial Heights. All, long term matchups, and all tremendous rivalries.

Our OOD schedule is all new this year, but you know that the last two years against Salem was pretty special.

As far as playoffs go, it's about the same. Everyone we have ever played is now a rival. Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor have a bit of a history. After getting the boot from EV last season, I would think any rematch will be special. Hanover has been a bitter rival over the years.

But, my personal favorite is Phoebus. Man, do we owe those guys a whooping. It may never happen now that they are Class 3, but if the chance ever arises...!!!
Looks like you will get that chance next season 😉

Reactions: BleedingNavy
You are right @SFUWO. The thought of locking horns with the powers of Region B then getting rewarded by having to face Phoebus is getting me riled up. Think our young men better finish up things this season before we start anticipating next year. King George, PH-Ashland, Varina, Hanover, EV, and Powhatan should be really good again next season. Hopefully, Monacan will be back in the mix. Warwick's roster looked young too and they have some athletes, so Phoebus can't sleep on the Raiders.

Enough of that mess we need to focus on and finish step 15. Go Generals!

I'd say it changes for Sherando. At present, probably Millbrook or Martinsburg. Sherando leads the Millbrook series 14-3, but the games have been close as of late. Martinsburg leads the series over Sherando 10-4, but like with Millbrook many of the games have been very close.

Up until around 2010 I would have said Handley. Liberty has also been a close series overall, with Sherando having the edge 14-10, but I think Kettle Run is a bigger rival for them.

I guess there's no one I'd like to beat more than Martinsburg, but Millbrook is typically the more important game and their fans have been particularly uppity as of late (not necessarily a bad thing in this context), so it's tough to say.
Well we don’t have to worry about Martinsburg anymore, no longer on the schedule.

wonder who they are playing in your place. They lose Salem and pick up Stonebridge
Not sure yet , but sherando is required to play all district teams now in the new Northwestern , Skyline begged and asked not to play Sherando, and it was granted by administration and we replaced that game with the on going Jefferson. All other games are Northwestern only . Martinsburg always struggles to fill a schedule, West Virginia teams avoid them during the regular season.

Reactions: SFUWO
I've read a few stories about some of the schools in SWVA. I'll say back in the old days, but what I mean by that was when EVERY small locality had a high school and a football team. Teams like Hasyi, Narrows, Council, Independence, and a hundred more, lived and died by Friday night football. Oh, if those old fields could only talk, we would be entertained for the next 10 years.
wow you all are really really old!

wow you all are really really old!
On the Eastern Shore, if you drive up the shore on the original north-south main highway, about every 10 miles is an old school that was that localities 1-12 grade school. They didn’t play much football back then because of enrollment, but baseball and basketball were hotly contested. Again, if those walls and ball fields could talk, my oh my at the stories they could tell.

Reactions: SFUWO
For Kettle Run:

1- Liberty. By far the evil and hated rival. They are In County rival with history of upsets back and forth between these two schools. It’s just how a rivalry should be. Even this year Liberty played us tough.

2- Sherando- this has been building since 2017…at least From the KR sidelines. The Warriors are the team for us to compete with every year. They are always circled on the schedule for us to go and watch the boys play.

3. Fauquier- The 3rd High school in Fauquier county. The Falcons have not been competitive but still show a level of rivalry against the Cougars. It’s just a good game for the entire county.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT