ADVERTISEMENT

River Ridge District

may22

VaPreps Rookie
Mar 2, 2005
After seeing all the RRD teams play, HV is clearly the most talented and should have no trouble in the District. IMHO the District is not as strong, overall as in the past. A lot of talented players graduated.
HV-Bburg-CS-Cburg-Salem-Pulaski.

I agree that the district overall is down compared to the last couple years and I agree that HV is the favorite to win the district. But I wouldn't annoint HV as champs just yet. Their non-district schedule was extremely easy and the first tough match they had all season was against BB last week which HV barely won 3-1 (2 games decided by only 2 points). I'm just saying that it will be interesting to see how HV reacts when they play good teams like BB and CS. Cave Spring continues to improve and has quietly won 8 matches in a row while playing a very tough schedule. I'd say HV is the likely winner of the RRD but BB and CS are right on their heels. After that it's a drop-off to Salem and CB and the a big drop-off to Pulaski. Salem will continue to get better and could pull an upset later this year. Their coach is finally instilling some team discipline so the players respect their teammates, oppoennets, and officials. I wouldn't be surprised if that resulted in more success later ths season. Good luck to all the RRD teams.

I was very impressed with Blacksburg vs Hidden Valley. HV played very well and BB stayed right with them most of the match. I still believe HV will win the RRD and will advance to the state tournament. I am not sure how the other districts are shaping up as Loudon lost a ton of tallent from last years team. I still feel HV should win the state this season.

I would like to give praise to Salem's new coach for her stance she has taken with the team about attitude and sportsmanship. I know in time Kim will have the program at Salem back fighting for RRD titles.

Re: River Ridge District (10/6 matches)

Interesting night last night in the RRD. CS beat BB pretty easily despite the great home crowd in Blacksburg and CB won a thriller over Salem (16-14 in 5th game). Things are starting to shape up in the RRD.

As an aside, Loudoun County may be even better than they were last year (minimal losses to graduation and a big transfer) and is the clear favorite to win states for a 3rd straight year if they stay healthy.

State Favorite

I respectfully disagree on Loudon Co being a clear favorite. HV gave Loudon all they wanted in the State finals last season. HV is very much improved from last season with one of their best hitters being back from injury, and more experience on the team. The only downer for this season will be HV and Loudon can't face each other in the finals again. It would have to be a semifinal matchup. Who ever would win that game will cruise in the finals for sure.

Re: State Favorite

You are entitled to your opinions. In my opinion (having seen both teams play) LC is better than last year and HV is not, having lost their best passers and setter. HV could return to Richmond but it will be a much tougher road then you seem to think it will be. And just as an FYI, HV and LC could meet in the state semis or state finals (if both teams got that far). It would all depend on how they finished in their own region.

10/10 Loudon vs Cave Spring

I will go see Loudon play at Cave Spring this weekend. That should be a good match. I know Loudon beat them at home fairly easily and it will be interesting to see how it plays out this weekend. This will go a long way in seeing how improved CS is and how good Loudon is as well.

Re: 10/10 Loudon vs Cave Spring

FYI, CS doesn't play LC again this season. They played last weekend and LC won in 3. The first 2 games were very close (25-20, 25-21) and the 3rd game was not (25-12).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT