ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads 4, Rappohannock 2 FINAL

Also, Congrats to Wilson Memorial

The Hornets beat King William 1-0 in 9 innings. Wilson scored in the top of the 9th on a two-out throwing error on a third strike. Two teams from the Shenandoah District are 2 wins away from State Championships!!

Re: Also, Congrats to Wilson Memorial

The story of this game was that Riverheads attacked aggressively all night and quite honestly should have scored a lot more than they did. They stranded a TON of base runners, including leaving the sacks loaded at least once and I think twice. Also Rappahannock nailed three Gladiators out at the plate, including two consecutive plays in which RHS had bases loaded and hit a soft grounder to third. So if you add up all those missed opportunities, it was a game that the Big Red should have put away early, especially since it took the Raiders into the sixth inning before they staged any kind of meaningful rally.

On defense Kyle Bishop pitched 5 + for RHS and after allowing a lead-off double, he settled down nicely and controlled the Raiders. Zach Clymore came on in the sixth in relief and although there were some nervous moments down the stretch, he was able to protect the win. The Gladiators turned two double plays on the night and if they had an error I don't remember it. There was a brief scare for RHS fans midway through the game when first baseman Cody Swisher, who is not a small man by any stretch, was bowled over by Rapp's humongous first baseman who was trying to beat out a hit. I would estimate that guy goes about 6'6" and 280, so it wasn't a fair fight, but as near as we could tell Cody didn't suffer any ill effects from the collision.

Speaking of Swisher, another interesting fact about this game was that he and Kyle Wilson, who are usually our two most dependable hitters, were not the big impact players tonight. In fact Swisher was HBP twice and walked at least one or two other times, so I don't think he had a hit all night. Wilson was awesome in the field but just not his usual factor at the plate, but to their credit the other Gladiators picked up the slack as Bishop and Clymore each had quality hits, as did Logan Wolfe, Ethan Whitehead, and Zach Roberts.

So the Gladiator road show continued as that was our fourth road trip in eight days, and considering that the only blemish was the tight 2-1 loss to William Campbell, the Big Red has to be feeling pretty good. Next up is a 1:00 Friday date with Clintwood, which to my knowledge will be the first time the Gladiators have faced the Green Wave in any sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT