ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads at George Wythe

OCboy you realize I'm speaking as a fan of my high school. This is an opinionated board. This game has the feelings and the makings to be a state championship game. Show me where at any point in time I downed Essex for any wrong reason. Keep in mind though the last time GW played a team from that area (Franklin 2012) everybody talked about GW not coming within 40 points of the Broncos and GW controlled that entire game. If you want my honest opinion Galax will beat Essex this Saturday and Essex will be very surprised when they do. You should read some more of the posts on here before you show up out of nowheres and start posting.
Didn't say u did you should pull for your team I just said don't forget about essex

Someone else gave me a list of scores and on that list the RR score was 31-24 in overtime. Go figure!

So it was 29-28 in regulation time, right?

Someone else gave me a list of scores and on that list the RR score was 31-24 in overtime. Go figure!

So it was 29-28 in regulation time, right?

Yep that is correct. If I remember correctly, GW had a pretty big lead on the Indians. But a GW fan will have to confirm that.

I am excited and ready for this game, I'm a man of few words. I don't post or comment a lot but I'd like to say for everyone travelling. Be safe, Enjoy the game, God bless and I am also willing to meet at GW. I'm always on the hill. See you all Saturday.

Thanks Blaster for taking time to coach kids in sandlot ball. That says a lot about you as a person who cares about our youth, and now look today were the young man is! Just Great, My Friend!
Lee is a good guy we have watched a few games together this year and football is a passion for me I love teaching the kids and helping the enjoy the sport.

Yep that is correct. If I remember correctly, GW had a pretty big lead on the Indians. But a GW fan will have to confirm that.
Yeah we got up 21 and after that ran it straight up the gut for the rest of the half and RR made a comeback in the second half.

I am excited and ready for this game, I'm a man of few words. I don't post or comment a lot but I'd like to say for everyone travelling. Be safe, Enjoy the game, God bless and I am also willing to meet at GW. I'm always on the hill. See you all Saturday.
GDUB2010 and I are always together at the games find one and you find the other lol

"This game should be the state championship game." GDUBALUM09 stated speaking of Riverheads v GW.

No problems if you are excited for your school and if that is your opinion that is fine, but I read that statement the same way OCBoy did. You did not "down" Essex but sort of dismissed them (which, again, is fine if that is your opinion.)

When someone states that a State Semi or even Quarterfinal game should be the State Championship, that is certainly okay if the two best teams (obviously the best) are matched up.

However considering Essex remains, that is a highly skeptical statement to make. Now if Galax defeats Essex (or Essex loses big in title game) and the GW v Riverheads winner easily wins the State Championship, then you may be correct in your assessment.

Having said that, both Riverheads and GW are proud football programs with like 5 state titles between them or so. Should be a slobber knocker indeed! Good luck to both!

Reactions: OCBoy
where is the best place to park, do they have a lot of parking, cause with these two teams and there fan base it should be packed, should be a espn classic type game, GO BIG RED

We have a lot of parking in the home side it surrounds the whole school but it fills up quick and a mid size field on the away side but it fills up quick also. To fully answer your question park on the home side you will have to get there a bit early but it will be worth it many more exits to get out after the game. And if the fan turn out holds to expectations that will be needed the away side is a bottle neck it is one way in and one way out it will be a little more walking to get to the away side but again worth it. Plus the field sets right beside the school so its not a bad walk no matter where you park. Have a safe trip

Reactions: Bama1985
Yes folks, have a very safe trip. I will tell you a few other tips that may save you guys some time and money. Be sure to drive the speed limit! Yes, speed is checked all the time in Wythe and Smyth counties. Yes the word you can spell backwards and still get a ticket, RADAR. You WILL get a ticket if you speed! And please wear warm clothing, dress in layers. The wind seems to blow a bit more in Wytheville. No kidding on this guys, espically dress for cooler winds for your kids. Drive safe, My Friends!

Riverheads vs George Wythe:

Yes, this has shaped up to be a classic football game in the Commonwealth. Two schools with a lot of success in football, many State Championships. WOW. I really don't know how a anyone could pick a out right favorite in this one. Both teams will be out to prove that they ARE the better team. So, we can ask, What lies ahead for us fans of this game on Saturday?

Up here they are calling for Saturday to be sunny and in the 50s, which would be about the best we could hope for in December. I hope that turns out to be right and that it is not much different down there.

Right now it is supposed to be about 50 and sunny but the wind can get rough in the horse shoe.
I have to go to wytheville a lot for work and it seems like the wind is always blowing over there so the visitors might want to dress for it.

Yes, that wind sure does blow in Wytheville and Rural Retreat. Speaking of the two towns just a few miles apart, Rural Retreat is known for its connection with the original recipe for the soft drink, Dr. Pepper. And I think Blaster has already mentioned to you not to forget to stop by Skeeter's on Main St, home of their World Famous Hot Dog. and you will know you have arrived in Wytheville when you look up and see that beautiful colorful hot air balloon water tank located on your left on I-81. Have a safe drive, My Friends!

It's going to be a fun one that's for sure. I think if GW's skill players show up (and I don't know why they wouldn't) they got this. Not easily, but they got it. I'm gonna go a bit lower than most and say 24-21 GW.

playoff preview, 2 great football programs, both teams with a 12 games winning streak, both teams have great fans and seem like they are down to earth, better get to town early to get a pizza or hot dog and a good parking spot, dress warm cause the wind blows all the time, don't go fast or u will get a ticket, game should be a espn classic and a slobber knocker, if u want to meet and greet people on preps come to the little deck where the flag is, both teams run a lot, so we will see who can stop the run, so if u want to be at a great football game come on out Saturday, and may the best team win, GO BIG RED

Does GW have heated box seats like Riverheads ?
They do for the announcer and a few coaches but not for fans the seating is concrete stadium style seating the home side is a little bigger but the away side is enough. And most stand to the sides of the seating anyway lol

Last edited:
They do for the announcer and a few coaches but not for fans the seating is concrete stadium style seating the home side is a little bigger but the away side is enough. And most stand to the sides of the anyway lol
I was afraid of that ! I like heated / ac boxed seats with catered food . I guess I can stand it for a couple hours .We must be going back in time ! I hope they do have electricity and running water ! lol

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
I was afraid of that ! I like heated / ac boxed seats with catered food . I guess I can stand it for a couple hours .We must be going back in time ! I hope they do have electricity and running water ! lol

We here in SWVA have never heard this one. Original.

Should be a fun weekend ! Best of luck to all still playing !

Absolutely not for all, Just for the home folks, who have paid their taxes. Them there visitors from out of town must go over that there hill and do their business behind the Ole oak stump.... and bring your own paper. Now for the ladies, we will have more suitable accommodations. We will have a one seater brought in from Cripple Creek.
, complete with a half moon winder. No brown jugs are aloud. Now, if you happen up on some road kill, please build your far, back from them there people setting on then there cement stands. You now have a good day, My Friends

Absolutely not for all, Just for the home folks, who have paid their taxes. Them there visitors from out of town must go over that there hill and do their business behind the Ole oak stump.... and bring your own paper. Now for the ladies, we will have more suitable accommodations. We will have a one seater brought in from Cripple Creek.
, complete with a half moon winder. No brown jugs are aloud. Now, if you happen up on some road kill, please build your far, back from them there people setting on then there cement stands. You now have a good day, My Friends
Sounds like home to me ! Don't got no paper , just a coal bucket full of corn cobs . Just hope the win is in the direction ! lol

I am thinking its a race to 21, I do not see a high scoring game. But as I stated in the Gap/Appo thread, I have been wrong before and will be again.

Xcross, My Friend it is good that we can have a little fun with conversation, while at same time have a good time supporting our teams. Even though my team had a horrible year, I have adopted GW as my team for the playoffs. Your team, Riverheads High, I have the upmost respect for, and certainly wish them the best of luck Saturday. May the game be played with both teams supporting an excellent attitude of good sportmanship, and representing the very best of both communities. May God watch over our young men as they go into battle, and when the game is over, may the winner not be defined by the score, but by his character of how he accepted the final outcome. Peace, My Friend!

Xcross, My Friend it is good that we can have a little fun with conversation, while at same time have a good time supporting our teams. Even though my team had a horrible year, I have adopted GW as my team for the playoffs. Your team, Riverheads High, I have the upmost respect for, and certainly wish them the best of luck Saturday. May the game be played with both teams supporting an excellent attitude of good sportmanship, and representing the very best of both communities. May God watch over our young men as they go into battle, and when the game is over, may the winner not be defined by the score, but by his character of how he accepted the final outcome. Peace, My Friend!
Very well said . It is the character of the Gladiators that has made me a fan , follower of the football program ! I give credit to the coaches , teachers, all those who watch over these young men as they mature and become winners on and off the field . Regardless of the final score I feel confident these young men will represent Riverheads in a good way . Looking forward to a great ballgame . Safe travels to all . GO BIG RED !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Chilwar25
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT