ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads Jamboree Review

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Although this was a six-hour affair, I only got there for the second half of it, so I will report on what I saw.

James River was leading Fort Defiance 11-8 with about 10 minutes left to go. They scored another TD to win the scrimmage 17-8 and threatened to score once again. So almost the entire portion that I saw was played at the Fort end of the field.

While waiting for the main event (Riverheads vs. Appomattox), I circulated a little bit and was told that Appo had beaten Central Woodstock in their scrimmage, but I heard different opinions on how the Raiders looked. One person said he was not impressed, while another one said he was, but that is football for you I guess.

That would seem to leave a scrimmage between Central and James River but I heard or saw nothing about that one. You would think Central could take the Knights but who knows?

So right on schedule at 2:45, the home team took the field against the defending 2-A state champs. RHS chewed up the first seven minutes of the clock entirely on the ground before being stopped around the Appo 30 by a holding penalty. The Raiders then moved the ball quickly down the field on a nice pass over the middle and a long run, but on their third play, they coughed it up around the RHS 20.

The first quarter ended shortly thereafter in a scoreless deadlock. Midway through the second quarter, Appo caught the first break of the game as a Riverheads runner fumbled deep in his own territory and the Raiders picked it up and ran it in for the score. The PAT made it 7-0.

However, Riverheads drove the field 70 yards on the ensuing possession (each new possession starts on the 30 in scrimmages) for the equalizer. Again they did all their damage on the ground with Harrison Schaefer scoring the TD. Rinaldo Martina tied the score at 7-7 for the Big Red.

Neither team scored again in regulation and they ended the scrimmage with each one getting 12 untimed downs instead of the customary 10. Again with each team starting from its own 30, this pretty much ended in a dead heat, as each one made it to just outside the other's red zone before running out of downs. Therefore the final score was a 7-7 tie.

So I would be hard-pressed to name a winner in this one. You could argue that a sustained drive shows a coach more than a fumble return and if the Gladiator D kept as potent an offense as Appomattox out of the end zone, then the RHS staff had to be pleased with that. But of course that is the Riverheads perspective on the situation.

To be objective, Appo showed more big-play capability than RHS, but they shot themselves in the foot a few times with penalties or turnovers. They could never string together two or three big plays in a row to get into any kind of rhythm.

The day wrapped up with a two-quarter scrimmage between Riverheads and Fort Defiance. They then elected not to play any untimed downs. In that one, Fort moved the ball effectively on their first drive only before the Big Red stopped them on downs. The rest of that scrimmage belonged to the home team as Schaefer scored a pair of TDs, along with one each from Cameron "Moose" Lee and Devin Morris to give RHS a 28-0 win.

Riverheads as expected showed every weapon it had, as I assume the other teams did as well. The Gladiators used at least four quarterbacks and probably a dozen or more running backs. They never had anyone really break away for the big one as the fans like to see, but that will come in time I am sure. And in typical Riverheads fashion, there were very few balls put in the air today, and to my recollection, not more than one connected, if any of them did.

The bright spots on the RHS offense would have to be senior Brett Hostetler, who was primarily a defensive force last year, but had some nice runs today, as did the aforementioned Mr. Lee, who is ironically a transfer from Fort Defiance. He is only a sophomore and is a bruising fullback who seemed to enjoy running roughshod over his former teammates.

Best wishes go out to a couple of injured players.....Appo's number 12, Jaylen Holland, was actually taken out by the rescue squad with what appeared to be an ankle injury, and then late in the Fort scrimmage, Riverheads' number 43, Clay Falls, hurt his knee and had to leave the game.

The Gladiators swing into "real action" next Friday night against new rival R E Lee. The Big Red pounded the Leemen in Staunton last year 45-9 in their first-ever meeting, but new Lee Coach Scott Girolmo turned them around by season's end and took them to the playoffs, so next week's game may be anything BUT a runaway.

Reactions: shauntclair
Although this was a six-hour affair, I only got there for the second half of it, so I will report on what I saw.

James River was leading Fort Defiance 11-8 with about 10 minutes left to go. They scored another TD to win the scrimmage 17-8 and threatened to score once again. So almost the entire portion that I saw was played at the Fort end of the field.

While waiting for the main event (Riverheads vs. Appomattox), I circulated a little bit and was told that Appo had beaten Central Woodstock in their scrimmage, but I heard different opinions on how the Raiders looked. One person said he was not impressed, while another one said he was, but that is football for you I guess.

That would seem to leave a scrimmage between Central and James River but I heard or saw nothing about that one. You would think Central could take the Knights but who knows?

So right on schedule at 2:45, the home team took the field against the defending 2-A state champs. RHS chewed up the first seven minutes of the clock entirely on the ground before being stopped around the Appo 30 by a holding penalty. The Raiders then moved the ball quickly down the field on a nice pass over the middle and a long run, but on their third play, they coughed it up around the RHS 20.

The first quarter ended shortly thereafter in a scoreless deadlock. Midway through the second quarter, Appo caught the first break of the game as a Riverheads runner fumbled deep in his own territory and the Raiders picked it up and ran it in for the score. The PAT made it 7-0.

However, Riverheads drove the field 70 yards on the ensuing possession (each new possession starts on the 30 in scrimmages) for the equalizer. Again they did all their damage on the ground with Harrison Schaefer scoring the TD. Rinaldo Martina tied the score at 7-7 for the Big Red.

Neither team scored again in regulation and they ended the scrimmage with each one getting 12 untimed downs instead of the customary 10. Again with each team starting from its own 30, this pretty much ended in a dead heat, as each one made it to just outside the other's red zone before running out of downs. Therefore the final score was a 7-7 tie.

So I would be hard-pressed to name a winner in this one. You could argue that a sustained drive shows a coach more than a fumble return and if the Gladiator D kept as potent an offense as Appomattox out of the end zone, then the RHS staff had to be pleased with that. But of course that is the Riverheads perspective on the situation.

To be objective, Appo showed more big-play capability than RHS, but they shot themselves in the foot a few times with penalties or turnovers. They could never string together two or three big plays in a row to get into any kind of rhythm.

The day wrapped up with a two-quarter scrimmage between Riverheads and Fort Defiance. They then elected not to play any untimed downs. In that one, Fort moved the ball effectively on their first drive only before the Big Red stopped them on downs. The rest of that scrimmage belonged to the home team as Schaefer scored a pair of TDs, along with one each from Cameron "Moose" Lee and Devin Morris to give RHS a 28-0 win.

Riverheads as expected showed every weapon it had, as I assume the other teams did as well. The Gladiators used at least four quarterbacks and probably a dozen or more running backs. They never had anyone really break away for the big one as the fans like to see, but that will come in time I am sure. And in typical Riverheads fashion, there were very few balls put in the air today, and to my recollection, not more than one connected, if any of them did.

The bright spots on the RHS offense would have to be senior Brett Hostetler, who was primarily a defensive force last year, but had some nice runs today, as did the aforementioned Mr. Lee, who is ironically a transfer from Fort Defiance. He is only a sophomore and is a bruising fullback who seemed to enjoy running roughshod over his former teammates.

Best wishes go out to a couple of injured players.....Appo's number 12, Jaylen Holland, was actually taken out by the rescue squad with what appeared to be an ankle injury, and then late in the Fort scrimmage, Riverheads' number 43, Clay Falls, hurt his knee and had to leave the game.

The Gladiators swing into "real action" next Friday night against new rival R E Lee. The Big Red pounded the Leemen in Staunton last year 45-9 in their first-ever meeting, but new Lee Coach Scott Girolmo turned them around by season's end and took them to the playoffs, so next week's game may be anything BUT a runaway.

I didnt go this year, i had to work today. I said in previous thread. this is our 4th year in this jamboree. Appomatox usually dont have a problem with any team up there other than Riverheads. Main reason Riverheads gives us issues is because we prepare 2 weeks to face Buckingham and we are not preparing to stop the single wing. Last year they beat us by a TD. years prior Riverheads worked us bad. Hey at least we tied them this year, lol. that is progress. Next year will be year to beat them, lol. What surprises me the most in this article is that we couldnt get into a offensive rhythm. You mention TOs too? SMH. We gotta protect ball and that is something we did well last year. Matt Page only threw 2 INTs and we probably didnt fumble but 5-8x all year. Many were when we let reserves play. CANT WAIT FOR FRIDAY! BATTLE OF THE AXE!!! Bucktown vs. Appo

Just watched the video of the game from a friend that had it. The only reason Riverheads scored is because it was late in the game and we had our reserve players in at that time. They couldnt move the ball on our 1st string D. I say we moved the ball well, but the TOs killed us a lot. It was a wet game as well, didnt know it rained so much up there yesterday. I know our QB going have to get more reps in practice, his passes were not crisp like I have seen in the past. He is a winner and its good to see him on defense as well. That guy is an ALL STAR at safety. What was surprising is seeing NC State commit WR/CB Graves take a few snaps at QB. I didnt expect that. Cant wait to see what is in store this season.

Should Riverheads play on Friday or just forfeit ! lol !!!!!

Wouldn't that have been your first string D in the game on RHS' first possession when they moved the ball down into Appo territory before stopping themselves on the holding penalty?

Reactions: gladiators01
I didnt go this year, i had to work today. I said in previous thread. this is our 4th year in this jamboree. Appomatox usually dont have a problem with any team up there other than Riverheads. Main reason Riverheads gives us issues is because we prepare 2 weeks to face Buckingham and we are not preparing to stop the single wing. Last year they beat us by a TD. years prior Riverheads worked us bad. Hey at least we tied them this year, lol. that is progress. Next year will be year to beat them, lol. What surprises me the most in this article is that we couldnt get into a offensive rhythm. You mention TOs too? SMH. We gotta protect ball and that is something we did well last year. Matt Page only threw 2 INTs and we probably didnt fumble but 5-8x all year. Many were when we let reserves play. CANT WAIT FOR FRIDAY! BATTLE OF THE AXE!!! Bucktown vs. Appo

Also Riverheads runs Wing T, unless they have changed...which I highly doubt. Good Luck Week 1

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Wouldn't that have been your first string D in the game on RHS' first possession when they moved the ball down into Appo territory before stopping themselves on the holding penalty?
yes, thats true because its takes about 1 drive for the opposing team to figure the single wing/wing T out. u have to get ya mind right to figure it out. well what happened rest of the game??? until reserves went in? Nothing other than the drive u mentioned.

yes, thats true because its takes about 1 drive for the opposing team to figure the single wing/wing T out. u have to get ya mind right to figure it out. well what happened rest of the game??? until reserves went in? Nothing other than the drive u mentioned.
Sounds like not much else happened for either team the rest of the way.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
You got that right! A bunch of TOs and shooting their selves in the foot after some big plays.

I am certainly no Riverheads fan, but when reading this it makes it sound like Riverheads sucks compared to Appomattox, and there is no reason for all that. It was a scrimmage and doesn't count for anything. It doesn't matter what players are in for who and why. Coaches use these things as another practice, not to stick out their chest and say yea we beat those guys.

Reactions: shauntclair
I am certainly no Riverheads fan, but when reading this it makes it sound like Riverheads sucks compared to Appomattox, and there is no reason for all that. It was a scrimmage and doesn't count for anything. It doesn't matter what players are in for who and why. Coaches use these things as another practice, not to stick out their chest and say yea we beat those guys.
u musta missed when i wrote Riverheads smashed us 1st 2 years going up there huh?

You must have missed it when i said coming out of there with a tie is a good thing because we have never come that close to beating them in 4 years. smh

Not relevant to this scrimmage or situation necessarily, but it always kills me each year when people take way too much from a scrimmage... "We beat such and such by X many points in the scrimmage, but they had an easier road to the playoffs so thats why they made it further; we were better than them-- just look at the scrimmage." As you said Scrimmages are a glorified practice, and they are not a tell all about a team by any means.

u musta missed when i wrote Riverheads smashed us 1st 2 years going up there huh?

You must have missed it when i said coming out of there with a tie is a good thing because we have never come that close to beating them in 4 years. smh

No, I read all that, and you are missing the entire point. What happens in a scrimmage doesnt matter, "win or lose." You said you got "beat" last year, that didnt seem to effect your team. I was there for state championship and I was pulling for you guys as I have family in Appomattox, and was probably the most impressive 2A team I have seen, atleast in a long time and were much better than Riverheads I had seen, so exactly how did the scrimmage last year prove anything since they "beat" you? That is the entire point that it doesn't mean anything and not a precursor to what will happen in the season.

But just look at how you talked about the scrimmage, you said you werent there but watched film, which is fine. You go on to say that Riverheads did nothing against your starters, they didn't move the ball etc. But someone replied about the first drive, then you said "yes, thats true because its takes about 1 drive for the opposing team to figure the single wing/wing T out. u have to get ya mind right to figure it out. well what happened rest of the game??? until reserves went in? Nothing other than the drive u mentioned." Then someone says it didnt seem like much happened either way, but your team shot themselves in the foot. So it wasn't anything that Riverheads did? That is a little disrespectful in my opinion. It is great to have so much love for your team, and I enjoy reading your posts because of it, but that seemed a little too much.

The last thing I will say is saying it takes 1 series to figure out a Wing T or Single wing is way wrong. There are a bunch of teams each year that have problems with that, as evident by the number of Championships by teams all over the nation that runs these types of offenses.

Moral of the story: Watch how you word your posts about a scrimmage on VaPreps or the message board police are going to call you out.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT