ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads News

dringtuoti

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 21, 2010
I don't want to spread rumors but I heard big news should be coming out of Riverheads soon. Anyone with info

Thad Wheeler of Warhill coming to Greenville. 28-25 overall record, 15-8 over last two seasons. Welcome aboard coach.

#RollPride

He's a W&M grad and was on their national semifinal team in 04. He also coached there and also at Louisiana Tech. His dad is former Lafayette coach Paul Wheeler. Thad is a big weight room guy and is also a personal trainer.

He's a W&M grad and was on their national semifinal team in 04. He also coached there and also at Louisiana Tech. His dad is former Lafayette coach Paul Wheeler. Thad is a big weight room guy and is also a personal trainer.
Great, great, hire. No nonsense, demands attention to detail and believes in the weightroom and fundamentals. Very reminiscent of Casto in my opinion.

Just curious why a 4A coach would come to 1A? I would’ve thought that he would be looking to go up to 5 or 6A. Is it more about lifestyle location or what?

@longtimerhsfan you are correct in that it has not been confirmed by the RHS AD. Story was relayed on Twitter by local reporter and my excitement should not have overruled my judgment for posting unconfirmed reports. I suppose it wouldn’t be the first time they could be wrong.

Greeneville/Staunton nice area to raise family....community strong supporters of athletics and obviously footbalI. Add opportunity to compete for state championships immediately I would assume were driving force for 4A to 1A move.
If report is true I believe excellent hire and good job by admin who were in difficult situation replacing someone of Casto's status and quality.

What will be the expectation placed on this coach ? Does the system remain the same ? Did Casto have input on the hire? Will this coach attempt to step out of the shadow of a legend ? Interesting stuff get your popcorn ready!

What will be the expectation placed on this coach ? Does the system remain the same ? Did Casto have input on the hire? Will this coach attempt to step out of the shadow of a legend ? Interesting stuff get your popcorn ready!
Response to your questions in order.
Expected to get enrollment numbers over 474.5. Couldn’t resist.
Wing t
No
Of course
With butter please
Just having fun with it.
Only a rumor so far nothing official.

Personally my expectations are that whoever comes in runs a program that focus on the character of these young men. The community will support whomever is chosen to lead the football team.

As to other expectations, well I will say that I won’t speculate on the success in wins and losses but the cupboard isn’t bare.

As for the system, how much would you change it? I am sure he had some ideas of his own and honestly it will be great to see. From the earlier post he sounds very much in the mode of a throwback type, responsibility and accountability type coach. That will play well with the community and athletes he has in the pipeline.

My reference to the aforementioned coach is speculative since other than one reporter, I do not know of any confirmation to this point.

It will be a transition regardless so popcorn is in order for sure.

Reactions: trutiger16
I'm not sure what offense he ran at Warhill, but his dad won 3 state championships running the wing t, so he is definitely familiar with the offense and I'd expect he'd run it at Riverheads or at least something very similar.

Reactions: trutiger16
You guys will surely dominate this board in the fall ! Its going to be fun.

Just curious why a 4A coach would come to 1A? I would’ve thought that he would be looking to go up to 5 or 6A. Is it more about lifestyle location or what?
I can think of several reasons. Getting to work for(or getting away from) a supportive administration and booster club, getting to work in a community that embraces football, traditionally successful program, many people would rather work in a smaller school, blue collar kids as opposed to country club kids.

There are some 6A schools that get their tails whipped year after year. I can't understand why anyone would want some of those jobs. Typically the coaching stipend isn't any better. Sometimes the teaching pay is better in NOVA, but that is offset by the cost of living. As we've all learned over the years, the grass isn't greener. But if it is, it might because of a lot of crap over there! Just my two cents.

I can think of several reasons. Getting to work for(or getting away from) a supportive administration and booster club, getting to work in a community that embraces football, traditionally successful program, many people would rather work in a smaller school, blue collar kids as opposed to country club kids.

There are some 6A schools that get their tails whipped year after year. I can't understand why anyone would want some of those jobs. Typically the coaching stipend isn't any better. Sometimes the teaching pay is better in NOVA, but that is offset by the cost of living. As we've all learned over the years, the grass isn't greener. But if it is, it might because of a lot of crap over there! Just my two cents.

Well said.

About 8 years ago or so I was speaking with an AD of a 4A or 5A school in a well off area. Awesome facilities etc. The coaching pay was very similar to Group A schools as you mentioned.

The AD said I’m going to honest with you “many of these kids are soft, Mama’s boys. A lot of these rich kids go home and cry to their parents at the drop of a hat. They ain’t tough like many of the kids y’all got in the Northern Neck area.”

I am sure that many in the Riverheads area are tough too. Plus, in Riverheads you have an insane love of football with the support and high expectations of success.

It is always nice when a community supports it's local team. Of course, that is easier to do when the team is always winning. It will be interesting to watch Riverheads this year with a new leader.

Pressure cooker situation in Riverheads man for sure. I wish the new coach well but no so fast on the community stuff , if this staff goes anything below 8 wins which i seriously doubt happens the grumbling will start. Casto has left this coach a brand new Lamborghini of sorts sorry let me rephrase a well broken in tough ass hard nose John Deere tractor this year to plow the fields of the gridiron. Helluva situation to step in , those players of Riverheads quite sure will be instrumental in leading and supporting the standards they all have worked so hard for.

Pressure cooker situation in Riverheads man for sure. I wish the new coach well but no so fast on the community stuff , if this staff goes anything below 8 wins which i seriously doubt happens the grumbling will start. Casto has left this coach a brand new Lamborghini of sorts sorry let me rephrase a well broken in tough ass hard nose John Deere tractor this year to plow the fields of the gridiron. Helluva situation to step in , those players of Riverheads quite sure will be instrumental in leading and supporting the standards they all have worked so hard for.

Oh there are definitely major pros and cons with this job.

As they say, you never wanna be the guy who follows the legend.

Success stays the same or goes down - no chance of taking the program upward (unless you win what, the next 4 state titles in a row?).

It will be interesting to see how he does and I hope it goes really well.

Now the new coach at Goochland this past season did an amazing job in his 1st season (he had a great AD and strong continuity as he knew the system).

New Riverheads guy may want to reach out to that organization.

Now the new coach at Goochland this past season did an amazing job in his 1st season (he had a great AD and strong continuity as he knew the system).

I think there are some differences there though. New coach had been at GHS prior and Fowler stayed on as AD. I’d say that was pretty good set up to have your former boss there to mentor you

Reactions: uvacavs1
I think there are some differences there though. New coach had been at GHS prior and Fowler stayed on as AD. I’d say that was pretty good set up to have your former boss there to mentor you

If I recall correctly, Coach Casto is staying on at Riverheads in other capacities. Is that correct?

I believe Casto said something like "I wanna still ride the bus, I just don't wanna drive it." Great line.

Will Riverheads have the same AD and Admin staff? Returning coaches?

Head guy will have support as long as things do not go south.

Hey, if he won at Warhill...(doesn't seem like a football type school but I may be wrong).

In response to why a coach would move from 4A to 1A

Not everyone as aspirations to move to college or the NFL and realize their limitations but still have love for the game or teaching the game.

@uvacavs1, it is my understanding that Coach Casto will still be teaching at Riverheads. As for assistants, I am not sure who is staying other than the D coordinator. The AD and Principal are set to remain so some continuity is going to take place it appears.

Again, maybe I am living in a magical world but I don't see a huge drop off in overall performance. Will we lose some games? I am sure we will. Will we continue with this Championship run? It is hard enough to win one much less two so the past three are a blessing. But.....

I will go ahead a say it now, unless there is a revolt amongst the ranks, we will be in the discussion in late November.

The polar opposite can and has occurred before for successful programs. A good example of how hard a program can crash occurred last year in Staunton River. Prolific offense competing deep in the playoffs for a few years then a coaching change that caused a completely different result to the point of him being replaced very early on. So it does happen that a team can be derailed by leadership change.

Now Aug/Sept can't get here soon enough.

Reactions: offmylawn
There is a culture at RHS that ensures long-term sustainability academically and athletically.

If you’re not studying their strategic plan for academics and athletics... what are you doing?

Think about the success just this year for their athletic programs? It’s community built and supported.

Best of luck to the new coach.

You had to be at last night's Riverheads/Stuarts Draft basketball game (see Winter 2-A thread) to see the passion and support that this community has for its sports programs. It was not always that way because as I, and many others can tell you, there have been other periods of time over the years where we were complete laughing stocks sportswise. So Red Pride is not just a cheer, it is a way of life out there.

The only way I can think of that this new coach could make things go south, to quote a term used here, would be if he were to come in with a whole new system and want to make major changes. So I hope he has an attitude of "it ain't broke, so I don't need to fix it."

Having said that, we are in fact taking on a whole new schedule next season with at least two games that could be challenging.....Glenvar and Skyline.........not to mention a now non-district game with East Rock and the usual Shenandoah battles. So there "could be" some bumps in the road as opposed to the 9 or 10 win regular season we are accustomed to. But I think the bottom would have to really drop out (like a .500 or less season) before there would be any kind of panic.

Welcome back to the mid 90s Riverheads. It’s on now. Lol jk

The school itself is a well oiled machine. While most know of them because of their football prowess, they are constantly district contenders and even more when it comes to basketball, baseball, etc.

He still have to drive that Lamborghini

You had to be at last night's Riverheads/Stuarts Draft basketball game (see Winter 2-A thread) to see the passion and support that this community has for its sports programs. It was not always that way because as I, and many others can tell you, there have been other periods of time over the years where we were complete laughing stocks sportswise. So Red Pride is not just a cheer, it is a way of life out there.

The only way I can think of that this new coach could make things go south, to quote a term used here, would be if he were to come in with a whole new system and want to make major changes. So I hope he has an attitude of "it ain't broke, so I don't need to fix it."

Having said that, we are in fact taking on a whole new schedule next season with at least two games that could be challenging.....Glenvar and Skyline.........not to mention a now non-district game with East Rock and the usual Shenandoah battles. So there "could be" some bumps in the road as opposed to the 9 or 10 win regular season we are accustomed to. But I think the bottom would have to really drop out (like a .500 or less season) before there would be any kind of panic.

It sounds like the new guy coming in has some experience with Wing-T, so that could lead to the "not broken" thing. But if he did not have that experience (maybe he wouldn't have been hired) then it wouldn't be beneficial for him or the team to run that.

The team has had a lot of success in last many years. Its mainly due to Casto knowing his system and being able to convey that to his players. If he tried to run a spread, while his philosophy still being Wing, you wouldn't have been as successful.

The only Organization the new coach needs to reach out to, is VHSL.

Reactions: NNKD4L
Having watched Thad Wheeler the last few years in the Bay Rivers District, I can honestly say this is a GREAT hire for RHS.
His Wing-T is very well executed. He doesn't take or make excuses. His Warhill teams have been hard nosed and extremely disciplined. The kids appeared to absolutely love him. He's EXTREMELY passionate. He reminds me of his father in respect to his mannerisms on the sideline. He will tear into a referee when needed. LOL!
Don't let his overall record at Warhill cause concern, he had number issues to overcome from the previous coaching staff. He progressively made improvements each year.
Without naming any names and not really trying to point fingers, I have heard from an EXTREMELY reliable source that there are some "Admin differences" that exist between coaches and extra curricular activity coordinators. With that being said, Riverheads' rich history and HUGE community support had to be a huge driving force.
I will be honestly shocked if RHS sees a drop-off next season. I don't know Coach Casto, but from everything I've read about him, they just might be carbon copies.

According to article out of Harrisonburg yesterday Coach Norcross, Coach Hemp, and others have resigned from Riverheads Football team. Are they looking at whole new staff? What happened? I thought Coach Norcross had agreed to stay on. Any insight from anyone?

According to article out of Harrisonburg yesterday Coach Norcross, Coach Hemp, and others have resigned from Riverheads Football team. Are they looking at whole new staff? What happened? I thought Coach Norcross had agreed to stay on. Any insight from anyone?

I don't have any insight on this, but I had heard rumblings about this last week. But I don't have any info, just something I had heard

Where did you see this article? I get the Harrisonburg paper and read it pretty carefully and have not seen anything about Riverheads recently.

Where did you see this article? I get the Harrisonburg paper and read it pretty carefully and have not seen anything about Riverheads recently.
Maybe article wasn't the best way to describe it. It was from Cody Elliott (who used to be in Staunton) at Daily News Record on his twitter feed saying per his sources. Sorry for confusion.

No problem. There are always rumors and speculation when a new coach takes over a program. Best news is that we will find out all we need to know about a number of new coaches in just three short months give or take!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT