ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads' Robert Casto retiring

Oct 13, 2014
Official: Robert Casto has informed Riverheads High School that he will retire from teaching at the end of this school year and from Coaching Football after 26 years. He ends with a 261-59 record at RHS including 9 State Championships.

The Gladiators will carry an ongoing streak of 50 consecutive wins (Best active streak in the nation) and 6 consecutive State Championships (VHSL Record).

Reactions: RedPride81
Congrats to Coach Casto. As good(or better) as any that have ever done it in VA! He AVERAGED 10 wins a year!! Rarely do coaches get the chance to go out on their own terms. Whoever slides into that spot will have the biggest of shoes to fill, but a full cupboard to work with!

As someone who witnessed the entire Casto tenure at Riverheads, I can assure you that he brought a level of commitment, pride, and most importantly CONSISTENCY to that program that had only existed sporadically before his arrival. Best wishes for his retirement, and my guess is that he has established such a firm foundation that the tradition of success will continue for many years to come.

Based on my previous comments I am very surprised. Difference now I assume is Casto has his 30 years in to get out completely. Not enough accolades to describe his tenure. On a side note what will Ray Norcross the DC do….. huge part of the equation.

Reactions: Bama1985
Official: Robert Casto has informed Riverheads High School that he will retire from teaching at the end of this school year and from Coaching Football after 26 years. He ends with a 261-59 record at RHS including 9 State Championships.

The Gladiators will carry an ongoing streak of 50 consecutive wins (Best active streak in the nation) and 6 consecutive State Championships (VHSL Record).
Congratulations to coach Casto on his retirement and his incredible record. Like they always say “all good things come to an end” , for sure he left the program better than he found it and set it up for future success. Best of luck as you ride off into the sunset. You will definitely be missed.

Im sure the rest of 1A is celebrating today, end of the Casto era and Cayden Cash transferring to a private school this fall. Things will look a little different in Greenville this fall.

Congrats for the accomplishments on the field and thank you for the impact on so many lives that were made by your presence. Your character and steady guidance will be missed by our young athletes as much or more than your coaching ability. Enjoy your retirement and hopefully the fish are always biting.

Reactions: BGfootball95
Congrats on amazing run Coach Casto. Riverheads has been the class of VA 1A football and Class 1/Class A ball across the country. I still don't think you'll see them take a step back the least bit. Congrats again.
Now with Altavista and Riverheads' programs changing significantly in the last few years...Who's the next dominant program of 1A?

Im sure the rest of 1A is celebrating today, end of the Casto era and Cayden Cash transferring to a private school this fall. Things will look a little different in Greenville this fall.
Not celebrating, if I was guessing they will hire from within this go round and it will be run the same way and continue their dominance.

Where is Cook-Cash going?
Rumor mill had him going to a prep school for more exposure. Pretty sure that has been debunked so I would look for him to suit up in G’ville again. No disrespect to him but even if he leaves the next man up would be Luke Bryant who showed against LB and pretty much everyone after week 3 that he can carry the mail as well. Three more backs that got limited touches this year and a freshman next year that would/could all get carries tells me offensively the train keeps rolling. The impact defensively would be a bigger concern as he has an extremely high football IQ.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Outside of making some off-the-wall hire, Riverheads isn't going anywhere for a while. They could even afford to "take a step back" or even two or three and the rest of 1A would still lag for some time.

Reactions: bulldog1150
Congratulations Coach Casto on a Hall of Fame career. You will be greatly missed in Greenville but not by the keyboard warriors living in the their Mother's basement in Southwest Virginia. Come August we will still have Cook-Cash to get his third ring and behind him there is no lack of talent with Luke Bryant, David Austin, Cody Cash, and the true freshman that terrorized the shenadoah district only known as THE FLASH! So look for Riverheads to continue its dominance for many many years to come!!

My grandson says Casto is a big fan of After The Whistle and he wants to move to SWVA or Back to West Virginia near Bluefield. He is from WVA. I would love to see him on their show in that pizza place. I think that would be fun to watch .

Reactions: RedPride81 and TS69
Pretty sure that Greg Tester (cohost on the show, former Hurley head coach, last few years Wise Central assistant and phenomenal high school athlete in his own right) has studied some film on the Gladiators by the way he discussed the line play on the show. I doubt Casto would ever sit down on a show like that but it would be fun to see Crigger and that group along with him together talking football.

Hope we get someone who can really coach instead of just winning all the time ! LOL

THAT WON'T WORK ! He will just keep on winning . lol 7 in a row , I wish we wood move down to 1A ! oh that's right we are 1A. He will do a great job ! Galax again next year !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT