ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads Struggles Past Covington 41-26

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
One of the oldest football cliches is "a win is a win," so Riverheads will take this one, but the Gladiators made enough mistakes tonight to last a season, and the bye week that they now get may be just what the doctor ordered. The game was downright ugly at times, which was a shame because the not-so-great play overshadowed a fine 4-TD performance by all-state running back Harrison Schaefer. One media source gave him 275 yards rushing tonight as well as an interception that finally closed the door on Covington's fired-up but badly-outnumbered 20-man roster.

Before going any further, our best thoughts go out to an injured Covington player (did not catch either a name or number) who left by ambulance midway through the second quarter for what was believed to be a back injury. Hopefully someone from the Cougar camp can report on his condition.

One local paper had predicted a 56-0 blowout for this one, but for one particular five-minute stretch of the game, it looked as if the visitors just might leave Greenville with an upset victory. During that surge, which began late in the first quarter and carried over in to the second, the Cougars got a 40 yard QB sweep from their all-over-the-field team leader Tyler Dressler and then followed that up with a pair of long fumble recoveries for touchdowns. Heads were being scratched on both sidelines as an early 7-0 RHS lead became an 18-7 deficit faster than you could munch down a hot dog.

The Gladiators to their credit did not panic and rallied back to take a 20-18 halftime lead and never trailed again, but they could never put away the feisty Cougars and also committed some penalties and mental errors on defense that will most definitely be talked about before their September 16th return to action at Waynesboro.

Schaefer's first TD capped an 88-yard drive and Rinaldo Martina's PAT put the Big Red ahead 7-0 midway through the first. At that time the logical assumption would have been that the Gladiators were about to take charge as expected.

But Covington had other ideas and on the next series, Dressler took off around left end for his touchdown. The PAT failed, leaving RHS ahead 7-6. Then the wheels fell off the bus on not one, but two Riverheads' possessions.

On the first one, the ball was stripped in the middle of the line and bounced perfectly up into the waiting arms of a Cougar defender who already had a head of steam going. He had an easy 50-yard dash right up the gut to put Covington ahead 12-7.

Before the crowd could even recover from that one, the Gladiators committed turnover number two. But in all fairness to Riverheads, this one was not so much a mistake as it was a good hard hit. Schaefer had swept around the right end when he was hit with a jarring tackle that popped the ball a good 10 feet up into the air. This time the ball didn't touch the ground as the Johnny-on-the-spot defender hauled it in and had clear sailing to the end zone from about 40 yards out, sending the delirious Cougar crowd into a frenzy.

Fortunately that would be the end of the RHS turnovers as two more Schaefer scores gave them the halftime lead and his fourth TD of the evening capped off another 88-yard Big Red drive. That TD made the score 27-18 midway through the third quarter and for the first time all evening, it looked as if RHS had some breathing room and might pull away.

But no so fast. Covington roared back, helped along by a couple of blown coverages on pass plays and several major penalties, including a dead ball personal foul that no doubt had Coach Casto fuming. As a result, the Cougars scored again, connected on the two-point conversion this time, and suddenly it was 27-26 with the game very much in doubt again.

The Gladiators finally slammed the door in the fourth quarter, courtesy of short touchdown runs by fullback Cameron "Moose" Lee and Brett Hostetler, the first score of the season for each. Also deserving mention was the first action of the season for junior running back Dalton Jordan, who had been injured in the pre-season. His entry in to the game sparked the Big Red and although he didn't score, he probably rushed for about 40-50 yards on half a dozen tough "I dare you to bring me down" carries.

So the Gladiators move to 2-0 with this victory, but frankly they will need to get back to Riverheads football and cut out some of the monkey business if they hope to go very far this year, considering that there are at least three Shenandoah teams that are making noise early and could challenge RHS for the district title this year. Heck there could even be four or five, with Luray winning at Madison tonight to go 2-0 and with Page County putting a serious 51-0 hurting on Nelson County.

So the Big Red has its work cut out. But Coach Casto didn't fall off a turnip truck (this must be my night for country cliches!) so my hunch is that he has already figured out some choice words for the next few practices that will ensure we don't have quite so many mental lapses in one game as we saw tonight. So Waynesboro watch out.......I suspect you will see a much-better focused group of Gladiators in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: uvacavs1
sounds like I missed a crazy game, I was in wva for a family outing this weekend, and was at a game out here which was not so great high school football, but I was getting texts from a rhs fan and was wondering what was going on, I guess Covington was ready to play and rhs was not somewhat, so I bet these next few days of practices will be rougher than usual but he will have them focused for 2 weeks vs Waynesboro GO BIG RED

Make no mistake, RHS was flatter than normal but Covington played a heck of a game. To be short on numbers they are phenomenally condition because they were grinding until the end with no real drop off. The QB is a monster and while it was frustrating to see his speed to the edge, he is most assured the team leader. Much respect to them and the credit for how we played significantly goes to the game plan and effort of the Covington group. Good luck to them and I was told the injured player was number 52, Hunter Smith.

Reactions: gladiators01
As you guys know, I strive to be accurate in these reports I post, but I do rely on memory a lot. With that in mind, I hope someone can clarify the issue of who scored RHS' last touchdown. I clearly thought it was Brett Hostetler and I even thought I remembered the PA announcer saying it was him. Yet the paper today gives it to Chase Armstrong. This is important to me, not only for being accurate, but because I do try to keep some stats. So can anyone verify which guy scored that TD?

That is what I text to Bama when it happened so I'm pretty sure it was Hostetler as well. Didn't hear what the PA announcer said.

Covington came to play. In addition to their QB/LB, WR/DB KJ Moore #3 turned in a fine performance. He was in on most defensive plays. He chased Shaefer down on one long run coming from the opposite side of the field. I believe he also forced one of the fumbles returned for a touchdown. I saw good speed, fundamentals, and instincts.

Thanks guys for the extra input. I am quite happy to hear (and agree) that Covington was a better than expected team and that they had something to do with the results as opposed to it just looking like Riverheads was not focused, which was the way it seemed at times. Do we think this game by the Cougars combined with PM being shut out by Gap might mean that Covington will be the Pioneer favorite this year?

I'd put my money on JR. I think this is their last year in the Pioneer, and they will go out in style. They will get thumped on a yearly basis in the TRD, though. I'm not saying it will always be Giles doing the thumping, but Glenvar, Radford, and Floyd go through periods when one of them can challenge anyone in the state.

The PM-Covington game should be a good one. I don't think Bath or Craig are very good at all.

The one takeaway from this is the PM should be able to get the running game going. Covington played a very good game but we were able to run effectively after the first quarter. If PM struggles against the option then it will be a long night. Where and when is this one going to be played? It should be entertaining.

Riverheads " ugly " win over a 20 man roster Covington squad signals several things about
High school football for the small public schools in Virginia. Things are getting tough for
The small schools to field teams with rosters of 40+ players all over the state. We see it here
In SWVA in a lot of county schools that have not consolidated, yet trying to field competitive
Squads with ADM'S of 200-300 students.
Schools don't want to consolidate, but also want to field a competitive squad each year. But
Each year, it gets tougher for coaches to field competitive teams. Covington is a prime example
Of a school with a small roster playing their heart out on Friday night to keep football alive in
Their community.
I see the day when small schools will have to consolidate for athletic purposes, especially in
Football. It only takes 11 on both sides of the ball to play.; and I bet you the smaller schools
Will play their butts off when they hit the field. It sort of like " Hoosier ", but football.
Numbers are a problem for the A1 schools. It has to be a headache for the coaching staffs to
Keep enough players healthy to play on Fridays. It is not fair to throw a 9th grader in there against
A Jr or Sr from a larger school.
With enrollments falling, and students electing not to participate in football, " Houston, we have
A problem" ! In a lot of cases, the schools with larger rosters do get embrassed by the little guy,
Who have nothing to loose, and play 4 quarters on Pride.

As one of the smallest schools in the state that fields a football team, Covington is more or less consistently decent. This year they got a new coach who has won two state championships (Heritage and Bath County). They have legit speed and are stout on the line. They dominated 3A Alleghany last week on the line, but got burned on a couple deep passes and a trick play. The new coach came with his son, who started at linebacker at Northside. But he has been hurt and hasn't played.

If they can somehow stay injury free (which already doesn't seem to be the case), they could make a run in the playoffs.

2014 ADM was 233. I don't know what it is now. Colonial Beach is a school that I find rather remarkable. They are even smaller and remain competitive somehow.

Reactions: uvacavs1
As one of the smallest schools in the state that fields a football team, Covington is more or less consistently decent. This year they got a new coach who has won two state championships (Heritage and Bath County). They have legit speed and are stout on the line. They dominated 3A Alleghany last week on the line, but got burned on a couple deep passes and a trick play. The new coach came with his son, who started at linebacker at Northside. But he has been hurt and hasn't played.

If they can somehow stay injury free (which already doesn't seem to be the case), they could make a run in the playoffs.
I agree 100 percent ! They should win out the rest of the way .

2014 ADM was 233. I don't know what it is now. Colonial Beach is a school that I find rather remarkable. They are even smaller and remain competitive somehow.
Colonial Beach only has around 175 students or so and have around 40 or so on their football team this year. I find that rather remarkable for a school of that size. Not every year do they have those kind of numbers but year in and year out they remain pretty consistent for a small school. Had a state semifinal appearance in 2007 or 2008 and also won a state basketball title around that same time.

Colonial Beach entered the Vhsl in 2007
2007 8-2 season 2-1 playoffs
2008 10-0 season 1-1 playoffs
2009 4-6 season
2010 6-4 season 0-1 playoffs
2011 3-7 season 0-1 playoffs
2012 6-4 season 1-1 playoffs
2013 5-5 season 0-1 playoffs
2014 8-2 season 2-1 playoffs
2015 3-7 season 0-1 playoffs

Historically, Covington has had one of the toughest programs in the state of Virginia.

Their history includes victories over schools from Arlington and a school known as South Norfolk..we know them as Oscar Smith these days..

Reactions: Chilwar25
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT