ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads travels to Strasburg Monday

Dec 20, 2012
Riverheads lost to East Rock today and has to travel to Strasburg. Both teams are 20-1 . Strasburg has won 18 in a row.

That should be a classic and as of the moment the weather sounds great for the game. These two are not exactly arch rivals although they did have some crazy football games back a number of years ago. I am not sure of their baseball history.

JH will probably come on to give his complete recap, but the score tonight was 5-2. The Gladiators tallied a single run in each of the first two innings to take an early 2-1 lead before the Eagles erupted for four runs in the top of the third. I think they had four hits in the inning but they were helped along by three RHS errors. Their pitcher Noah Brown went the distance and held the Big Red to four hits.

Although it was disappointing to see RHS suffer its first loss, that could turn out to be a good thing in the long run. If they had been under any pressure over being undefeated, now that monkey is off their backs and they can re-focus on just taking one game at a time. After all, as I heard a certain wise person say as we were leaving tonight's game....."somebody has to win five games in a row now to win the state," so maybe we have as good a shot as anybody.

Congrats to the Eagles on tonight's win and if RHS is not destined to successfully defend its title this year, then I would hope that East Rock could win it. It would be cool for the Shenandoah District to have four different teams win state titles over a four-year period.

Yes it should be a classic. In a way it is a shame to have these two play this early in the regional as they are two of the best in the state and one goes home after tomorrow night. Should be a close one as I have heard RHS plays sound defense as does Strasburg and both seem to have good pitching and hitting. Best of Luck to RHS and have safe travels. Hope to meet some different people from a different school at the game. I may be wrong but I think this is the first ever matchup between these two programs. I hope Strasburg comes out on top but if not I will be pulling for RHS since they would have ended our season.

Riverheads and Strasburg played a couple of years ago in 2007 or 2008 up at Strasburg. It was a regional matchup and I drove all the way to Strasburg got out of the car, walked over to the field saw one pitch and the skies opened up and the game was called and played the next night.

That was in 2009, my son's senior year. That was also the first Regional win in Riverheads' baseball history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT