ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads vs Galax

Who wins this one and why ?
I think Riv has the advantage playing at home and playing on grass. Having said that I think its anybodys ball game. Riv is susceptible to the pass, Galax has a good passing and running game, and a very good defense. Riv has faced some bigger and faster teams this year than Galax has. I think its going to be a game like last year. Good luck to both teams.

Galax will have to be successful passing the ball to keep it close. I've seen them 3 times, the first GW game, Narrows and Holston. Their defense is very good, but they won't be able to shutdown the Riverheads ground game completely and I think the Gladiator defense will cause trouble. In the 3 games I have seen of Galax, they had spells on offense where they had trouble scoring. They also can't afford to have 95 yards in penalties like they did last night. Riverheads 42 Galax 7

toooo many mistakes . Riverheads better clean it up ! Coaches better set a fire under those young kids or they will be the team that broke the winning streak . Did not make the game but watched on tv . Riverheads is not good . jmo

One knee sucks ! If that happens at RHS someone will need medical attention ! To many Red Pride fans LOVE this country ! jmo

Reactions: BGfootball95
I hate to give an opinion on a message board where I feel that a team doesn't have a chance. I won't do it here either. I think Galax truly has a chance, but Riverheads is just incredibly skilled and they just have 11 very very good football players on the field at all times, and when you put a brain like they have on the sidelines coaching them, it creates lots of wins and lots of titles. I think Galax is the most athletic team Riverheads will have faced and that includes Draft and West Point. But, there's also the key component about simply being a better player and Draft is better than Galax. I got Riverheads by 17 Athleticism can keep it closer than expected, but much has to be said for being a great football player and Riverheads has em. Reds 31, Galax 14. Interesting and somewhat surprising to me is that Calpreps has this game as 31-21 for Riverheads. That's much closer I think than what many people are thinking. Calpreps is alarmingly accurate, so as a Riverheads fan, I know I'm still feeling good, but slightly not quite as good after seeing that projection.

Reactions: RedPride81
I see the score 31 - 28 and the team that wins does not turn the ball over !

Galax can't be off like they were Friday night if they want to win this game. We have had a few games where the offense struggled to find their groove but when they are on they are pretty dang good. Galax will have to cut out the penalties and play crisp on offense to win this one. Galax has a solid defense but this will easily be the best team we have faced this year. Riverheads is just good all the way around like always and will be tough to beat but they're not unbeatable. Galax will definitely have to play there A game to pull off the win but it can be done.

Last edited:
Galax can't be off like the were Friday night if they want to win this game. We have had a few games where the offense struggled to find their groove but when they are on they are pretty dang good. Galax will have to cut out the penalties and play crisp on offense to win this one. Galax has a solid defense but this will easily be the best team we have faced this year. Riverheads is just good all the way around like always and will be tough to beat but they're not unbeatable. Galax will definitely have to play there A game to pull off the win but it can be done.
Agree ! If RHS plays the way they did @ WP and Galax has a ok game it's a toss up.

Last year I felt Galax had more talent and was the better team in my humble opinion. And still lost a very hard fought battle. This year I feel the talent level and the better overall team is RH.

Galax is extremely young and small across the front (one freshmen, two sophomores, a junior and one senior). Although they have played extremely well against much bigger guys across the Line and have won the line of scrimmage in every game. Galax struggled getting to the next level blocks on Friday and it hampered them, but still wore Holston down by third quarter. Rh is very athletic across the front on D. It will be a battle for sure. The Edge here goes to RH.

As others have stated... Galax has not played a good offensive quarter since the first half of the Narrows game. Galax shows flashes of brilliance on offense then will struggle. On the other hand RH struggled heavily with a Tazewell team that is simply not good this year.

For Galax to make this a game they will have to play almost flawlessly. And in my opinion it comes down to Pickett. Galax has a good stable of backs, but This kid is a game changer and you could see that when Galax needed the tough yards they went to Pickett and he delivered. If Galax can set Pickett up to have a good game then it could be a good game.

People give RH offense all the credit but their D is legit, especially against the run. The shear amount of players that RH has allows them to keep throwing fresh bodies at you as well. That is within itself something 99% of the teams in 1A do not have that luxury of. I believe I counter 24 players WP dressed Saturday. That's tuff when you are playing against a machine like RH.

This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Galax and everyone wrote them off after Dixon left. For them to make it to the championship game is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations to Coach Allen as not many first year head coaches make it to the big dance. Not that just making it there is good enough for rabid fans lol.

RH has been a common opponent since 2015 and I can say they have played with class against us. Good luck and congrats on a great season.

Last year I felt Galax had more talent and was the better team in my humble opinion. And still lost a very hard fought battle. This year I feel the talent level and the better overall team is RH.

Galax is extremely young and small across the front (one freshmen, two sophomores, a junior and one senior). Although they have played extremely well against much bigger guys across the Line and have won the line of scrimmage in every game. Galax struggled getting to the next level blocks on Friday and it hampered them, but still wore Holston down by third quarter. Rh is very athletic across the front on D. It will be a battle for sure. The Edge here goes to RH.

As others have stated... Galax has not played a good offensive quarter since the first half of the Narrows game. Galax shows flashes of brilliance on offense then will struggle. On the other hand RH struggled heavily with a Tazewell team that is simply not good this year.

For Galax to make this a game they will have to play almost flawlessly. And in my opinion it comes down to Pickett. Galax has a good stable of backs, but This kid is a game changer and you could see that when Galax needed the tough yards they went to Pickett and he delivered. If Galax can set Pickett up to have a good game then it could be a good game.

People give RH offense all the credit but their D is legit, especially against the run. The shear amount of players that RH has allows them to keep throwing fresh bodies at you as well. That is within itself something 99% of the teams in 1A do not have that luxury of. I believe I counter 24 players WP dressed Saturday. That's tuff when you are playing against a machine like RH.

This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Galax and everyone wrote them off after Dixon left. For them to make it to the championship game is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations to Coach Allen as not many first year head coaches make it to the big dance. Not that just making it there is good enough for rabid fans lol.

RH has been a common opponent since 2015 and I can say they have played with class against us. Good luck and congrats on a great season.
Tazewell not that good? They were easily the 2nd best team we faced all year. They lost in OT on 2 pt conversion to Graham. They looked pretty good to me.

Reactions: BGfootball95
I believe I counter 24 players WP dressed Saturday. That's tuff when you are playing against a machine like RH.

They must’ve added some JV to the playoff roster. I thought I counted 19 at the regional championship vs K&Q.

Tazewell not that good? They were easily the 2nd best team we faced all year. They lost in OT on 2 pt conversion to Graham. They looked pretty good to me.
They might have been the second best team you played this year, it still doesn't make them a good team this year. The only wins they had was against Marion and Lebanon who was the sisters of the weak. And a one point win against Richlands that was throttled by Radford. They was better than last year but was still not a great team. They might have fell off after the RH game but struggled rest of the year.

Definitely. WP is one of the smallest class 1 football playing schools in the state. The school division enrollment has gotten a bit smaller in the last 20 years. And the societal trend moving away from students playing football is evident.

Reactions: Optimal62
They might have been the second best team you played this year, it still doesn't make them a good team this year. The only wins they had was against Marion and Lebanon who was the sisters of the weak. And a one point win against Richlands that was throttled by Radford. They was better than last year but was still not a great team. They might have fell off after the RH game but struggled rest of the year.
Struggled? They hadn't beaten Richlands in like 20 years, finally beat then, lost a razor close game to Graham then came unglued v. Wise. They were a good team.

Struggled? They hadn't beaten Richlands in like 20 years, finally beat then, lost a razor close game to Graham then came unglued v. Wise. They were a good team.
Struggled a 3 and 3 record. A win against Richlands this year was not the same as in the past. Like I stated might have been a good team to start the year but struggled the rest.

Tazewell could have been great, or not good, basing anything by win loss record in this shortened season doesn't tell much.

Yes, they finished 3-3, but they were about a yard from taking the lead late in Riverheads game (inside redzone and didn't convert 4th and 1 iirc, Riverheads then scored). RH is obviously in State Final. Then it sounds like a 1 pt OT loss to Graham who was the 1 seed, and then a playoff loss to 2 seed Central.

Point being, any 3-3 record isn't the same. I'd be willing to bet that there were 3-3 teams in the state that would be better than 4-2 teams, and 4-2 teams better than 5-1 teams.

And even more, to base how good a team is more from their own performance but from one of their opponents performances against another team seems way off to me

Struggled a 3 and 3 record. A win against Richlands this year was not the same as in the past. Like I stated might have been a good team to start the year but struggled the rest.
They lost to the top seed in 2D, the second seed in 2D and the likely 1A state champ. They lost to good teams and could have easily won 2/3. I don't see how they struggled as much as they were a good team and not a great team. Ask the Riverheads guys, Tazwell made them sweat a ton. Richlands wasn't a great team by any means but they had dominated Tazwell in recent memory, beating them was more mental than physical.

I'm not saying they're some juggernaut team but saying they aren't good is just untrue.

It looks like I touched some nerves here. So let me clarify and break it down Barney style for you.
My exact point in the post was that Galax has struggled off an on and that Riverheads had a very hard time with Tazewell. Trying to make a point of both teams had had some off days. And quiet honestly RH could of lost to them as they had to come back from behind what two, three times? I wasn't trying to knock the bulldogs by any means but was trying to say they did not blow out Tazewell who was by no means no where near cream of the 2A crop this year. In which with the talent and program that RH has they should have handled easily. As far as comparing how tazwell did against one team, I was just pointing out that their signature win against Richlands did not carry the same weight as in the past. Just like Narrows beating a Giles team this year does not carry the same weight as beating them in their more successful years.

It looks like I touched some nerves here. So let me clarify and break it down Barney style for you.
My exact point in the post was that Galax has struggled off an on and that Riverheads had a very hard time with Tazewell. Trying to make a point of both teams had had some off days. And quiet honestly RH could of lost to them as they had to come back from behind what two, three times? I wasn't trying to knock the bulldogs by any means but was trying to say they did not blow out Tazewell who was by no means no where near cream of the 2A crop this year. In which with the talent and program that RH has they should have handled easily. As far as comparing how tazwell did against one team, I was just pointing out that their signature win against Richlands did not carry the same weight as in the past. Just like Narrows beating a Giles team this year does not carry the same weight as beating them in their more successful years.

If you had started out like this you wouldn't have ruffled those feathers, and it doesn't mean anything to me if Tazewell was good or not, but you kept on replying to the number of people with you saying they weren't good, and then of course my favorite word struggled.

So what makes them "not good", and what constitutes a good team? You already tried pointing out finish of 3-3.

But maybe go back and read what you wrote. You went from a good team when they played RH, to not good because they barely beat Richlands who got crushed by Radford. So yes, you most certainly take more stock in your assessment of Tazewell via a game they didn't play in, vs when they were directly involved. It seems you already had a preconceived view on them. In fact, you stated you wanted to show how any tops teams can have a down game. Yet you don't extend that to Tazewell, and even more so you don't want to qualify why Richlands could have had a bad day at Radford.

But, let's play a little game.

1. Since Tazewell was not good, what would Graham be, who beat them by 1 in OT?

2. What game did Tazewell loss that they were favored in?

3. Since a .500 record says they weren't good, what does that say about Poquoson (end of Reg Season), Handley, Amherst, Deep Run, Woodgrove, Harrisonburg, Mountain View, Grassfield.

Now I guess by logic that 3-3 is no good, 4-2 is fair.

Say hello to: Robinson, Mount Vernon, West Springfield, Lake Braddock, William Fleming, Varina, Pulaski, Broad Run, Powhatan, Dinwiddie, Warwick, Warhill, New Kent, Hopewell (3-2 finish), Ridgeview (2-1), Radford, Page County.

Now, you see without context how it's misleading

If you had started out like this you wouldn't have ruffled those feathers, and it doesn't mean anything to me if Tazewell was good or not, but you kept on replying to the number of people with you saying they weren't good, and then of course my favorite word struggled.

So what makes them "not good", and what constitutes a good team? You already tried pointing out finish of 3-3.

But maybe go back and read what you wrote. You went from a good team when they played RH, to not good because they barely beat Richlands who got crushed by Radford. So yes, you most certainly take more stock in your assessment of Tazewell via a game they didn't play in, vs when they were directly involved. It seems you already had a preconceived view on them. In fact, you stated you wanted to show how any tops teams can have a down game. Yet you don't extend that to Tazewell, and even more so you don't want to qualify why Richlands could have had a bad day at Radford.

3. Since a .500 record says they weren't good, what does that say about Poquoson (end of Reg Season), Handley, Amherst, Deep Run, Woodgrove, Harrisonburg, Mountain View, Grassfield.

Say hello to: Robinson, Mount Vernon, West Springfield, Lake Braddock, William Fleming, Varina, Pulaski, Broad Run, Powhatan, Dinwiddie, Warwick, Warhill, New Kent, Hopewell (3-2 finish), Ridgeview (2-1), Radford, Page County.

You guys sound like a bunch of grade school kids. I cannot believe you guys are so butthurt because he said that Tazwell was not a good team this year and struggled. What did he state that is not true?
Tazwell went 3 and 3 . The teams they beat had a combined 10 wins between them.
They struggled to beat a Richlands team that is a shell of its usual self.
He made the statement that RH struggled with a mid tier 2a team when they played. If you think Tazwell was a top tier 2a team this year then you are sadly mistaken.

Facts are pesky little things when they don't fit your narrative but grow up and stop being so butthurt over a strangers opinion.

I won't get into this discussion too deeply but I will say that Tazewell was an impressive team that first night at Riverheads. The Gladiators had to come from behind three times to subdue them. I was also impressed with their fan support that night. Can't speak of course for what they did after that.

Another point worth mentioning is that each year I have noticed that there is a huge difference between Riverheads' first game of the season and its second. Even if they win easily, as they of course sometimes do, if there were mistakes made that first game, they are generally corrected by the next week. I guess with any team it takes a week to get to know your personnel and see how they will react in game situations.

Reactions: TS69
You guys sound like a bunch of grade school kids. I cannot believe you guys are so butthurt because he said that Tazwell was not a good team this year and struggled. What did he state that is not true?
Tazwell went 3 and 3 . The teams they beat had a combined 10 wins between them.
They struggled to beat a Richlands team that is a shell of its usual self.
He made the statement that RH struggled with a mid tier 2a team when they played. If you think Tazwell was a top tier 2a team this year then you are sadly mistaken.

Facts are pesky little things when they don't fit your narrative but grow up and stop being so butthurt over a strangers opinion.
Facts? lol what facts? This was all about him calling Tazwell, a team that was 3-2 entering the postseason and the #3 seed in 2D a bad team. People pointed out they were not a bad team, just not a great one. The only person who is seemingly offended and butthurt is you.

When teams play fewer games, they win fewer games, crazy concept I know. Not one person is saying Tazwell is great or very good, just that calling them bad and saying they struggled isn't true either.

That's an extremely reasonable post and I have no issues at all with what you're saying there. I just thought the characterization of Tazwell as bad was unfair.

Reactions: Optimal62
From what I have seen, give me a couple of cortisone shots and I can rush for 100+ yards behind the Riverheads line. No disrespect to their RBs. If a team can pass though, it looks to be a blemish in that secondary.

Tazwell had a BIG, strong, experienced defensive line. That is one thing that has historically given RHS some problems in the few games they have lost in the past twenty years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT