ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2 of Playoffs

Oct 13, 2013
Should be an interesting week of football in the 1A East. Any upsets in the making?

Essex v Luray
Riverheads v Altavista
Franklin v Lunenburg
Sussex v William Campbell

If I had to rank those four lower seeds in terms of their best chances to pull the upset, I would go Lunenburg, William Campbell, Altavista, Luray.

If I had to pick one it'd be Lunenburg. They've put up a lot of points in many games this year and Franklin has given up some points in a lot of their big games this year. (60 to Brunswick and 42 to Greenville come to mind off the top of my head). But Lunenburg has also given up alot of points in games this year as well. (70 to Buckingham for one) WC has the weapons to hang with Sussex but can they stop the Tigers? Not to mention Sussex has a good defense and good size and I don't think WC will be putting up 67 on the Tigers.

I'd rank them :
Altavista: Down this year, but well coached and capable of pulling the upset against anyone any time.
William Campbell: Much tougher schedule should have the Generals better prepared than the Tigers
Central Lunenburg: Depends on which Franklin team shows up.
Luray: Really no chance. I've seen them a couple of times this year fail to rise to the occasion.

William Campbell better prepared because of a tougher schedule? After a 3-7 Colonial Beach team from a down NND went toe to toe (67-60) with William Campbell Friday, I wouldn't call that better prepared. Game 4 this year Sussex beat Colonial Beach 18-6. WC/ Sussex is a hard one to call. Altavista...Well coached they may be, but the talent is not as elite as the last 3 years.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
I look for each of them to be close games, even the Essex one. Not necessarily because I think Luray is good enough to beat them, but the way Essex plays eats up the clock.

Essex can't sleep in Luray either. A #16 Luray (3-7) played #1 Essex (10-0) in the 1st round and gave Essex a scare. The final was 28-12 Essex. At the half it was just a one score game. Less than 7 of I'm remembering correctly. Forgot the score but it was close. I'm hoping Essex will pick it up in the passing game. Gonna need both run and pass if we continue to advance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT