ADVERTISEMENT

My First Top 10 Of The Season

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
I waited a couple of weeks to do a top 10 and things are definitely very tight. Teams like Galax and George Wythe have played tough games, but no doubt they'll be in the mix of 1A when it's all said and done. As always just my opinion, and honestly no team has really stood out thus far.

1. Honaker
2. Essex
3. Grayson
4. Sussex
5. George Wythe
6. Galax
7. Patrick Henry
8. Narrows
9. Rye Cove
10. Northumberland

On the Western part of the state, I believe Honaker is head and shoulders over everyone else right now. That air raid offense has proven to be dangerous this season as they’ve put up over 50 points in the first half in both their games. Grayson, GW, and Galax is still a toss up for me. I thought Grayson would dominate the West but so far they haven’t looked impressive with close wins against below average teams. It will still be another week or 2 before we know what GW and Galax has. With playing these power house 2A schools it’s hard to judge but I’m sure both schools will have a solid season.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
On the Western part of the state, I believe Honaker is head and shoulders over everyone else right now. That air raid offense has proven to be dangerous this season as they’ve put up over 50 points in the first half in both their games. Grayson, GW, and Galax is still a toss up for me. I thought Grayson would dominate the West but so far they haven’t looked impressive with close wins against below average teams. It will still be another week or 2 before we know what GW and Galax has. With playing these power house 2A schools it’s hard to judge but I’m sure both schools will have a solid season.
Yes, Honaker seems to be flying high with their offense. As for the Region C teams you mentioned, I definitely think Galax and GW will be fine. It's for sure hard to judge them by playing top level Class 2 teams. I look for Grayson to get things going as well. It's pretty exciting because for the first time in years, Class 1 is wide open and it's a number of teams who could get hot and win it all

I waited a couple of weeks to do a top 10 and things are definitely very tight. Teams like Galax and George Wythe have played tough games, but no doubt they'll be in the mix of 1A when it's all said and done. As always just my opinion, and honestly no team has really stood out thus far.

1. Honaker
2. Essex
3. Grayson
4. Sussex
5. George Wythe
6. Galax
7. Patrick Henry
8. Narrows
9. Rye Cove
10. Northumberland
Like always man a very fair top 10

Close game. Personally I think RC getting a lot of hype. Don’t know if they’re as good as the hype.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Close game. Personally I think RC getting a lot of hype. Don’t know if they’re as good as the hype.
Don't know much about RC, but they had a really good year last year. Could of been a lot of talent in that junior class are seniors now.

Don't know much about RC, but they had a really good year last year. Could of been a lot of talent in that junior class are seniors now.
Rye Cove returned a ton of players from that team last year that was really good.

Essex
Honaker
Patrick Henry
Sussex
Giles
Narrows
Galax
Rye Cove
Grayson
Northumberland/George Wythe

Have to give credit to Coach Jones and his staff at Essex, returning I think 3 starters from last years team and zero offensive players and are still able to compete and be recognized as one of the best in the state is impressive. Should be some very competitive playoff games this year.

Have to give credit to Coach Jones and his staff at Essex, returning I think 3 starters from last years team and zero offensive players and are still able to compete and be recognized as one of the best in the state is impressive. Should be some very competitive playoff games this year.
At least thus far, this Essex team seems to hang its hat on a fast, physical defense and a methodical run game. Both are keys to success, especially come November and December.

Reactions: RappriverEHS
Rye Cove returned every major offensive position player from last year. The folks over on SWVA were expecting a blowout by Honaker but the Cove kept it close and the final was 40-32. Honaker has a dangerous passing game. Rye Cove made their mark with several explosive plays. The QB, RB, and a couple different wide receivers from Rye Cove will make you hurt if you make a mistake. It looked like the QB from Honaker is the same way.

Rye Cove returned every major offensive position player from last year. The folks over on SWVA were expecting a blowout by Honaker but the Cove kept it close and the final was 40-32. Honaker has a dangerous passing game. Rye Cove made their mark with several explosive plays. The QB, RB, and a couple different wide receivers from Rye Cove will make you hurt if you make a mistake. It looked like the QB from Honaker is the same way.
This might be the year for Southwest Va. RH gone, Essex might be formidable by December, BG seems to be struggling with a heck of of schedule, Sussex who knows, and a couple others. Maybe trophy goes far west this year. Who knows that why the game is played.

This might be the year for Southwest Va. RH gone, Essex might be formidable by December, BG seems to be struggling with a heck of of schedule, Sussex who knows, and a couple others. Maybe trophy goes far west this year. Who knows that why the game is played.
It's definitely wide open for sure.

Region C is wide open and down this year. Grayson county who was highly favored to win the west has looked very terrible offensively against three mediocre team thus far and extremely undisciplined could have lost against Carroll and Alleghany easily as both games was was in doubt till the final few minutes. Galax is young and trying to figure out how to play without any of Dixon’s kids. GW is young as well.
Giles is hard to know what you will get there. Will be an interesting year.

Essex is formidable right now because of their defense. For Honaker, it's their offense.

Essex is formidable right now because of their defense. For Honaker, it's their offense.
Essex is also running the double wing as their main offense and could still be feeling their way through with no returning starters. I expect the offense to pick up going forward as they get more used to the offense and the players get more accustomed

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Essex is also running the double wing as their main offense and could still be feeling their way through with no returning starters. I expect the offense to pick up going forward as they get more used to the offense and the players get more accustomed
Double wing like Riverheads. If so, that’s dang scary. With the speed, their size, and a Gerry good head coach, look out 1A. Saw them play a Gate City team in the early 2000’s running wing t. They were impressive in that game. Game was at JMU.

Double wing like Riverheads. If so, that’s dang scary. With the speed, their size, and a Gerry good head coach, look out 1A. Saw them play a Gate City team in the early 2000’s running wing t. They were impressive in that game. Game was at JMU.
Yes I believe that was 2003. The year after that, Essex went to the spread. They have run double wing at times in the past under Coach Jones and Coach Fulks when he was there, but this is the first year that they've been primarily double wing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT