3. Honaker
4. Altavista
5. Sussex
6. George Wythe
7. Brunswick
8. Rye Cove
9. Northumberland
10. Grayson
I am certainly good with all those well-deserved State 1A Top Ten teams!

Great work all season kwhs95fan. (Look forward to you keeping us informed with the basketball season as well.)

I still say that George Wythe and Northumberland should be the #5 and #6 teams respectfully but it is just for fun and our opinions.

The only thing we know for certain is Galax ended up the 2023 State Champions and Essex as an extremely close runner up!

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Just some fascinating stats (to me anyway) about Northumberland v Essex and comparing results to other teams.

Essex (14-1) only allowed 9 touchdowns all season in their 13 games not played against Northumberland.

Essex only allowed 2 touchdowns in the 3 games v Galax, Altavista, and Sussex (all teams in the above state Top 5).

In the two games this season played by Essex at Essex against Northumberland, Northumberland scored 9 touchdowns while away against that amazing Essex D....

Northumberland went 10-2 against 1A teams (only lost to Essex).

I don't care what anyone says in the East those are some impressive stats right there...

I was talking about the great special teams play by Galax and how the western teams are often way more precise than the Eastern teams.

I'd like to add that Northumberland has excellent special teams especially for an Eastern team.

I think that the NHS Kicker, James Blake, a 10th grader, (who was voted the 1st team All-Region K) broke the NND record for extra points made during the season.

I saw him make like 6 or 7 in a row in one game just a few weeks ago during the playoffs. That's something you usually do not ever see around here.

Blake and NHS QB Lundy should be in the running for 1st Team All-State in their positions as well as some of the WRs etc.

As this season has come to an end, I'll finish up with this suggestion just for fun!

I think a wild, cool idea would be to unite the Northumberland Offense with the Essex Defense to play against the Honaker Offense and the Galax Defense!

True East v West Battle - Top Two Offenses v the Top Two Defenses! Ha - that would be some exciting football...

Reactions: Optimal62
1. Galax
2. Essex
3. George Wythe
4. Honaker
5. Altavista
6. Sussex
7. Patrick Henry
8. Rye Cove
9. Brunswick
10. Grayson

ADVERTISEMENT