Running Clock Rule

NND Sports Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 1, 2002
I have seen the running clock rule utilized in two ways since its inception:
1. the clock stops following scoring plays and during timeouts
2. the clock only stops during timeouts
which is it supposed to be?

How it's supposed to be and how it actually works are often different.

Here's how it's technically supposed to work in Virginia, which is different from almost all other states.

Clock remains running on plays that end out of bounds.
Clock remains running on incomplete passes.

That's it.

If you look at that, it means the clock still stops on a first down. It means the clock remains stopped until the snap after a change of possession.

The reason we have a running clock in blowout games is to get the thing over with before there are problems. In most cases, the coaches are the biggest proponents of getting the game finished. Those running clock rules the state put out doesn't do much to actually keep the clock running.

So officials will tell a coach when the point differential reaches 35 that we're going to running clock rules. In some cases the coach of a team that's behind will say "don't stop it for anything." I was told that in a JV game a couple weeks ago.

Other guys are just unfamiliar with the timing rules since they're not in the rule book and it's not something the VHSL goes to any effort to share. So you get some guys thinking the clock stops for penalty enforcement and others thinking it doesn't.

If the game is chippy and frustrated kids are having trouble with self-control, it's a good idea to get it done and get out.

On the other hand, if each coach is using the game to get younger players in to get some experience, and the players in the game are glad to be getting a chance and everyone is playing football, then the game should proceed in the prescribed manner.

Problem I have with running clock is the younger players don't get many snaps. I have seen teams only get one possession in the 2nd half.

9:34 left in 1st Half

I saw running clock start Friday night with one team up 42-0 with 9:34 remaining in first half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT