ADVERTISEMENT

?? Rustburg

Oct 6, 2010
I have one concern about Rustburg. Just curious why they don't get the ball to the Dixon kid a lot more than they do. They have 3 power backs out of the backfield but none of those 3 are get to the edge type of runners. In my opinion they need that speed guy. Dixon can feel that role. Why not run some jet sweeps or line him up in backfield with some direct snaps or screens. He is a gifted athlete who should touch the ball more on offense.

I think you have a good point. I have seen Rustburg a few times this season and he is all over the field. The only issues I have heard about him are that he is a little under sized and that he lets his emotions take over at times. He plays best when he stays under control. I wouldn't be surprised if as the playoffs advance you may see them try to get him the ball more.

Reactions: aimhighveteran
Yes he is undersized but he has been like that his whole career. He does not go down easily. Just dont understand how you dont utilize all of your talent. They used a new formation against glass the other week with both running backs in the backfield. I thought it was a good change up from what they normally have. He didnt use that formation this week. Not sure why unless you knew you could beat alleghany and not show to much. Anybody know what spotswood has? Magna Vista vs SR should be a good game. Could be first team to 80 wins. SR hasnt stopped anybody defensivly all year. At some point someone will slow them down enough to win. MV could be that team.

Reactions: aimhighveteran
I think MV vs SR gonna depend on if chris scales is in the game. I think MV can still pull out the win, but i believe it will be close. Chris isn't the whole team, but his absence would make a impact

I've been impressed with the line play of Rustburg. 58, 61, 62, 52, 50 and 72 are a force upfront. The skill players are really good, but the the line play has been what has gotten them to where they are. This game is won in the trenches and these guys are getting it done upfront

I agree. Defensvily last night i didnt think they got as good of pressure from the dline as they have all season. Some of that could be alleghany adjustments from the first game. Was kind of shocked at the crowd last night. Not a lot of support from what has been at the games most of the season.

I have one concern about Rustburg. Just curious why they don't get the ball to the Dixon kid a lot more than they do. They have 3 power backs out of the backfield but none of those 3 are get to the edge type of runners. In my opinion they need that speed guy. Dixon can feel that role. Why not run some jet sweeps or line him up in backfield with some direct snaps or screens. He is a gifted athlete who should touch the ball more on offense.
I have been saying that about Dixon all season. He smal but that didnt hinder Navy Jones from JF. i think Dixon is all state in track too. its a shame that boy not in backfield and used more.

Reactions: padlevel
I watched the tape of Spotswood this morning. They run a version of the 5-2 on defense or some call it a 4-3 with a rocker. Either term you prefer the strong side lb/end is up close to the line.
Offense- they vary from two distinct formations. Either a pistol set with 3/4 wide and one rb who will go in motion at times. Or they will line up in a jumbo set and run a version of the single wing. They have it setup to run multiple fakes or pass from this set.
Special teams- probably the Achilles heel. Kickoff will end up around the 20 and they have a rugby style punter who will run out and kick in motion.
All in all fundamentally sound and can move with fakes and formations. Should be a real test for both teams

It seems to me their best wr is Lamberth. That kid seems to catch everything on offense and defense. They should get the ball in his hands more. In the 1st round you should never go deeper than you have to in the offensive playbook. This round or next I bet they start adding wrinkles and plays like you mentioned.

It seems to me their best wr is Lamberth. That kid seems to catch everything on offense and defense. They should get the ball in his hands more. In the 1st round you should never go deeper than you have to in the offensive playbook. This round or next I bet they start adding wrinkles and plays like you mentioned.
They have been sleeping on Lamberth a long time! His sport is baseball, (state champ) but a great athlete if they used him more in football. Too bad he is a sr.

I've been impressed with the line play of Rustburg. 58, 61, 62, 52, 50 and 72 are a force upfront. The skill players are really good, but the the line play has been what has gotten them to where they are. This game is won in the trenches and these guys are getting it done upfront

The last couple games 72 has been a beast. They got to get this guy on the field more. High motor and gives them depth which will be a necessity going forward.

I thought at the beginning of the year the depth would be a problem for the Red Devils line. 72 has answered that question. Has plays were he gets upfield a little too much but has been solid outside of that. Definitely needs to be on the field more to keep the line fresh longer.

You are right about him. i don't remember him dropping many balls. If he can get fingers on it he is catching it.

The last couple games 72 has been a beast. They got to get this guy on the field more. High motor and gives them depth which will be a necessity going forward.

Reusser is the kid your talking about. He had an injury early in the year and took awhile to get back. He is the only junior lineman and is proving every week he should be on the field.

Rustburg 35 Spotswood 21

Last edited:
Reactions: newleather
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT