ADVERTISEMENT

Sack of QB

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
Play; QB drops back to pass, gets heavy pressure, gets sacked. Then says he "heard a whistle" and stopped. what's the ruling ?

Could you be anymore vague?

The ball is dead where he was tackled. Next down.

Unless the officials heard the whistle, it didn't happen. Considering the QB was facing heavy pressure, it's obvious the defense didn't hear any whistle either. The next down is played from where the QB was sacked.

That's what I thought. but on play in question, the down was replayed. I don't see how the QB could have heard a whistle alledgelly coming from the stands, with all the "game noise". He was on far side of field from where he said whistle came from. after the sack the officials placed ball at original line of scrimmage and replayed 4th down. Thankfully the offensive team still did not get a first down.

That's a different ball of wax altogether. If there HAD been an inadvertant whistle from an official (or one from the stands loud enough to be mistaken for an official's whistle), the team in posession at the time of the whistle is given two options, take the ball at the spot where it was when the whistle blew, or replay the down. Sounds like they took the replay, as he was likely behind the line of scrimmage when the whistle blew.
This post was edited on 11/23 1:55 PM by Fadamor

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
That's what I thought. but on play in question, the down was replayed. I don't see how the QB could have heard a whistle alledgelly coming from the stands, with all the "game noise". He was on far side of field from where he said whistle came from. after the sack the officials placed ball at original line of scrimmage and replayed 4th down. Thankfully the offensive team still did not get a first down.

And how do you know none of the officials heard the whistle?

Answer: you don't.

the officials did not blow play dead until QB was sacked. if refs had heard the whistle also, looks like they'd had blown play dead before sack.

The head official was same ref that blew an inadvertant whistle in 2002 on a Gretna kickoff return. Granted that had nothing to do with this play, but if I had been in position to do so, I would have reminded him of 2002.

HR-6 I have umpired softball games for you and I do not remember you having that kind of recall. Pickin a littl.

HR, to overstate the obvious, I think there was more going on here than you know. Here's what I am certain DIDN'T happen. QB sacked on 4th down and says "I heard a whistle." Head ref then says, "No one else did but I'll take your word for it. Replay!!!"

Either another official stepped up and said he blew an inadvertant whistle or another official said he heard a whistle that could have been mistaken as an official's whistle. As Fadamor said, in either case one option is to replay the down.

The other thing I can promise is 2002 didn't have anything to do with one single play that happened in 2010.

An update

Tonight I was informed that perhaps the most respected man in Gretna talked with one of the officials after the game. What happened was, 2 women sitting on the Manassas Park side, were "whistling with their mouth and fingers". This caused the down to be replayed. It shouldn't have been replayed, if nothing else, because the "noise" came from MP side of field. I guess they were excited over the Gretna defensive line and let out a whistle. No one actually blew a whistle. I knew it was a flaky play because no one of Gretna side of field hear it. Everyone should be thankful that it had no bearing on outcome of game.
This post was edited on 11/23 7:02 PM by Hampton Roads 6

Originally posted by bowlingref:
HR-6 I have umpired softball games for you and I do not remember you having that kind of recall.

Did he whine and complain about every call during those games like he does on these forums?

He actually paid me a compliment on my umpiring. I think they were winning not whinning. I have heard that he was at times on the field,just like he is here on Va. preps.
lurk.gif

Re: An update

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
Tonight I was informed that perhaps the most respected man in Gretna talked with one of the officials after the game. What happened was, 2 women sitting on the Manassas Park side, were "whistling with their mouth and fingers". This caused the down to be replayed. It shouldn't have been replayed, if nothing else, because the "noise" came from MP side of field. I guess they were excited over the Gretna defensive line and let out a whistle. No one actually blew a whistle. I knew it was a flaky play because no one of Gretna side of field hear it. Everyone should be thankful that it had no bearing on outcome of game.

This post was edited on 11/23 7:02 PM by Hampton Roads 6
It wouldn't have any bearing on the outcome of the game. That's the players' job. Quirky plays are part of the game and it's the players' job to win by enough points to overcome any possible quirky plays.

HR6 has never whined or complained about a call, only has seeked clarification on the rule.

(Never was ejected, T'd up, or rec'd a yellow flag)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT