ADVERTISEMENT

safety question

Dec 9, 2012
Is there a penalty for a defenseless receiver and if so is undercutting a receiver considered a penalty in this case I know it can cause for scary situations as one happened last night in the game?

Originally posted by cpaluch0809:
Is there a penalty for a defenseless receiver and if so is undercutting a receiver considered a penalty in this case I know it can cause for scary situations as one happened last night in the game?
Only with regard to illegal helmet contact.

But at what point is it safe for someone to be undercut I mean its just as dangerous as helment to helment contact

Not sure it's ever completely safe to undercut, but football is not completely safe. A player who has the ball is the guy who the defense wants to tackle. As long as they don't take a cheap shot at the helmet, a tackle is a tackle.

This incident happened as a player was trying to go up for a reception.the receiver was completely defenseless.

If I read your statements correctly (and maybe I don't):

a. the hit was LOW.

b. it could have been pass interference, if the receiver had not touched the ball yet. You don't say if this was the case.

c. there is no such definition of a defenseless player in NFHS rules, however we still go by the intent of the rule, which is to eliminate HIGH hits that can cause head and neck injuries.

d. Football players get hit in their legs all the time. Other than blocking below the waist, there is nothing to prevent a player from going low, especially on a ball carrier. In fact, given the desire to keep the hits below the shoulders, it's encouraged. We don't stand for cheap shots at the knees, but that's against guys who have no reason to think a hit at the knees is coming. Ball carriers have all the reason in the world to think someone is coming for their legs. I cannot think of a way a defender could deliver a shot that's both low and cheap to a guy he thinks has the ball.

e. no one wants football where the defense must stand still and allow a player to catch the ball and come down before they attempt to make a tackle/break up a pass/play defense.

f. You say the receiver went up. I'm picturing a play where his feet are well off the ground an his cleats are not anchored into the field. The defense has no obligation to change the level of the hit because the receiver went up. I could see the risk of an injury is higher if the feet are planted, but up in the air he'll just flip over with impact.

If I've misunderstood anything, please elaborate.

Receiver goes up to catch ball the ball sails over head. Receiver has no feet planted defender comes under receiver. Receiver has nothing but to land onhis neck or back no matter what he does that is what I'm trying to question there wasn't helmet to helmet contact or pass interference as the defender was on time with hit.

Originally posted by cpaluch0809:
Receiver goes up to catch ball the ball sails over head. Receiver has no feet planted defender comes under receiver. Receiver has nothing but to land onhis neck or back no matter what he does that is what I'm trying to question there wasn't helmet to helmet contact or pass interference as the defender was on time with hit.
I don;t know anyone other way to tell that this is not illegal. Football is a dangerous game. Risks are inherent to the game. Players can and will get hurt on both legal and illegal plays. There's nothing illegal about what you describe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT