ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 31 Tusky 21 Salem in Victory Formation

Embarrassing first half coaching job. Running a fullback dive on 4th and 4 against a loaded box, to a FB on one leg is one of the worst calls that I have ever seen in my entire life.

They also were unable to adjust on trips zone coverage concepts for the entire half. They gave up a touchdown on 4th and 14 with no deep defender to the trips side (and no blitz either) and were lucky that Tuscarora dropped a bunch of passes. Also, for the love of God, on 3rd and 4th and 10+ put in ANYBODY that can rush the passer. Standing at the LOS and watching, but still not being able to actually contain the QB when he scrambles is just a massive waste.

Their entire offense before their last drive was because Peyton Lewis is way faster than everyone on Tuscy on pitch plays. Also missed basically an extra point length FG on the last play of the first half.

If they were playing a better team (personnel-wise, Tuscy has great coaches) they would be down by 3+ scores at halftime. Hopefully they wake up in the second half.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilroy25
14-7 Salem

Peyton Lewis with an 82-yard TD run out of the wildcat to start the second half.

28-14 Salem

Peyton Lewis runs for his fourth TD of the game.

Offensive line has been significantly better in the second half. Had a few nice FB runs before this but unfortunately it looked liked Jones further injured his bad ankle and went out of the game.

Peyton Lewis makes a ridiculous toe-tap INT to end the Tuscarora drive and that should be the game.

Congrats Salem. Peyton Lewis and Oline just wore Tuscarora down. Tuscarora had their chances. A lot of penalties and mistakes (dropped balls and bad snaps) by Tuscarora, they could have easily made this game go down to the wire. These teams were much more evenly matched than I thought. Salem's discipline was the difference. Tuscarora keep your heads up, played well.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Salem - 31 Tuscarora - 21 FINAL

Hats off to this Tuscarora team and coaching staff. Amazing and guttatet performance by their Senior QB and Junior WR Pough. I am amazed by the quality of this coaching staff as well... I have never seen a high school team be able to run that many formations, plays and concepts and execute them well.

As for Salem, they were fortunate to win this game but they did play better in the second half, especially the OL. The real story of this game was Peyton Lewis' performance on both sides of the ball. He absolutely put the team on his back today in what might have been the best individual performance in Salem history.

Probably the best game I’ve seen all year. Tusky was a really good football team that the Spartans beat. Congratulations Salem fans.

Reactions: wolverinedad2018
Congrats to the Salem players and coaches on another state championship game appearance. This is very well-deserved.

Play calling, play calling, play calling!! OC has to do a better job at play calling.

Congrats to the Salem players and coaches on another state championship game appearance. This is very well-deserved.
What happened at end of half? Did we have timeouts we didn't use after catching long pass down to 4 yard line. Looked like we botched clock management.

Embarrassing first half coaching job. Running a fullback dive on 4th and 4 against a loaded box, to a FB on one leg is one of the worst calls that I have ever seen in my entire life.

They also were unable to adjust on basic trips zone coverage concepts for the entire half. They gave up a touchdown on 4th and 14 with no deep defender to the trips side (and no blitz either) and were lucky that Tuscarora dropped a bunch of passes. Also, for the love of God, on 3rd and 4th and 10+ put in ANYBODY that can rush the passer. Standing at the LOS and watching, but still not being able to actually contain the QB when he scrambles is just a massive waste.

Their entire offense before their last drive was because Peyton Lewis is way faster than everyone on Tuscy on pitch plays. Also missed basically an extra point length FG on the last play of the first half.

If they were playing a better team (personnel-wise, Tuscy has great coaches) they would be down by 3+ scores at halftime. Hopefully they wake up in the second half.
Go take a nap.

I guess you have no more questions concerning Lewis??????
Bud, I’ve said as much in previous posts lately!! Lewis has been and is playing like a grown man!! I still stand by what I said after the LCA game!! At that time!! Lewis is playing at a much higher level now!! And I acknowledge!!

Reactions: rainman17
What happened at end of half? Did we have timeouts we didn't use after catching long pass down to 4 yard line. Looked like we botched clock management.
Yes but Salem had a first down with the clock stopped, thought they could snap it with 8 seconds left, spike it, then have another play with TO after if needed but the officials made them wait on the snap and wound the clock before they allowed them to start the play. Instead of 8 they were left with 4 which wasn't guaranteed enough time to run another offensive play before potentially using the TO, so they opted for the FG instead.

This wasn't a coaching mistake, in my opinion, if not for the error it would have been the optimal clock and TO usage.

Yes but Salem had a first down with the clock stopped, thought they could snap it with 8 seconds left, spike it, then have another play with TO after if needed but the officials made them wait on the snap and wound the clock before they allowed them to start the play. Instead of 8 they were left with 4 which wasn't guaranteed enough time to run another offensive play before potentially using the TO, so they opted for the FG instead.

This wasn't a coaching mistake, in my opinion, if not for the error it would have been the optimal clock and TO usage.
But isn't it all settled by calling an immediate timeout. Why keep them in your pocket? Why not run down sideline and call timeout as soon as he was tackled?

Congratulations to the Huskies on a great season. That was a great team. Thats a great program they have there in Leesburg. Nice folks as well

Reactions: smcguiney
But isn't it all settled by calling an immediate timeout. Why keep them in your pocket? Why not run down sideline and call timeout as soon as he was tackled?
Because, you dolt, you can spike it, run it up the middle for a TD. If you don't get the TD you call TO and kick the FG.

The coaches did the right thing in the situation. The refs completely screwed the pooch!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT