ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 35 Amherst 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Thought Amherst had good game plan---try to run and control clock. They played hard and did a fairly good job against Salem run game---Amherst really sold out against the run with eight and nine in the box. Salem passed for three touchdowns. Did not think Salem played particularly well---could have been taking Amherst a little too lightly or the week lay off--or Amherst game plan taking them off rhythm--but in the end Salem just had too many weapons and the game was never in doubt. Good Effort by the Lancers

Last edited:
Thought Amherst had good game plan---try to run and control clock. They played hard and did a fairly good job against Salem run game---Amherst really sold out against the run with eight and nine in the box. Salem passed for three touchdowns. Did not think Salem played particularly well---could have been taking Amherst a little too lightly or the week lay off--or Amherst game plan taking them off rhythm--but in the end Salem just had too many weapons and the game was never in doubt. Good Effort by the Lancers
My opinion is that I agree with you about Salem not playing well. Does it make sense since Amherst lost 35 to 7, yes. I think if Amherst starting QB were playing it would have been a lot closer. He has had some great games this year and pulled Amherst out in the 4th against good teams. During this season I have said it would be Lake Taylor and Salem in finals but might have changed my mind. Salem will definitely need to play better to beat Champe especially on the road. Enjoyed the game and the band was awesome, loved the theme. It is nice to hear patriotic music with American flags

Reactions: mike salem
My opinion is that I agree with you about Salem not playing well. Does it make sense since Amherst lost 35 to 7, yes. I think if Amherst starting QB were playing it would have been a lot closer. He has had some great games this year and pulled Amherst out in the 4th against good teams. During this season I have said it would be Lake Taylor and Salem in finals but might have changed my mind. Salem will definitely need to play better to beat Champe especially on the road. Enjoyed the game and the band was awesome, loved the theme. It is nice to hear patriotic music with American flags
Salem will definitely have to play better, can't turn the ball over 3x and win against Champe on the road.

Very happy the game went the way it did, will put them solidly in the underdog role coming up and give the coaches an easy sell this whole week because despite having a running clock in a playoff game this will be seen as a bad win.

Very happy the game went the way it did, will put them solidly in the underdog role coming up and give the coaches an easy sell this whole week because despite having a running clock in a playoff game this will be seen as a bad win.
They are playing an 11-0 team on the road 3&1/2 hrs from home. The way they played tonight, as you said easy sell for the coaches. 3 turnovers and not taking advantage of opponents 2 will not fly next week.

Salem is a young football team. Hard to get them to focus against a team that the kids know they handled easily earlier in the year no matter how much the coaches warn them.. I think the layoff also had a little to do with the mistakes that we saw. Good news is that the game was never in doubt and it was 35 0 before Amherst scored. One thing that I noticed that is that after half time they scored in three plays held Amherst to three and out and then scored again in one play. Obviously the kids knew that they could turn it on when they needed.Also Amherst had good game plan against run===nine in the box---however Salem can throw the ball---three touchdown passes. Mags did say they were flat. Nice to win playoff game 35=0 when your coach says the team was flat.

Salem is a young football team. Hard to get them to focus against a team that the kids know they handled easily earlier in the year no matter how much the coaches warn them.. I think the layoff also had a little to do with the mistakes that we saw. Good news is that the game was never in doubt and it was 35 0 before Amherst scored. One thing that I noticed that is that after half time they scored in three plays held Amherst to three and out and then scored again in one play. Obviously the kids knew that they could turn it on when they needed.Also Amherst had good game plan against run===nine in the box---however Salem can throw the ball---three touchdown passes. Mags did say they were flat. Nice to win playoff game 35=0 when your coach says the team was flat.
Amherst could not defend the pass at all

Beckley spread the ball around, too. I think 5 or 6 guys caught passes. As much as I didn't like what I saw from the ground game the air attack filled in nicely.

Beckley spread the ball around, too. I think 5 or 6 guys caught passes. As much as I didn't like what I saw from the ground game the air attack filled in nicely.
Yeah I think it was Tucker, Wade, Quinn, Pinello, and Fox that got receptions last night. Will have to spread it around, can't just throw it to Tucker everytime.

I want to know where all those vaunted Lancer fans were last night. You guys brought, maybe, 250 and that's being generous.
As for the game summary, yeah we played a little sloppy in the first half. Credit where credit is due. Your front four are probably the best we've faced. Our LBs got caught looking into the backfield and were out of position several time in the first half. Amherst, essentially runs a single wing. We don't see that O all year. Once we made adjustments ( come to Jesus meeting ) at the half we pretty much shut it down. Amherst's only score was penalty aided. Defensively you chose your poison. Stop the run.
GO SALEM
GO MULES

I want to know where all those vaunted Lancer fans were last night. You guys brought, maybe, 250 and that's being generous.
As for the game summary, yeah we played a little sloppy in the first half. Credit where credit is due. Your front four are probably the best we've faced. Our LBs got caught looking into the backfield and were out of position several time in the first half. Amherst, essentially runs a single wing. We don't see that O all year. Once we made adjustments ( come to Jesus meeting ) at the half we pretty much shut it down. Amherst's only score was penalty aided. Defensively you chose your poison. Stop the run.
GO SALEM
GO MULES
Oh come on now Mule you know Amherst fills up every stadium that they play in to capacity.lol

Nobody goes to games anymore. I know lots of people myself included who won't go to another game until they make a coaching change. Up until 2 years ago I hadn't missed a game since 1991

Reactions: MrSir#5
GO SALEM
GO MULES
Why so nasty? I knew we would no where fill the stands last night and stated that this week. The crowd has not been as good the last couple of years. To be honest even the Salem side had plenty of empty seats and your team is undefeated. Enjoy your win last night because you might and I said might meet Lake Taylor again but I doubt it

GO SALEM
GO MULES
Come on Lee take it easy on the attendance, neither side had as many fans as the good old days. It was pretty cold and windy, these teams had already played with Salem winning 45-12, & Amherst was 7-4. Not much incentive for a lot of Amherst fans to make the hour and a half or so drive. Salem didn't fill up the joint either. Maybe some went to the Glenvar-Giles game?Honestly the attendance at playoff games the last couple of years has been disappointing with the exception of GW last year.

Nobody goes to games anymore. I know lots of people myself included who won't go to another game until they make a coaching change. Up until 2 years ago I hadn't missed a game since 1991
So you don't show support because you don't agree with everything the coach does? I think any team would want the support of their true loyal fans. If I'm not mistaken Amherst was 3-7 last year and 7-5 with a playoff win this year good turn around in my opinion. 4 losses to teams that are a combine 34-0. Everyone wants Miami to get back to their glory days and they are not going to make a run like that again, Amherst was blessed to have a run of athletes and competed for 4 consecutive titles. Every year is not going to be like that, I don't care who you are!

Apparently there are many disgruntled Amherst fans who want change and will not go to games because they don't have the coach that they want. That is their lose. They are only hurting the community of Amherst and the kids that work hard to get where they did this year. I feel that the Amherst coaching staff did a fine job and the kids played well "in spite" of all the negativity that they have been subject to in recent years.

Reactions: Cats and Dogs
I wonder did those same fans go to games in 95 when they won it and then after 96 stop until 2006?

I just know that I am sick of people that complain about the coach. I think he did a fine job this year and the negativity hurts. Most of the people that complain don't know if a football is pumped or stuffed. That don't know how much sweat and effort goes into it everyday at practice and games. One must give 110% all of the time. Not some of the time but all of the time. When people start mouthing bad things it just gives the kids an excuse to not give that effort and blame it on the coach.

Come on Lee take it easy on the attendance, neither side had as many fans as the good old days. It was pretty cold and windy, these teams had already played with Salem winning 45-12, & Amherst was 7-4. Not much incentive for a lot of Amherst fans to make the hour and a half or so drive. Salem didn't fill up the joint either. Maybe some went to the Glenvar-Giles game?Honestly the attendance at playoff games the last couple of years has been disappointing with the exception of GW last year.
So true Mike. Attendance has been down at many games this year. I talked with a few Amherst fans and they just didn't want to make the trip because of team having injuries and had already lost to Salem. I would bet a lot if both teams had the record and playoff contentions as before that the stands would have been packed. We actually had more fans at Pulaski last week than at Salem. I was surprised at how many empty seats on the Salem side as well. If some of your fans remembers they did not bring that many fans this year to Amherst either. You are classy Mike and I respect your post. My other post was just agreeing what a Salem poster said. I only said that the game would have been closer if our QB had played then I get a smart response back

Amherst's 4 in-state losses came to teams a combined 34-0. Appomattox is having a once in a generation season, JF is better than they've been in a long time and they just so happened to add Salem to the schedule this year and had the misfortune of seeing them twice. Any other year and this Amherst team is beating Appomatox and a different OOC team and headed into the playoffs at 8-2 or 9-1.

This isn't remotely as bad of a season as the record might indicate.

So true Mike. Attendance has been down at many games this year. I talked with a few Amherst fans and they just didn't want to make the trip because of team having injuries and had already lost to Salem. I would bet a lot if both teams had the record and playoff contentions as before that the stands would have been packed. We actually had more fans at Pulaski last week than at Salem. I was surprised at how many empty seats on the Salem side as well. If some of your fans remembers they did not bring that many fans this year to Amherst either. You are classy Mike and I respect your post. My other post was just agreeing what a Salem poster said. I only said that the game would have been closer if our QB had played then I get a smart response back

I was shocked you guys didn't even sell out the opener against Salem.

Reactions: wikki
So you don't show support because you don't agree with everything the coach does? I think any team would want the support of their true loyal fans. If I'm not mistaken Amherst was 3-7 last year and 7-5 with a playoff win this year good turn around in my opinion. 4 losses to teams that are a combine 34-0. Everyone wants Miami to get back to their glory days and they are not going to make a run like that again, Amherst was blessed to have a run of athletes and competed for 4 consecutive titles. Every year is not going to be like that, I don't care who you are!
They
Amherst's 4 in-state losses came to teams a combined 34-0. Appomattox is having a once in a generation season, JF is better than they've been in a long time and they just so happened to add Salem to the schedule this year and had the misfortune of seeing them twice. Any other year and this Amherst team is beating Appomatox and a different OOC team and headed into the playoffs at 8-2 or 9-1.

Amherst had a great year this year. The best group of young men I have seen in a long time for an Amherst football team. They fought together through every game and called themselves brotherhood. They need to be proud regardless of the few fans that didn't support this year.

I was shocked you guys didn't even sell out the opener against Salem.
We also get lots of key players back next year

Why so nasty? I knew we would no where fill the stands last night and stated that this week. The crowd has not been as good the last couple of years. To be honest even the Salem side had plenty of empty seats and your team is undefeated. Enjoy your win last night because you might and I said might meet Lake Taylor again but I doubt it
Nasty? Just stating a fact. Our folks didn't 't pack our side as they should have either. I stated that fact on our fan site. Very disappointed. By the way, spare me the sideways good luck gestures. They sound "nasty"!
GO SALEM
GO MULES

Nasty? Just stating a fact. Our folks didn't 't pack our side as they should have either. I stated that fact on our fan site. Very disappointed. By the way, spare me the sideways good luck gestures. They sound "nasty"!
GO SALEM
GO MULES
Don't worry you want get it. Like i said all I did was agree with a Salem poster, why did it have to go into where was all the fans from Amherst in a sarcastic way. I didn't go into a rant about how many times each year you have to hear about Salems history, how many rings they have and how much the 50/50 was. I was actually hoping that Salem make it to the State game but not sure if they will make it

Last edited:
Talent pool is still there. Great athletes will always be in amherst. To alll the old Amherst fans. What was amherst football know for since the early 90s. Smash mouth football. Yall remember want some get some from Crouchs era. I think a lot of people are upset because the toughness and hard nose football is gone in amherst. When sales legendary coach retired Salem hired from within a system that is known to work. Amherst on the other hand went in the opposite direction. I would be all for keeping the coach if he played, line up smack you in the mouth football. Not to many people are intimidated by 3 twirls, 6 fakes and a jet sweep every other down.

Reactions: salemfan32
Don't worry you want get it. Like i said all I did was agree with a Salem poster, why did it have to go into where was all the fans from Amherst in a sarcastic way. I didn't go into a rant about how many times each year you have to hear about Salems history, how many rings they have and how much the 50/50 was. I was actually hoping that Salem make it to the State game but not sure if they will make it
Have a great day dear!
GO SALEM
GO MULES

Talent pool is still there. Great athletes will always be in amherst. To alll the old Amherst fans. What was amherst football know for since the early 90s. Smash mouth football. Yall remember want some get some from Crouchs era. I think a lot of people are upset because the toughness and hard nose football is gone in amherst. When sales legendary coach retired Salem hired from within a system that is known to work. Amherst on the other hand went in the opposite direction. I would be all for keeping the coach if he played, line up smack you in the mouth football. Not to many people are intimidated by 3 twirls, 6 fakes and a jet sweep every other down.

To each their own but ask Giles and Staunton River opponents how smash mouth that offense is as those three are similar. If I recall Amherst beat Brookville with some smash mouth and some passing, their rb set a single game rushing record against JF. Hate the coach or whatever but I think their offense is not a lot of things but smash mouth isn't one of them.

Why so nasty? I knew we would no where fill the stands last night and stated that this week. The crowd has not been as good the last couple of years. To be honest even the Salem side had plenty of empty seats and your team is undefeated. it

Question/Statement about attendance situation in general.... I attended AHS vs. Northside Friday night. Abingdon had as many or more fans than Northside. Went to 4A finals last year and sat on the LT side because there were MANY open seats while Salem side was mostly full.

I get it that smaller town teams don't have as many options and therefore might have better attended games. Certainly, the 70's and 80's had better overall attendance because high school football was THE social event of the week. In far Southwest Virginia, it still has much of the same prominence of earlier periods.....even teams that aren't having good years, still draw well. I know, I know....we don't exactly have a ton of other entertainment options.....but it is still a great event :)

I guess I'm still not used to seeing solid programs like Northside, LT and I'm sure others not fill the stands. I guess old habits die hard and I'm still stuck in a different time :)

To me, nothing beats being at a game in person. And one last disclaimer......I love social media for Friday nights.....allows me to attend a game of my choice and keep up with the rest of the games being played that night.

Good luck to Salem and the rest of the teams still playing. Congratulations to the Lancers...you all had a good season and played a strong schedule.

I guess I'm still not used to seeing solid programs like Northside, LT and I'm sure others not fill the stands. I guess old habits die hard and I'm still stuck in a different time :)

I think those times have really passed. I know at LT our fan base is very fair weathered and really don't come out. It's sad when you have teams that bring more fans to your home game, but I've become used to it.
We had a lot of fans out for the Stone Bridge game because Charlottesville wasn't that long of a ride and it was the first state championship appearance for a Norfolk school. Fast forward to the Salem game and its in Lynchburg and people are like I'm not driving way out there, and they haven't heard of Salem..So many times that week I had to explain to people we weren't playing Salem-VB. Smh

I think those times have really passed. I know at LT our fan base is very fair weathered and really don't come out. It's sad when you have teams that bring more fans to your home game, but I've become used to it.
We had a lot of fans out for the Stone Bridge game because Charlottesville wasn't that long of a ride and it was the first state championship appearance for a Norfolk school. Fast forward to the Salem game and its in Lynchburg and people are like I'm not driving way out there, and they haven't heard of Salem..So many times that week I had to explain to people we weren't playing Salem-VB. Smh

The fans you all did have in Lynchburg were supportive/good fans. I can say this....LT was and is a very impressive team. Well coached, good tradition and very good players.... truly a fun team to watch.

The fans you all did have in Lynchburg were supportive/good fans. I can say this....LT was and is a very impressive team. Well coached, good tradition and very good players.... truly a fun team to watch.
We have a core group of fans that are die hard and are very supportive and local the problem is it is only about 100-150 people. But they root hard for LT and we appreciate it!!

Reactions: EHC87
I don't expect a state championship every year or at all. I expect you to win the games you have the talent to win. 3-7 last year. 3-8 the year before. Way more talent than that. The current talent will be wasted. They are not hard nosed anymore. Haven't been in years that reflects the coach. They get out hit even in games they win. As far as not supporting. You have to do something to get the attention and make a change. And they will pay attention when they bring I hardly any money.

When they were 3-8 two years ago they had talent to win 7-8 games and maybe a playoff game or two. Last year 3-7. Had talent to win 6 games.

I don't expect a state championship every year or at all. I expect you to win the games you have the talent to win. 3-7 last year. 3-8 the year before. Way more talent than that. The current talent will be wasted. They are not hard nosed anymore. Haven't been in years that reflects the coach. They get out hit even in games they win. As far as not supporting. You have to do something to get the attention and make a change. And they will pay attention when they bring I hardly any money.
I was on the 2004 team that won in the second round at Amherst. After that game and after the season we always talked about how that was by far the best team we played all season. Most physical team and had a ton of skill position talent. That rivalry ended up continuing the next few years but watching them a couple of weeks ago against Salem, sure they were not as talented but they simply were not the physical group they used to be.

Reactions: MrSir#5 and wikki
I thought Amherst had a solid season, as someone else posted they lost to Appomattox, Salem 2x, Jefferson forest - all 3 teams playing in state semi-finals. They also didn't quit against a 9-1 Pulaski team when they were down with seconds to go (some might say that could be a reflection of their coach).

Amherst had a great season and have a lot to be proud of. Those young men played with heart and never gave up and two examples of that were Brookville and Pulaski. They rallied around each other and the coaching staff. I find it hard to believe that teachers won't let their kids play for the coach because afterall it is a kids decision whether or not they want to play a sport. If a parent tells a kid they can't play a sport and the kid really wants to play then shame on them. Coach Phillips took them to two state championship games his first two seasons and I don't care how good the talent was, it takes a good coach to lead them that far. The Amherst 4 year run at the state championship was just one loaded class. All high school sports teams go through cycles of talent and sometimes it just drops off but it will come back around again. This years teams wasn't the most talented compared to other years but from what I saw in the few games I saw they had the most heart and it showed with the results and you could see that when they returned from Florida they were a different team. The negativity you display on a message board just takes away from what these kids and the coaching staff accomplished this season so shame on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT