ADVERTISEMENT

Salem/Magna Vista Benefit Game

yeah it is a lot of the same sentiments rehashed year after year but it doesn't quite resonate anymore, yes you've perennially been good congratulations for having a strong program but don't make quips or excuses for when you dont win it all or slight those kids who were on that team or an opposing one
Those two Salem teams weren't "bad teams". Both of them ran into injury problems. However, while not being bad, they still don't compare to even an average Salem team. If the stats involved were just 10 or even 15 years you guys might have an argument. But Salem has averaged 10 wins for 40 years. They have done that against all the highs and lows other schools have gone through. An average Salem team wins 10. A good Salem team wins 11 or 12. A great Salem team wins 13,14, or 15

Those two Salem teams weren't "bad teams". Both of them ran into injury problems. However, while not being bad, they still don't compare to even an average Salem team. If the stats involved were just 10 or even 15 years you guys might have an argument. But Salem has averaged 10 wins for 40 years. They have done that against all the highs and lows other schools have gone through. An average Salem team wins 10. A good Salem team wins 11 or 12. A great Salem team wins 13,14, or 15
Salem has been a consistently good/great AA/4A team throughout their existence. Willis White built a program with foundational principles and Magenbauer and now Holter have continued the tradition.

Saw where things aren’t looking too good for the future of the Warrior program. Their middle school team (Laurel Park) used to be second to GW’s team in the area as far as participation and talent goes. They’ve been struggling to get a stable coach, field a competitive team, and even get equipment. Coach Favero is actually running the middle school practices now just to keep the middle school program afloat. Really sad times in eastern Henry County.

Saw where things aren’t looking too good for the future of the Warrior program. Their middle school team (Laurel Park) used to be second to GW’s team in the area as far as participation and talent goes. They’ve been struggling to get a stable coach, field a competitive team, and even get equipment. Coach Favero is actually running the middle school practices now just to keep the middle school program afloat. Really sad times in eastern Henry County.
Sorry to hear this. Doesn't look like anyone in that area can challenge GW

Sorry to hear this. Doesn't look like anyone in that area can challenge GW
GW is on the right track and will always be top dog in Southside. Best numbers in Danville in over a decade and they are very young. Bassett will be a state contender this fall in Class 3 and I think they win the district this year. Mecklenburg has a long ways to go (very undisciplined after seeing them in person) but I think they’ll have some very good teams in the future. Halifax always 2-4 more athletes than GW.. They just won’t stop scheduling little league teams and can’t stop beating themselves.

The new AD at GW (Coach Mancino Craighead) along with Coach Anderson have done some great things these past 3-4 months. I’ll be the first to critique backwards thinking but GW is moving forward. They are a year or two away from taking that next step and winning the region and competing at the state level. Still a lot of work to do, but they are on the right track.

We will see tonight at 6:00 in Martinsvillle what things will look like in a year or two.............

We will see tonight at 6:00 in Martinsvillle what things will look like in a year or two.............
Can’t always judge things off of JV. Dinwiddie is one of the best programs in the state and GW and Salem spanked them up real good in JV games. Hasn’t happened that way in varsity. JV games are for developing younger kids. GW’s varsity team is full of sophomores and guys who would normally play JV if the team was junior and senior heavy. I would put my money that Salem has no trouble with GW’s JV.

Probably more people at the GW-Salem jv game than at Martinsville's first home game. We don't play at home till September 16.

That’s not shortchanging the GW JV program. They beat Heritage up real good and have some playmakers. Salem is full of seasoned upperclassman so their better younger guys are still playing JV ball.

@hrsepasture1 GW’s boys are playing at the complex. Dawgs will make some noise this year. They’ll beat Patrick, MV, Tunstall, and possibly Halifax.

We were told it was going to be at the high school. I live about a mile from the complex so I might go check it out. What time??

I was far wrong @MaroonDude. I shouldn’t have shortchange the Danville boys.
I have no idea who's playing tonight, but during practice some of the better JV guys were with Vars all week.

#5 S Bryson Fraction
#17 Cohen Logan
#22 Josiah Persinger
#34 LB Dontay Davis
#55 C Jackson Bryie* I know he's starting for Vars
#67 Dorian Vance
#70 Marvin Fields

Last edited:
20-20 tie game, final. Out of ignorance I spoke. I heard GW had a few guys who did not play either tonight and will be playing tomorrow at Dinwiddie. Great game and both teams got better. Hope it’s true that GW and Salem will play during the regular season. It’s good for both areas.

Reactions: mike salem
20-20 tie game, final. Out of ignorance I spoke. I heard GW had a few guys who did not play either tonight and will be playing tomorrow at Dinwiddie. Great game and both teams got better. Hope it’s true that GW and Salem will play during the regular season. It’s good for both areas.
I don't think they should play in the regular season since they will more likely than not play in the playoffs.

Social media says 20-20. Salem was home Jerseys on Away side vs GW in away Jersey on home side at Martinsville High.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT