ADVERTISEMENT

Salem. Pulaski. at Pulaski. Thoughts?

PC is not and has not been battle tested at all this year just as they were not battle tested last year entering into this game and of course no secret what happened in that one. The one game they were tested this year by a quality team (PH) they lost and then the terrible loss to Blacksburg. I am not sure if anyone "really knows" what PC is made of and what kind of team they really are. It is hard to gauge the true quality of a team when all but (2) teams on your schedule have a winning percentage below .500 IMO. I just hope that IF PC does not pull it off and do not come out with the win that James does not throw out the lame excuse of the kids being overwhelmed by the moment as was used last year by him and even the local paper. That to me was a insult to the program (past and present) because PC has played in many many big games and NEVER was overcome by the so called moment or crowd. He (James) may have been overcome by the moment but not the players.. Good to luck to both teams and leave all on the field..

PC is not and has not been battle tested at all this year just as they were not battle tested last year entering into this game and of course no secret what happened in that one. The one game they were tested this year by a quality team (PH) they lost and then the terrible loss to Blacksburg. I am not sure if anyone "really knows" what PC is made of and what kind of team they really are. It is hard to gauge the true quality of a team when all but (2) teams on your schedule have a winning percentage below .500 IMO. I just hope that IF PC does not pull it off and do not come out with the win that James does not throw out the lame excuse of the kids being overwhelmed by the moment as was used last year by him and even the local paper. That to me was a insult to the program (past and present) because PC has played in many many big games and NEVER was overcome by the so called moment or crowd. He (James) may have been overcome by the moment but not the players.. Good to luck to both teams and leave all on the field..

I agree with you on most of your points except for your last one about the kids being overcome by the moment. Yes Pulaski has played in many big games in their past but the group of kids that played at Salem last year had not and it showed on the field. Now Salem had a lot to do with it, the Spartans played well that night, but the PC kids were wide-eyed from the start.

I was just commenting to someone a few weeks ago that the game at Salem last year was won of the best HS games I had ever been to when you factor in the buildup, the crowds on both sides and the unseasonably warm weather. Salem plays in games like that and in front of crowds like that multiple times each season so it was just another game for them. It has been quite a while since Pulaski played a game of that magnitude in front of a crowd like that.

I hope to see another big crowd on both sides this Friday and hopefully a close, well fought game.

Another thing that has hurt PC has been the performance of the non-district teams but there really isn't much you can do about that. You can schedule your non-district games and hope that the teams you play do well enough as the season progresses to help you out but it just hasn't played out that way for PC the past couple of years.
Combine that with the fact that the River Ridge as a whole has been down lately and it does make you wonder how battle tested you really are heading into the playoffs.

I think Pulaski right now is a "good" football team/program. They are not a "Great" team/program. If you took all the 4A teams and placed them in 4 tiers I think Pulaski would be in the 3rd tier. As the program continues to put out winning seasons and the crowds come back, they may make their way back to that top tier. They do need to first make their schedule tougher, it's hard to get worked up to play the teams with below .500 records. I know a lot of people were excited to see them start to play Radford again but to me it was the beggining of the end. If your 4A school is competative with a 1A school you can forget making a deep playoff run. I admit there are exceptions but 90% of the time that statement is true. Same with a Giles scrimmage. I'm not knocking these programs but it doesn't bring the same excitement as a Varina or EC Glass, Salem and Culpepper on a state level. When Pulaski was at their height, they played a couple out of state power teams, had some very good teams attend the touchdown classic and this brought excitement to the program. I don't want to hear about the costs of travel, as many fans as they can pull to a big football game they can afford a 1 and 1 with a team from Charlotte or Richmond or DC. You have Greensboro, Highpoint, Beckley, Charleston. Play some tougher competition, get the crowds and community excited again and the players numbers will return along with the W's.
Good Counsel, Md. W 33-6
Amherst County
W 7-0
Salem
L 14-27
Anacostia, D.C.
W 19-12
Science Hill, Tenn.
W 38-13
H.D. Woodson, D.C.
W 41-6
Franklin County
W 49-14
William Fleming
W 41-12
Patrick Henry
W 28-0
Cave Spring
W 38-0
# Stonewall Jackson
W 20-17 OT
# Brooke Point
L 14-42

Reactions: Amgis
I think Pulaski right now is a "good" football team/program. They are not a "Great" team/program. If you took all the 4A teams and placed them in 4 tiers I think Pulaski would be in the 3rd tier. As the program continues to put out winning seasons and the crowds come back, they may make their way back to that top tier. They do need to first make their schedule tougher, it's hard to get worked up to play the teams with below .500 records. I know a lot of people were excited to see them start to play Radford again but to me it was the beggining of the end. If your 4A school is competative with a 1A school you can forget making a deep playoff run. I admit there are exceptions but 90% of the time that statement is true. Same with a Giles scrimmage. I'm not knocking these programs but it doesn't bring the same excitement as a Varina or EC Glass, Salem and Culpepper on a state level. When Pulaski was at their height, they played a couple out of state power teams, had some very good teams attend the touchdown classic and this brought excitement to the program. I don't want to hear about the costs of travel, as many fans as they can pull to a big football game they can afford a 1 and 1 with a team from Charlotte or Richmond or DC. You have Greensboro, Highpoint, Beckley, Charleston. Play some tougher competition, get the crowds and community excited again and the players numbers will return along with the W's.
Good Counsel, Md. W 33-6
Amherst County
W 7-0
Salem
L 14-27
Anacostia, D.C.
W 19-12
Science Hill, Tenn.
W 38-13
H.D. Woodson, D.C.
W 41-6
Franklin County
W 49-14
William Fleming
W 41-12
Patrick Henry
W 28-0
Cave Spring
W 38-0
# Stonewall Jackson
W 20-17 OT
# Brooke Point
L 14-42
The chicken or the egg? I agree with the premise that a tougher schedule is needed for playoff prep. In my opinion, that is the reason that the West has been strong of late in classifications 1-3. Former upper class schools like PH, FC, Pulaski, etc. are providing good competition to lower classification schools that pays dividends come playoff time. The converse is true in the upper classes(5-6) and to a lesser extent in class 4 for the West. Western teams have been no threat in 5 and 6 and with the exception of Salem not a significant threat in 4. They do not see enough true playoff level competition during the season to prepare them and none of their programs, again with the exception of Salem, have the numbers or stability, to adjust to another level come playoff time. Back to Pulaski, I think you have to walk before you run. Just playing higher level comp is not going to grow the numbers or raise community excitement. You have to win with regularity and decisively over area teams(even lower classifications, if necessary) and then the as the numbers improve you gradually upgrade competition. Upgrading competition and being unprepared for the step up in class MIGHT help numbers and commitment but, more often than not it has the opposite effect and kills enthusiasm and numbers before the program can get back out of the gate.

Ramsey will not play tonight. He is no longer on the Salem team and is no longer in the Salem school system. I'm guessing Kionte Burnette will get the bulk of the carries at tailback for the Spartans.

Ramsey will not play tonight. He is no longer on the Salem team and is no longer in the Salem school system. I'm guessing Kionte Burnette will get the bulk of the carries at tailback for the Spartans.
Will be a completely different game without Ramsey, a beast of a player. Hope things work out for him.

Whoa, that is big news. Hope he gets everything straightened out and is able to get his diploma somewhere.

That changes the outlook of the football team pretty drastically going into the playoffs.

Good Counsel, Md. W 33-6
Amherst County
W 7-0
Salem
L 14-27
Anacostia, D.C.
W 19-12
Science Hill, Tenn.
W 38-13
H.D. Woodson, D.C.
W 41-6
Franklin County
W 49-14
William Fleming
W 41-12
Patrick Henry
W 28-0
Cave Spring
W 38-0
# Stonewall Jackson
W 20-17 OT
# Brooke Point
L 14-42
Coach Turner out of district schedule during his time: Some combination of
EC GLASS/ JEFFERSON FOREST/ GW DANVILLE /Northside/ Wm. Fleming/ Amherst/ Patrick Henry/ Lord Boty / Franklin County ( Billy Miles as Coach).
Not a bad group.

Good Counsel, Md. W 33-6
Amherst County
W 7-0
Salem
L 14-27
Anacostia, D.C.
W 19-12
Science Hill, Tenn.
W 38-13
H.D. Woodson, D.C.
W 41-6
Franklin County
W 49-14
William Fleming
W 41-12
Patrick Henry
W 28-0
Cave Spring
W 38-0
# Stonewall Jackson
W 20-17 OT
# Brooke Point
L 14-42
Coach Turner out of district schedule during his time: Some combination of
EC GLASS/ JEFFERSON FOREST/ GW DANVILLE /Northside/ Wm. Fleming/ Amherst/ Patrick Henry/ Lord Boty / Franklin County ( Billy Miles as C

Went to a party but lied and told Mag he went to the dentist. Mag found out and suspended him for a game. I've also heard Mag received a picture of Ramsey smoking weed, but I really don't know if that part is true. Ramsey was convinced Luke Owens told Mag so he threatened to drown Luke in his blood. Owens woke up the next day with his car spray painted red. He also forced a kid to tell the administration Owens sold him drugs. This is all blew up in Ramsey's face and he was immediately kicked off the team. This isn't even the first time he's behaved like this--he was promoted to varsity basketball last year towards the end of the season and money was stolen from Salem players' bags the first game he was on the team. He denied it and there were no security cameras in the area so nothing happened. Obviously I have no evidence I can provide you with, so you can choose to not believe me; I really don't care.
Dude you ought to be ashamed to come on here and air a child's business out on here like that.

Reactions: mike salem
Might want to edit your post Danville, since his is gone.

Heard he missed Wednesday practice before Cave spring game and we all know Wednesday is the hard practice.Showed up Thursday and had words with Owen and may or not have become physical. Interesting enough Owen was occasionally on Ramsey's position vs Cave Spring.
Over the weekend he sendt threatening text messages to Owen and spray painted his car.
A few weeks before he was suspended first quarter vs Hidden valley therefore he was already given his second change after that IMO. From the gossip I hear it has nothing to do with drugs he's just not getting along with some players particularly Owen. Yes it's bad he's throwing away his talent but if the coach and AD let him stay on it would be a slap in the face to all the other boys who work hard at practice, on time, play by the rules on the off the field. Sometimes winning state is not as important as learning how to behave in society.

After cave spring win and Pulaski win the boys, coaches, crowd, and the coaches have learned that Salem is NOt a on dimensional team.

A drum offense is a two week suspension vandalism involves police.
Current players know all to well about the two weeks off. If you know so much you know who got the two weeks last year and my sources are well placed.

A drum offense is a two week suspension vandalism involves police.
Current players know all to well about the two weeks off. If you know so much you know who got the two weeks last year and my sources are well placed.

Details of an ongoing investigation involving a minor are never publicized.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT