ADVERTISEMENT

Salem starts with new coach

Who’s in the competition at QB?
Hunter Chaney & Jeffrey Phillips were the 2 I saw in 7 on 7 during the off-season. Hunter is a Jr and was the backup last year- played in part of the Dinwiddie game and the Northside game when Jack got hurt. (LB size with a cannon arm)

Jeffrey is a Soph, and played QB some on JV last year and he played at CB for a few games on Vars when Jayden McDonald was hurt. He was also the QB at ALMS. (Small but very mobile)

Hunter Chaney & Jeffrey Phillips were the 2 I saw in 7 on 7 during the off-season. Hunter is a Jr and was the backup last year- played in part of the Dinwiddie game and the Northside game when Jack got hurt. (LB size with a cannon arm)

Jeffrey is a Soph, and played QB some on JV last year and he played at CB for a few games on Vars when Jayden McDonald was hurt. He was also the QB at ALMS. (Small but very mobile)

Thanks Mike! Would love a run down position by position of your projected starting lineup if you get some time!

I think that quote by Pinello is very important: “We do a lot more running, working on explosiveness, footwork,” the two-way starter said. “We didn’t do a lot of that stuff when Coach Mag was around.”

This is a change that I think will make a huge difference moving forward. Salem has been very well coached from a gameplanning and assignment standpoint but I felt they were getting behind in some areas when it comes to the individual technical aspects, like footwork. There has already been a very noticeable from the young DBs that started last year for the team. It appears that they are being encouraged to attend more individual camps around the country which is not something I have seen many Salem players do historically. All of those guys are so much more technically sound (From looking at 7 on 7s) than they were a year ago.

I am also seeing the improvements from the WRs... a lot more attention on the smaller details that can turn a player from a good route runner to a great one. It will be also be interesting to see how this approach helps up front on both sides of the ball. Salem has been pretty fundamentally sound and taken decent steps up front for a long time (quite a bit better than most schools) but I don't think they have been as technically sound the last 10 years as they were between say 1995-2006.

I'm also 100% in favor of more running/agility and less repeated heavy lifts within the same week, especially squats.

Reactions: one man
I know it’s a ways out but I’m curious about thoughts on Salem and Martinsburg.

I don’t know much about either team with the exception of their historic reputations and Salem having a new coach.

I know many will say Martinsburg will take this one easily but I honestly don’t think they will be used to the grit that Salem brings to the field. I’ll be honest in saying that Salem has impressed me year in and year out in how they play well in big games. Until something changes in the water they drink down there I still see them playing this one closer than many will expect.

I don’t know much about either team with the exception of their historic reputations and Salem having a new coach.

I know many will say Martinsburg will take this one easily but I honestly don’t think they will be used to the grit that Salem brings to the field. I’ll be honest in saying that Salem has impressed me year in and year out in how they play well in big games. Until something changes in the water they drink down there I still see them playing this one closer than many will expect.
Salem will be the underdog this year, especially in that game. I understand with a new coach and having a 7-4 record last year that most people won't expect much out of them. I see a lot of potential with this team so I expect a good physical game.

Just curious, do you think either QB is a threat to run?, and i don't mean, well; they can run if they have to. I mean are they serious enough threat that defenses will have to keep a LB or DB as a spy against the QB? I believe most good teams are a lot harder to defend if they have a dual threat QB.

Just curious, do you think either QB is a threat to run?, and i don't mean, well; they can run if they have to. I mean are they serious enough threat that defenses will have to keep a LB or DB as a spy against the QB? I believe most good teams are a lot harder to defend if they have a dual threat QB.
Phillips is definitely a run threat, but he's a Soph and weighs 135 lbs. Of the 2 I've seen Chaney is the more likely starter. He was the backup last year as well. There may be another QB option that I'm not aware of. Practice starts Monday. I should know more early next week.

Reactions: redzone4us
Outside of Keith Gaines and to a lesser degree Noah Beckley Salem has almost never called designed running plays for their QBs. The philosophy is that you simply invest too much time and the position is too important to risk higher chances of injury. That is the same reason you will never see them playing on defense. I can’t imagine that changing moving forward but you never know.

Outside of Keith Gaines and to a lesser degree Noah Beckley Salem has almost never called designed running plays for their QBs. The philosophy is that you simply invest too much time and the position is too important to risk higher chances of injury. That is the same reason you will never see them playing on defense. I can’t imagine that changing moving forward but you never know.

And they barely did it for Noah (of course, the games he started were usually well over by half) and he could have had 1200-1500 yards rushing for another school in a different system. Noah was very often the fastest kid on the field and could wiggle too, just was never necessary because Salem was blessed those years with talent at virtually every spot of the offense.

Any new faces on the team?
3 that I know of transferred from Northside or Cave Spring. Also, there are 75 on the roster, but 81 showed up the first day. So there are some new guys. A few will probably drop out, as is usually the case.

Here are the kids that played last year, but don't appear to be playing this year unfortunately:

4 Reid (lacrosse)
5 Williams (hurt knee)
16 Vaught
21 Hudson (baseball)
24 Spitnale (baseball)
27 Edwards
40 Guthrie
60 Deboer (baseball)

For the kids with another sport listed, I don't mean to imply that is the reason they aren't playing football.

Thanks Mike! Would love a run down position by position of your projected starting lineup if you get some time!

Here is what I have so far. This is my opinion only and certainly not official. There is still major competition for spots.

LT 51 Martindale
LG 52 Torian
C 55 Haley
RG 54 Fairchilds
RT 74 Cosnotti
QB 5 Chaney
FB 31 Sutphin
TB 20 Persinger
TE 19 Pinello
WR 3 Ferris
WR 2 Collins

DT ??? Lot of candidates
NG 33 (sprained ankle)
DE 32 Waller
DE 3 Ferris
LB 31 Sutphin
LB 19 Pinello
LB 42 Wood
CB 6 Ja McDonald
CB 9 Jo McDonald
S 11 Logan
S 2 Collins

Reactions: Shsfan12
I’ll be glad to see Sutphin back out there. Salem was looking good against Blacksburg last year, until he suffered his season-ending injury in the third quarter. I thought the loss of Sutphin was one of several factors that contributed to a bit of a down year in 2018. Although, last year’s team had so many weaknesses, I don’t think they’d have gotten any further than the regional semis. Anway, I’m glad Sutphin will get a chance to close his career on a high note, after the way last season went for him.

Last edited:

I have kept an eye on Martinsburg for the betterpart of 8 yrs. They return many of their linemen from last yr and the tailback will be a Jr this yr. The QB has a strong arm and will run. The starting QB from last yr graduated. If my memory serves me right. Most of the defense graduated but I’m sure Martinsburg will reload. This game will come down to who can control the line of scrimmage. They don’t play until week 8 so we will know more by then.
Martinsburg would be a top team in Div 4. The best comparison is Sherando. They have played each other every year for awhile now. The last few have been 1 score games.

Reactions: VAtuffTurf
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT