ADVERTISEMENT

Scorebook question

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
at what point during "pre-game" can changes be made to roster in scorebook, without a penalty being issued, i.e. a technical foul. Is it before the head offical has checked and signed off on it ?

By rule, the roster must be submitted prior to the 10 minute mark, with names and numbers and starter marked. After 10:00, only a starter change due to injury can be made.

In reality, it doesn't always work like that. I've worked doubleheaders where 10:00 was put on the clock as soon as the first gmae ended.

There was a game recently where "the book" had a player listed as #2 about 2 minutes before player introductions. when player was introduced he was wearing a different number. Scorebook was changed prior to tip off to number he was wearing. Did any violation occur ?

As I wasn't there, I have no idea. Unless you know what number was on the roster that the coach supplied to the scorer, then we'll never know.

I had a home game and I had 11 players on the count. 11 in the book. One more showed up in the first quarter and came into the game. Tech. foul. Second quarter,the same thing. Another shows and the coach just looked at me and threw his hands up and laughed. When it comes to the score keepers and the coaches getting things in order, they will try a refs patience.

Originally posted by bowlingref:
I had a home game and I had 11 players on the count. 11 in the book. One more showed up in the first quarter and came into the game. Tech. foul. Second quarter,the same thing. Another shows and the coach just looked at me and threw his hands up and laughed. When it comes to the score keepers and the coaches getting things in order, they will try a refs patience.

Did you assess a T each time you added a player's name to the scorebook?

The number placed in scorebook prior to ref signing off on it was 34. when player was introduced, he was wearing a different number. Scorebook was changed after introductions to the number player was wearing.

I have always been under impression that once the official "signs book", no corrections/changes can be made, without a "T"

We called a technical when each player came in. One of my buddies questioned me about it and I went to the case book,10.1.2 @ half time.
When I got home, I went to the rule book and found it again under 3.2 article 2 and found we were wrong.
I talked with the coach the next week and he was not aware of the rule. I also have that team tomorrow in a playoff game.
This post was edited on 2/18 7:21 AM by bowlingref

Can you further explain the players "showing up"? Was this a high school game and the players were late getting to the gym? Sounds more like rec or an aau deal. Not that the penalty should be any different (well maybe for rec) but just wondered what level game you were describing.

It was the area home school association team. They play a j/v varsity schedule just like the regular high schools do.Most of the schoole they play are the privates. I guess the parents get the kids there and these two were late. I did not realize how big the home school sports was until we starting having the East Coast home School Association Tournament at Liberty University. Some great basketball. Time Tebow was a home schooler. Check out their web site.

http://www.hspn.net/events/eastcoasttourney2010.asp

Lot of areas the home schoolers are participating in their local school district, which is what I thought Tebow did in FL

They have their own deal here in Central Va. Their varsity games are a high level of j/v. They could not compete with the public schools. The big tournament the home schools have here is another story. Fantastic players. One team last year from Iowa had two players with Big Ten basketball scholarships.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
The number placed in scorebook prior to ref signing off on it was 34. when player was introduced, he was wearing a different number. Scorebook was changed after introductions to the number player was wearing.

I have always been under impression that once the official "signs book", no corrections/changes can be made, without a "T"

That would depend on whether the coach made the mistake or the scorer made the mistake.

The coach is required to provide the scorer with a roster of players' names and number. There are two different methods used:

#1- Some coaches write that roster in their own scorebook and share it with the opponent.

#2- Other coaches print their roster from a computer and provide it to the scorer.

If the coach makes a mistake in either situation, it would be a technical foul when the change is made.

BUT, if the coach provides the proper information but the scorer records the information wrong in the scorebook, that's a scorer's error and there is NO PENALTY. The coach fulfilled his responsibility of providing the scorer with a correct roster. Scorer's errors are not penalized. That sounds like what happened in the situatuon you describe.

Originally posted by bowlingref:
We called a technical when each player came in. One of my buddies questioned me about it and I went to the case book,10.1.2 @ half time. When I got home, I went to the rule book and found it again under 3.2 article 2 and found we were wrong. I talked with the coach the next week and he was not aware of the rule. I also have that team tomorrow in a playoff game.

Yep, only the first change is penalized with a technical foul. After that, he can add 10 players or make 10 changes if he desires, no penalty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT