16th Tabb at Essex
21st Nottoway at Sussex
22nd John Marshall at Manor
23rd Bruton at Jamestown

Reactions: 19GHS87
Tazewell @ Lee - 8/16
Tazewell @ Chilhowie - 8/23 - Benefit Game
Princeton @ Richlands - 8/17
Grundy @ Richlands - 8/22 (Benefit game).

Reactions: Fairlawncat
The Mighty Tigers of Princeton tangling in scrimmages with 2 Tazewell County schools and then plays the third one (Tazewell) in regular season. Will be interesting to see if Princeton can return to the WV AAA Title game like last year. That program is rolling. If Radford and Byrd was on a different day, I would ride up to the Princeton/Graham scrimmage on the 23rd. That will be a good one.

The Mighty Tigers of Princeton tangling in scrimmages with 2 Tazewell County schools and then plays the third one (Tazewell) in regular season. Will be interesting to see if Princeton can return to the WV AAA Title game like last year. That program is rolling. If Radford and Byrd was on a different day, I would ride up to the Princeton/Graham scrimmage on the 23rd. That will be a good one.
Reports on X that Daniel Jennings has committed to Penn State

2024 Dogwood District Football Scrimmages

Altavista (Class 1)
8/16 HOME vs. Liberty-Bedford
8/23 AWAY at Northside

Appomattox County (Class 2)
8/16 HOME vs. Mecklenburg County
8/23 AWAY at Liberty Christian (Benefit Game)

Chatham (Class 2)
8/16 HOME vs. Franklin
8/23 AWAY at Magna Vista

Dan River (Class 2)
8/16 HOME vs. Buckingham & Halifax County
8/23 AWAY at Liberty-Bedford (Liberty and Randolph-Henry)

Gretna (Class 2)
8/16 AWAY at Cave Spring
8/23 HOME vs. Halifax County

Nelson County (Class 2)
8/16 HOME vs. James River
8/23 AWAY at Madison County

William Campbell (Class 1)
8/16 AWAY at Staunton River
8/23 AWAY at Martinsville

Riverheads travels to Turner Ashby this Thursday (15th) for a scrimmage that will feature two teams expected to contend for their respective district titles. The Gladiators then host Strasburg the following week, but I have seen conflicting Thursday/Friday dates for that one. The real fun then starts on the 30th when the Big Red will host Central Woodstock in the regular season opener.

Others down East
15th Southampton at Bruton
16th Surry at Nottoway
16th Tabb at Essex
21st Nottoway at Sussex
22nd John Marshall at Manor
23rd Bruton at Jamestown
8/16 …King William was added to the Tabb @ Essex scrimmage

Graham scrimmaging Mt Airy and Floyd County at George Wythe high jamboree— should be a great one against 2x defending 1A NC champs Mt Airy .
Any timeline for the scrimmages on Friday? I would like to go, but I wouldn't be able to get to Wytheville until around 4:00 or 5:00

Graham scrimmaging Mt Airy and Floyd County at George Wythe high jamboree— should be a great one against 2x defending 1A NC champs Mt Airy .
By the way, don't let NC classification fool you. Mt. Airy has over 600 students (larger than Radford). They had 614 last year. They would be either one of the largest 2A or borderline 3A in Virginia. Only 4 classifications in NC (until next year).

Last edited:
Graham scrimmaging Princeton and Mt Airy. They arguably may not play two better teams from game 1 through game 15 (if the GMen were to make it far). Princeton would have won the VHSL class 2 title last year and so would Mt. Airy and I'm a Radford guy. Mt Airy the last 2 years has been that good.

Hi,
I went to Mt. Airy High School in NC. I live between Dublin and Fairlawn. All 3 of my kids graduated from Pulaski County HS and my grandson goes to Riverlawn Elementary School in Fairlawn. I sure love the football in Southwest Virginia and Northwest NC. I was a longtime friend of the late great Joel Hicks, former coach at PCHS, and watched Cougar football film with him and the TD club every Monday for years. Enjoy the football talk on Virginia Preps. Hope to see some of you at George Wythe Friday.

Last edited:
By the way, don't let NC classification fool you. Mt. Airy has over 600 students (larger than Radford). They had 614 last year. They would be either one of the largest 2A or borderline 3A in Virginia. Only 4 classifications in NC (until next year).
Yes, Graham has about 510.

Graham scrimmaging Mt Airy and Grayson County at George Wythe high jamboree— should be a great one against 2x defending 1A NC champs Mt Airy . 4&6 pm
George Wythe jamboree schedule (split field)

4- Graham v Grayson county
4- Galax v Mt airy
5- Mt airy 2 v Narrows
5- rural retreat v Floyd county
6- GRAHAM V MT AIRY
6- G Wythe 2 v Holston
7- Galax v Narrows
7- Grayson v Holston
8- G wythe v Floyd county
8- rural retreat v Galax

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts