ADVERTISEMENT

Season Predictions

RedPrideNation_RollPride

VaPreps All District
Oct 13, 2014
Its that time and in about 16 weeks we will see a champion crowned. i will kick off some bold predictions here and see where everyone else is at this time.

Region A
Essex
- any list that doesn't have them at or near the top is silly. Look for this team to go 10-0 to 8-2 at worst. Fully expect their brand of hard hitting football to rise to the top of Region A again this season.
Northumberland- going out on a limb and saying that this team will be better than some expect but may still be around that 6-4/7-3 mark. No worries as they will make a decent run in the playoffs.
West Point- three bell weather games to watch are CB, K&Q and KW. Rapp may be in there as well. Look for the Pointers to be around 6-4/7-3 as well so do not sleep on them.
K&Q- Not sold on them being in the top 4 but certainly skilled enough to make noise. I look for them to be a four loss team but those games will all be close except KW and Essex.
Colonial Beach- I am interested to see where this team goes. The primarily Division 1 schedule will prepare them for the teams they will face in the playoffs. I can see some bumps in the road until they find their way
W&L- This could be a down year but there are some very winnable games on the schedule. A .500 record would not be the end of the world with only 8 games on the schedule and three of those games against 4A King George, 2A region A favorite KW and 1A powerhouse Essex.
Rapp- fairly benign schedule with the usual 1A opponents being their biggest challenges.

Region B
Riverheads
- The Gladiators are bringing back a significant amount of talent but can the line gel and be effective. There are several games of interest with 3A Powerhouse Lord Botetourt being the biggest reach. In addition to this game there is a trip to 2A Tazewell and two games against 2A Stuarts Draft who were state runner up the past two seasons. Not sleeping on this team but an 8-2 record would be phenomenal considering the level of competition they face this season.
Sussex- Really special year for this team if they can get by Essex in the first game. I look for no worse than 9-1 record as the rest of the schedule should be manageable.
Buffalo Gap- The newcomer to region B will be in contention from the start. They do have lots of parts to replace but the coaching staff have done a good job of finding replacements. IMO they should be the third best team in the 'doah but Wilson may have something to say bout that as well. Look for a solid 6-4/7-3 record and at least region semis out of this group.
Central Lunenburg- This is a better team than their showing in the spring. Again a 6-4/7-3 record is likely with an interesting match up late in the season against Buckingham (my pick to win region 2B).
Franklin- I am not sure which cycle this team is in. The last I heard of them, they were young but like to hit. If that talent is still there and are JR/SR then this could be an interesting year. I would like to see this team after the first five games, 2-3 will tell us its a slightly down year while 3-2 or better means we had all better watch out.
William Campbell- Looking at their schedule I can see seven fairly tough games. If they win three of those then it .500 or better. This team should be back competing at a high level but they have a deceptively difficult schedule.
Altavista- This is almost a mirror to the WC guess for me. Lots of quality teams that they will face. If they can make their own luck and come out of that winning more than losing, watch out folks.

Region C
Galax
- I have to believe that this is the year they take a slight step back. That said its likely wishful thinking as this is just a solid program. Great match up this first week with Glenvar which should set the tone for the season. A mid season game with Graham will be a test but they are at home so this could be eye opening for everyone in SWVA if they pull that one off. I look at a very solid 8-2 record and plenty of noise come playoff time.
GW- There have been a lot of good things said about this years team. I see this team as a very good 7-3/8-2 record. Can they beat Galax two years removed from Dixon who just seemed to have their number?
Narrows- I would have to believe with the amount of talent that graduated that this team takes a slight step back form the several seasons. That said, the Pioneer is not full of powerhouse contenders so they will likely still have an attractive record. I do not want to slight them but so much as you play who is scheduled and more times than not lately they have won. I see a good regular season with a playoff win to get to the second round. I however do not see a region championship game on the radar at this time.
Giles- Narrows neighbor may have a thing or two to say before its all said and done this season. I am hearing that they are extremely young but that could foretell of their destiny for the next several seasons not necessarily this year. Not a footnote but look for this team to have an ebb and flow but be in the hunt next season or the season after.
Fort Chiswell- This team may be one of the biggest mysteries to me. New coach (fairly regular occurrence at this point) with no standout players that I am aware of. This could be a blessing if used correctly and the coach is able to recruit the hall and get the talent to come out. I mean no disrespect to anyone that is returning, I just do not have an idea of what this team will look like. They are usually tough as nails though so don't expect them to roll over and show their belly.
Grayson County- I have to say that someone come on here and stated that this team would be ruling Division 1. To this point we have not seen that but it certainly could occur if they can put it together. IMO they do not have an exteremly hard schedule but there are some dang good teams on there to contend with.\
Parry McCluer- Another new coach in the mix here. Can he turn this program back around? A few mediocre years recently have soured some on their potential but this is usually a hard working team that just keeps coming at you. I look for them to surprise a few people but again the Pioneer is down overall so the record wont carry as much weight.

Region D
JI Burton
- Having already played and lost to 2A Ridgeview Wolfpack, this team has to get the ship righted quick. Chilhowie is next up with a trip to Union and that atmosphere to deal with. That could be an 0-3 start for a team many have picked to win that region. That said they should win out from there unless they are in their own heads.
Chilhowie- Again they have a tough three game stretch to start the season and then should have smooth sailing minus an improved Rural Retreat team.
Rural Retreat- I am going to listen to the poster on here that has stated that RR has improved. Look for them to surprise some teams and make a deep run in the playoffs. I will definitely be watching some NFHS video of them to see if what I am hearing is correct.
PHGS- I look for this team to be in the 5-5/6-4 range. I have to say that there is a lot of talk about SWVA football especially Region 1D being down. Not sure I believe that completely or that there is just a lot of parity with no schools really standing out.

Sorry for the abbreviated take on the deep SWVa teams but information is harder to come by for them and frankly as I stated I think there is a lot of parity where anyone can win. I in no way mean that disrepectful but as a sign that maybe everyone is just playing at about the say level (whatever level you think that is). All that said beat me up or put out your take on the state of Division 1A football. Its good to be back on the board and I do welcome criticism, lol.

Sussex will make some mistakes early this year due to very good young talent, My Tigers will be dangerous when the chemistry of Jefferson’s Veer is in full go .
Good luck to all tonight !

Sussex will make some mistakes early this year due to very good young talent, My Tigers will be dangerous when the chemistry of Jefferson’s Veer is in full go .
Good luck to all tonight !
Same with my Trojans. This will be Essex’s 1st game since the state semi game of 2019. They didn’t even get to play their 2 scrimmages that were canceled by the other teams. According to the local paper, Essex only have 3 player on this years team that were on that 2019 varsity team. Tonight will be the rest of the Trojans 1st varsity game. We’ll have some growing pains early.

Northumberland is getting a lot of love these days. I just don't see it for a team that win 2 games? In the spring.

Northumberland is getting a lot of love these days. I just don't see it for a team that win 2 games? In the spring.
Well in their defense, they only played 3 games. Lol. Having the #34 ranked player in the class of 2023 will definitely help them get some love.

Reactions: offmylawn
Nah 1D isn't very good at all this year. Burton could still win 1D, Chilhowie has looked okay tonight but not great. RR is prob considered favorite early in the year, esp if Chilhowie can't come back v. Marion right now.

top four prob RR, JIB, Chilhowie and maybe Twin Springs

Botetourt dominated so far by Glass tonight, there's a good chance Riverheads beats them if they can't figure it out.

Reactions: Bama1985
Same with my Trojans. This will be Essex’s 1st game since the state semi game of 2019. They didn’t even get to play their 2 scrimmages that were canceled by the other teams. According to the local paper, Essex only have 3 player on this years team that were on that 2019 varsity team. Tonight will be the rest of the Trojans 1st varsity game. We’ll have some growing pains early.
Essex adjustments were excellent after the half very good team, definitely gonna be a force , Sussex defense was atrocious poor tackling , offensive front was punishing 1st half .

Essex adjustments were excellent after the half very good team, definitely gonna be a force , Sussex defense was atrocious poor tackling , offensive front was punishing 1st half .
What was the final? I had to leave at 9:15pm to do inventory at work in Richmond at 10:30

Its that time and in about 16 weeks we will see a champion crowned. i will kick off some bold predictions here and see where everyone else is at this time.

Region A
Essex
- any list that doesn't have them at or near the top is silly. Look for this team to go 10-0 to 8-2 at worst. Fully expect their brand of hard hitting football to rise to the top of Region A again this season.
Northumberland- going out on a limb and saying that this team will be better than some expect but may still be around that 6-4/7-3 mark. No worries as they will make a decent run in the playoffs.
West Point- three bell weather games to watch are CB, K&Q and KW. Rapp may be in there as well. Look for the Pointers to be around 6-4/7-3 as well so do not sleep on them.
K&Q- Not sold on them being in the top 4 but certainly skilled enough to make noise. I look for them to be a four loss team but those games will all be close except KW and Essex.
Colonial Beach- I am interested to see where this team goes. The primarily Division 1 schedule will prepare them for the teams they will face in the playoffs. I can see some bumps in the road until they find their way
W&L- This could be a down year but there are some very winnable games on the schedule. A .500 record would not be the end of the world with only 8 games on the schedule and three of those games against 4A King George, 2A region A favorite KW and 1A powerhouse Essex.
Rapp- fairly benign schedule with the usual 1A opponents being their biggest challenges.

Region B
Riverheads
- The Gladiators are bringing back a significant amount of talent but can the line gel and be effective. There are several games of interest with 3A Powerhouse Lord Botetourt being the biggest reach. In addition to this game there is a trip to 2A Tazewell and two games against 2A Stuarts Draft who were state runner up the past two seasons. Not sleeping on this team but an 8-2 record would be phenomenal considering the level of competition they face this season.
Sussex- Really special year for this team if they can get by Essex in the first game. I look for no worse than 9-1 record as the rest of the schedule should be manageable.
Buffalo Gap- The newcomer to region B will be in contention from the start. They do have lots of parts to replace but the coaching staff have done a good job of finding replacements. IMO they should be the third best team in the 'doah but Wilson may have something to say bout that as well. Look for a solid 6-4/7-3 record and at least region semis out of this group.
Central Lunenburg- This is a better team than their showing in the spring. Again a 6-4/7-3 record is likely with an interesting match up late in the season against Buckingham (my pick to win region 2B).
Franklin- I am not sure which cycle this team is in. The last I heard of them, they were young but like to hit. If that talent is still there and are JR/SR then this could be an interesting year. I would like to see this team after the first five games, 2-3 will tell us its a slightly down year while 3-2 or better means we had all better watch out.
William Campbell- Looking at their schedule I can see seven fairly tough games. If they win three of those then it .500 or better. This team should be back competing at a high level but they have a deceptively difficult schedule.
Altavista- This is almost a mirror to the WC guess for me. Lots of quality teams that they will face. If they can make their own luck and come out of that winning more than losing, watch out folks.

Region C
Galax
- I have to believe that this is the year they take a slight step back. That said its likely wishful thinking as this is just a solid program. Great match up this first week with Glenvar which should set the tone for the season. A mid season game with Graham will be a test but they are at home so this could be eye opening for everyone in SWVA if they pull that one off. I look at a very solid 8-2 record and plenty of noise come playoff time.
GW- There have been a lot of good things said about this years team. I see this team as a very good 7-3/8-2 record. Can they beat Galax two years removed from Dixon who just seemed to have their number?
Narrows- I would have to believe with the amount of talent that graduated that this team takes a slight step back form the several seasons. That said, the Pioneer is not full of powerhouse contenders so they will likely still have an attractive record. I do not want to slight them but so much as you play who is scheduled and more times than not lately they have won. I see a good regular season with a playoff win to get to the second round. I however do not see a region championship game on the radar at this time.
Giles- Narrows neighbor may have a thing or two to say before its all said and done this season. I am hearing that they are extremely young but that could foretell of their destiny for the next several seasons not necessarily this year. Not a footnote but look for this team to have an ebb and flow but be in the hunt next season or the season after.
Fort Chiswell- This team may be one of the biggest mysteries to me. New coach (fairly regular occurrence at this point) with no standout players that I am aware of. This could be a blessing if used correctly and the coach is able to recruit the hall and get the talent to come out. I mean no disrespect to anyone that is returning, I just do not have an idea of what this team will look like. They are usually tough as nails though so don't expect them to roll over and show their belly.
Grayson County- I have to say that someone come on here and stated that this team would be ruling Division 1. To this point we have not seen that but it certainly could occur if they can put it together. IMO they do not have an exteremly hard schedule but there are some dang good teams on there to contend with.\
Parry McCluer- Another new coach in the mix here. Can he turn this program back around? A few mediocre years recently have soured some on their potential but this is usually a hard working team that just keeps coming at you. I look for them to surprise a few people but again the Pioneer is down overall so the record wont carry as much weight.

Region D
JI Burton
- Having already played and lost to 2A Ridgeview Wolfpack, this team has to get the ship righted quick. Chilhowie is next up with a trip to Union and that atmosphere to deal with. That could be an 0-3 start for a team many have picked to win that region. That said they should win out from there unless they are in their own heads.
Chilhowie- Again they have a tough three game stretch to start the season and then should have smooth sailing minus an improved Rural Retreat team.
Rural Retreat- I am going to listen to the poster on here that has stated that RR has improved. Look for them to surprise some teams and make a deep run in the playoffs. I will definitely be watching some NFHS video of them to see if what I am hearing is correct.
PHGS- I look for this team to be in the 5-5/6-4 range. I have to say that there is a lot of talk about SWVA football especially Region 1D being down. Not sure I believe that completely or that there is just a lot of parity with no schools really standing out.

Sorry for the abbreviated take on the deep SWVa teams but information is harder to come by for them and frankly as I stated I think there is a lot of parity where anyone can win. I in no way mean that disrepectful but as a sign that maybe everyone is just playing at about the say level (whatever level you think that is). All that said beat me up or put out your take on the state of Division 1A football. Its good to be back on the board and I do welcome criticism, lol.
Grundy may be worth mentioning. Don't know yet. We will see.

I think Essex is #1 right now, but 2-6 is wide open. Hard for me to put Northumberland ahead of West Point or King and Queen at the moment, because both teams beat the Indians in the spring and both teams are virtually intact.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT