ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question?

LT93Bunny

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 25, 2012
What other High Schools in Virginia allows the Head Varsity Football Coach to be the Head Varsity Basketball Coach simultaneously and do you think it hurt the teams overall? HICKORY HIGH SCHOOL IN CHESAPEAKE allows this and the programs are suffering.

Football
2014 2015 2016
1-9 3-7 2-8
Basketball
2014 2015 2016
1-20 1-21 ******

What other High Schools in Virginia allows the Head Varsity Football Coach to be the Head Varsity Basketball Coach simultaneously and do you think it hurt the teams overall? HICKORY HIGH SCHOOL IN CHESAPEAKE allows this and the programs are suffering.

Football
2014 2015 2016
1-9 3-7 2-8
Basketball
2014 2015 2016
1-20 1-21 ******

Yikes sounds like you could literally kill 2 birds with one stone on that one

Football
2014 2015 2016
1-9 3-7 2-8
Basketball
2014 2015 2016
1-20 1-21 ******

If I remember correctly Hickory lost its basketball coach right before the season last year and the head football coach offered to jump in and help. How about we applaud someone for looking out for the kids and get the whole story before trying to throw someone under the bus.

Reactions: bigeddike
If I remember correctly Hickory lost its basketball coach right before the season last year and the head football coach offered to jump in and help. How about we applaud someone for looking out for the kids and get the whole story before trying to throw someone under the bus.

You said it "Hickory lost its basketball coach right before the season last year" its a new year I guess they couldn't find a Coach THIS YEAR!! He is an awesome motivator from what I hear but losing terribly last year and this year isn't "looking out for the kids" I applaud the Coach for stepping in and I was actually throwing the bus at the ADMIN/AD for allowing it for another year as I stated "HICKORY HIGH SCHOOL IN CHESAPEAKE allows this" not the Coach.

I think its great if the coach is knowledgeable and head coach material in both sports. It usually comes down more to the assistant coaches on the success of the program,especially in football. So if the assistant basketball coach is really good and respected, it does not hurt a thing. Being the head coach of both will also foster the sharing of the athletes!

I think its great if the coach is knowledgeable and head coach material in both sports. It usually comes down more to the assistant coaches on the success of the program,especially in football. So if the assistant basketball coach is really good and respected, it does not hurt a thing. Being the head coach of both will also foster the sharing of the athletes!

I can not agree with you on this one. Football is year round. And in reality, so are virtually all of the other major high school athletic teams. And then if you consider the overlap with football and basketball pre-season work, it's hard to believe that one coach can adaquately meet the needs of both squads.

And I agree, if a coach needs to step in at the last minute, that is admirable. And maybe it was a similar situation again this year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT