ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah Baseball in a Logjam at the Halfway Point

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
We have reached the halfway point of the Shenandoah District baseball season and on Friday the teams will start their second cycle through district play. So far no team has taken charge of the race and as many as five of the six teams can legitimately think they have a chance at the district title. Of course that is a mythical goal anyway, since there is no district tournament and they will splinter off into three different divisions when the playoffs start, but nevertheless you can bet they keep up with who is beating who.

Wilson is in first place at the moment, with only one district loss, that coming to Riverheads in the season opener. Those two teams will meet Friday in Greenville for the re-match. The Gladiators are one of three teams nipping at the heels of the Hornets with two losses....Fort Defiance and Stuarts Draft being the other two. Buffalo Gap has three losses but still has to be considered in the race, leaving only winless Staunton out of contention already.

Another quirk in the season has been everyone's ability to win on the road. I think I am correct that Wilson has won at SD and FD, Riverheads has won at both FD and Wilson, SD has now won at Riverheads and BG, and since the Fort has lost two at home that I know of, then they too must be earning their victories on the road. In other words, it appears that we have had very few dramatic home field wins. The only one I can recall reading about was Buffalo Gap's eighth-inning decision over RHS last week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT