ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District.... Let's get started...

Sep 24, 2014
Riverheads plays in a weak division with over 475 kids every year. Give them the trophy.

Stuarts Draft lost some big time players and it will feel good to see them get back to their normal spot of 5-5

Will Wilson give up 500 points in 6 games again?

Now, where is my buddy Xcross. I have missed arguing over kids playing High School football and we need some normal back in our lives....

What's your thoughts on at least some football??

draft 5 and 5, only have 6 regular games and 1 less playoff round this year so will be hard for them to go 5 and 5, u aint going to find xcross he only come out in august and talks till december, he prob dont know that the season is getting ready to start, he is the hide and seek champion of augusta county, hopefully rhs will win it all and as far as the weak division, they play who is on there schedule, lots of teams dont want to play them, they play tazwell week 1 heard they have a really good team, we will see come the 27th, GO BIG RED

Yes it is that time again isn't it, even if it does seem totally weird in terms of the calendar. But I guess all we can do is make the most of this shortened season and hope that there will be a more normal one in the fall.

As for your comment about Riverheads enrollment, at least Buffalo Gap drops down next year as well, so at least we will have some company in that department. Will the Gladiators win the district and hopefully the state? As for the district, their chances certainly look good, and I guess SD will be the closest challenger based on last year.

However Fort Defiance gave Riverheads a not half bad game in Greenville, and if my memory serves they had a strong kid that was only a sophomore, so that might be the game to circle instead of the Draft game.

As for the Big Red's chances for a fivepeat, that will of course depend on the rest of the state. Galax certainly did not go quietly last year, so they could easily be in the mix again or there could be another team lurking out there somewhere that has been building toward a big season.

I like the Gladiators' chances because they should be loaded again, but the games will be decided on the field.

Hey there Bama! Looks like there are a bunch of us out there who are ready for some football. As for XCross, chances are he is staying inside today, so we might actually hear from him, since tractors do not go very well on ice!

Reactions: Bama1985
Hey there Bama! Looks like there are a bunch of us out there who are ready for some football. As for XCross, chances are he is staying inside today, so we might actually hear from him, since tractors do not go very well on ice!
i just hope we can be a few of the 250 spectators

Who did Galax hire to replace Dixon? My guess is that any chances Galax had of winning another title went out the door when Dixon left the building. Not that his recent tendency to go spread helped.

Riverheads 5 peats unless all the players for the Gladiators come down with the 'Roni the night before the title game.

Reactions: Bama1985
Seven total titles/four in a row. 2000, 2006, 2010, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. Of course if we win this next one, and then football starts up again in the fall, there will always be confusion over why there was no state title in 2020 for anybody but maybe two state titles in 2021. It would be kind of weird but maybe the idea would be to still call what we are about to start up the "2020 football season."

Reactions: pizzzzza
My football alarm went off when I heard the faint cry of Riverheads and weak in the same sentence . If the Red Team is weak or plays a weak schedule , what does that say about those they play ? I have no idea what the Gladiators look like so I will go out on a limb and say they put 70 on the Hornets . How much will you have to pay someone under the table to get a spot along the fence ?

he still exists, and u woke him up talking about cupcake schedule, got to get there at the crack of dawn to get a parking spot at fence

I guess if push comes to shove, we "outsiders" can always point and say "hur, hur, the Gladiators didn't win a title in 2020, hur, hur".. but I have a feeling you guys will be able to soon enough counter with "yea, but we won 2 in 2021". So there is that.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Changing subjects slightly, I just saw the extended weather forecast for next week. We may be in a deep freeze right now, but it is supposed to be 60 by next Thursday. So if that kind of warmth sticks around, maybe we will have some tolerable weather for the first round of games on the 26th and 27th. Fingers crossed!

It honestly has not been a bad winter overall. Plenty of snow recently which is fine, but we haven't had that week or two that we normally seem to get where temps drop in the single to negative digits. Knock on wood.

LOL! Great to see some familiar names. You Gladiators really hate the number 475 don't you????
Xcross must really have a tractor alarm to respond that fast!!!

As far as the season goes, there will be a few surprises I am sure. Wilson finally "graduated" its biggest weakness and from what i am hearing there are some welcomed changes.
I really hope they allow more fans in attendance. The kids and parents need it. Either way can't wait for the season to start!

Seven total titles/four in a row. 2000, 2006, 2010, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. Of course if we win this next one, and then football starts up again in the fall, there will always be confusion over why there was no state title in 2020 for anybody but maybe two state titles in 2021. It would be kind of weird but maybe the idea would be to still call what we are about to start up the "2020 football season."
0 the 4 years in 2A, just saying....

Reactions: 19GHS87
@WilsonFootball, I am hearing good things about the new coach at the helm in Fishersville so hopefully that will get the ship righted. All due respect to the former head coach, things had gotten stagnant and to be honest kids weren’t excited to be in the system they were incorporating.

That’s said I agree with @longtimerhsfan in saying that Fort will present problems For everyone if they have decent line play. They lost two impact hand in the dirt players so we will see. The young RB is a stud but needs to not play quite as emotional as he did in G’ville. Almost took himself out of the game with some extra curricular stuff.

Another sleeper is Gap even with the loss of Fitzgerald being their big feature back, I believe their coaching will keep them competitive in this shortened season. They have several underrated offensive threats but I am not sure if the scheme gets them the opportunities to showcase their ability.

Moving on to Staunton, as usual they have athletes so the second year coach may make that turn this year to be back in the mix with the top teams in the area. IMO it depends on his line play and if he can get production out of some of his younger skill position players.

I personally think SD has a lot of returning talent even understanding that they lost their best lineman to IMG after their title run. They are loaded at the skill spots so if they are able to get any of about 4 kids in space, it’s gonna be a long night for whomever they are playing. I think there are even a couple that were former Hornets that may contribute.

Finally the Gladiators. While there should be plenty of skill players returning, there will be some new faces on the line. This usually takes a
few games to get them working as a unit so early is when you would want to face them. Unless there are some surprises, this will be a fairly large line by Riverheads standards. The wild card is that the potential starting QB is probably the best thrower of the football since the Lance Diehl timeframe circa 2010. Great grasp of the offense with an accurate and strong arm, will see more of an air attack like early last year?

With all the hype of the scheduled start this year, the most important thing to me is that they get to play. It will be a season like no other and with luck we will get to enjoy our teams make a run in the playoffs.

@WilsonFootball, I am hearing good things about the new coach at the helm in Fishersville so hopefully that will get the ship righted. All due respect to the former head coach, things had gotten stagnant and to be honest kids weren’t excited to be in the system they were incorporating.

That’s said I agree with @longtimerhsfan in saying that Fort will present problems For everyone if they have decent line play. They lost two impact hand in the dirt players so we will see. The young RB is a stud but needs to not play quite as emotional as he did in G’ville. Almost took himself out of the game with some extra curricular stuff.

Another sleeper is Gap even with the loss of Fitzgerald being their big feature back, I believe their coaching will keep them competitive in this shortened season. They have several underrated offensive threats but I am not sure if the scheme gets them the opportunities to showcase their ability.

Moving on to Staunton, as usual they have athletes so the second year coach may make that turn this year to be back in the mix with the top teams in the area. IMO it depends on his line play and if he can get production out of some of his younger skill position players.

I personally think SD has a lot of returning talent even understanding that they lost their best lineman to IMG after their title run. They are loaded at the skill spots so if they are able to get any of about 4 kids in space, it’s gonna be a long night for whomever they are playing. I think there are even a couple that were former Hornets that may contribute.

Finally the Gladiators. While there should be plenty of skill players returning, there will be some new faces on the line. This usually takes a
few games to get them working as a unit so early is when you would want to face them. Unless there are some surprises, this will be a fairly large line by Riverheads standards. The wild card is that the potential starting QB is probably the best thrower of the football since the Lance Diehl timeframe circa 2010. Great grasp of the offense with an accurate and strong arm, will see more of an air attack like early last year?

With all the hype of the scheduled start this year, the most important thing to me is that they get to play. It will be a season like no other and with luck we will get to enjoy our teams make a run in the playoffs.
Going to be different watching the games on TV . It might be a little warmer than years past .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT