ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Week Five of Non District Action

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
We are approaching the halfway point of the season and in many places around the state, teams are already into the teeth of their district schedule. But here in the 'Doah, it is what it is so this week will mark the next to last week of non-district games for everybody before we FINALLY settle into district play on October 11th.

For those of you that may not have noticed, I crashed and burned big time last week with my predictions. Prior to that I was a perfect 16-0 over the first three weeks of the season. But last week I missed three out of four games. Yikes! I guess I didn't give Stuarts Draft enough credit, I gave Buffalo Gap too much, and well...........nobody saw the Staunton win at Turner Ashby coming.

This week I should certainly do better as three of our five games appear to have pretty clear winners, but that still leaves two that on paper are toss-a-coin close. The best news for local fans is that there will be home games at Fort Defiance, Riverheads and Staunton, and the weather sounds promising, so come on out and see a game!

Buffalo Gap at Broadway: Those on again/off again Bison are making life tough for us poor prognosticators. Either they win big or they lose big...nothing in between. This week they travel to winless Broadway. Just because the Gobblers are 0-3 so far does not mean they will be a pushover, so I see this one as pretty tight. Maybe a touchdown or less. And even here in mid-sentence, I have not decided who to go with..........talk amongst yourselves for a minute while I finally choose one of them..............OK Bison I will give you one more chance. Don't let me down!

Rockbridge County at Fort Defiance: Spotswood is getting most of the ink in the Valley but RCHS is down the road piling up some pretty impressive numbers of its own. So when those two get together later in the season, it should be interesting. But for now, I do not see the Fort being able to handle the Wildcats. RC by a minimum of three scores.

Colonial Beach at Riverheads: As someone mentioned elsewhere, Coach Casto hates having a bye week, so he and the Big Red will be more than ready to strap on the helmets and get back to work. It will be Homecoming which might be a slight distraction but this one looks like an easy win on paper, considering that the Gladiators easily handled W & L in the season opener and from what I read on here, CB is a few steps farther down the Region A pecking order.

Central Woodstock at Staunton: Wow! If I thought the Gap game was hard to predict, what am I supposed to do with this one? The Falcons did not exactly soar at the Riverheads Jamboree this year and they are coming off a loss to county-rival Strasburg, at home no less. Staunton on the other hand shocked everyone with that surprising win at TA and should be brimming with confidence. So I will go with the Storm for this one, but a Central win would certainly not be considered an upset.

Wilson at Spotswood: This is the only undeniable, 100% take it to the bank no-brainer on this week's slate. The Wood should take the Hornets to the "Wood-shed" early and often in this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT