ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah Title is Very Much Up For Grabs at the Halfway Point

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
We have four more weeks of regular season action and if my math and memory are correct, each team has three district games left with the exception of Waynesboro, which has four. Please correct me anywhere along the line if I am wrong on anybody's record or remaining schedule.

At the beginning of the season, the general feeling was that Riverheads and Stuarts Draft would be the top dogs and that their meeting next Friday night (the 20th) would be the game that would decide the district title. Well that game will still be quite the big factor for sure, but you only have to look back to this past Friday night's results to realize that there is now one other serious contender in the picture, namely Fort Defiance, and even Wilson cannot be ruled out if they were to catch fire and win out the rest of the season. Those comments are based on the belief that RHS is the only team undefeated in district play and the other three each have just one district loss. Again correct me if I am wrong on any of that.

Obviously the two games played Friday night that cast some doubt on things were Fort's win at Stuarts Draft and Riverheads' narrow escape over Staunton. So here is where those two games would appear to leave us at this halfway point......

..........if Riverheads wins out, then of course they are the undisputed champs. No brainer on that one.

........ if Stuarts Draft knocks off Riverheads and wins the rest of its games, the two could finish tied at 5-1 in district play, but any fair-minded person would consider the Cougars to be the champs in that scenario.

....... .. if SD does beat Riverheads, and Fort Defiance also wins out, then that could create a three way tie at 5-1. In that case, none of the three should have any "We're Number One" bragging rights and they would all (hopefully) advance to the Region 2-B playoffs with a goal to collectively do some damage to the Bull Run teams.

..........if Wilson wins out, that would not directly impact Riverheads since those two have already played, but the Hornets can certainly still upset the apple cart for either SD or FD, or maybe both. So as crazy as it seems after RHS destroyed the Hornets 37-0 on their own field a few weeks ago, it is still mathematically possible for the two of them to finish tied for the district title. Of course Riverheads would certainly then have the right to claim that they were the champs because of that one-sided head-to-head match-up.

.........if Staunton wins out, they cannot claim any portion of the title, but a win over Fort Defiance, if they were to pull it off, could have the impact of knocking the Indians out of the title picture.

.........if either Buffalo Gap or Waynesboro pulls off any upsets down the stretch, that would of course impact the team(s) they beat. With all due respect to those two teams, I think their recent 14-7 battle only served to settle the issue of 6th vs. 7th place, and neither will taste victory the rest of this season, but stranger things have happened.

Let me go ahead and post this now so I won't run the risk of losing it and then I will come back and continue with a look this week's Friday the 13th games.

OK, here is my take on this Friday's slate. I personally see three clear-cut winners, but hey, that is why they play the games, so let's see if any black cats or full moons or any other superstitions play any tricks on anyone....

RIVERHEADS AT BUFFALO GAP: As you can see in that other thread, the debate over the officiating at RHS is still ongoing, but of course that will die down as soon as we have the next set of games to review. The Big Red has had the Bison's number for quite some time now, and most of the games have been runaways. Yes, the Gladiators had their issues Friday night and yes they have not so far been the dominant 56-7 kind of team we have seen over the years, but they will show up for this one and most likely will have put the Staunton game completely in their rear view mirror. Yes the Bison will be fired up and yes they will believe that they can do it, but realistically, this looks like a 35-7 or 42-14 RHS win.

STUARTS DRAFT AT WAYNESBORO: The Cougars' loss to FD surprised me a bit, and they are now sitting at a precarious 4-3 on the season, but I believe I noticed a pretty significant gap in the playoff picture between their number 8 seed and the next team below them. So for county bragging rights, let's hope they do hold on to a playoff spot because they are too good a team to sit at home in November. As for this game, I think they have some sort of "cup" they play for, so that is of course cool. Waynesboro has kept some of their games close this year, and you could argue that they might be catching the Draft still hurting from the Fort loss, but I think the cream will rise to the top and the Graber brothers will see to it that there is a nice ride back down Rt. 340. Cougars by a minimum of three scores.

WILSON AT FORT DEFIANCE: As I addressed in my introduction, this game is very meaningful to both teams. The Hornets have been quite the unpredictable group this year, so who can say which of their teams will show up Friday night? As for Coach Rolfe at Fort Defiance, he is already a candidate for Coach of the Year honors for bringing the Indians back from an 0-3 start to being championship contenders. I personally think the Indians will take this one, and maybe even easily, but this is the game to attend Friday night if you just want to see a good football game and not root for anybody, because Wilson could just as easily pull off the surprise win. My "official" prediction is Fort Defiance 34-21 and let's not forget, I have never been wrong...........

...................at least not yet today.

Staunton is off this week and The Storm is most likely going to use that time to plan and plot how they are going to ruin the season for someone else before they hang up their cleats and get ready for basketball. And of course we ALL know what is going to happen then.............

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT