ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando has a legit backup QB ... Reserve QB fuels Sherando's romp over Fauquier

VerizonSportsFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 2, 2003
His name ... Chacai Campbell!

IMHO, Sherando never missed a beat!

Reserve QB fuels Sherando's romp over Fauquier

5bd28ab45cdbd.image.jpg

Sherando's T.J. Washington leaps over a pile of Fauquier defenders during second quarter on Thursday at Arrowhead Stadium. Washington ran for a 51-yard touchdown and caught a 38-yard touchdown pass during the Warriors' 49-6 romp over the Falcons.

RICH COOLEY/For The Winchester Star

STEPHENS CITY — Chacai Campbell found out from Sherando coach Bill Hall that he would get the opportunity to start at quarterback against Fauquier on Thursday.

Campbell certainly took advantage of his chance. The sophomore threw for three touchdowns and ran for two more as the Warriors build a 49-0 halftime lead in a 49-6 romp against the winless Falcons at Arrowhead Stadium.

Campbell has seen quite a bit of time in the second half of games this season as Sherando has built up huge halftime leads.

With senior starter Hunter Entsminger available but nursing a left leg injury, Hall decided to give Campbell a shot with the first-teamers. Campbell delivered by completing all 11 of his first-half passes for 196 yards, with touchdown tosses to T.J. Washington, Jabril Hayes and Keli Lawson.

He also ran for scores of 40 and 6 yards.

“It was fun,” Campbell said of his first varsity start. “The team really rallied around me this week and made me feel comfortable back there, like they accepted me. I just took what they were saying. They were telling me, 'Calm down, you've got it. Don't be nervous. You will be alright.'”

“I thought he did great,” Hall said. “He, Hunter and I meet every day. It's one thing when you're in the meeting and watch it happen, but it's another when you're driving the sports car.

“He did a good job. He was doing some RPO [run, pass option] stuff and things like that where it's hard to simulate a live look at practice. When things weren't there, he pulled it down and ran. It was valuable experience that he needs and that we need is something happens to Hunter.”

Campbell impressed his teammates and possibly gave them a glimpse of the future.

“It was nice to see what is going to be like next year,” said Hayes, a junior. “He's a young guy. He's learning all of the new stuff that we have installed. I'm just really proud of what he did tonight.”

The Warriors (8-1, 5-0 Class 4 Northwestern District) never gave Fauquier (0-9, 0-5) a glimmer of hope in a game that was moved up a day because expected heavy rain. They needed just 10 plays from scrimmage to take a 21-0 lead and scored on seven of their 25 first-half snaps.

After a shovel pass to Washington gained 19 yards, Campbell found a wide-open Washington curling out of the backfield for a 38-yard TD pass. Jackson Hendren's first of seven extra points made the score 7-0 just 18 seconds into the game.

“That gave me a lot of confidence,” Campbell said of the TD toss. “I was like, 'Dang, I got the first one. I'm feeling good. Settle in now.'”

After the defense forced a three-and-out, the Warriors needed just three plays to go 58 yards. Campbell covered the final 40 on a broken play. Hall said Campbell called the play to go one direction, but ran the play the way he signaled it in from the sideline.

“I made the best out the play I could,” said Campbell. “I kind of messed that up, but I feel like I picked that up on the back end.”

Down 14-0 less than four minutes into the game, Fauquier mounted its only significant march of the first half. The Falcons, led by quarterback J.T. Diehl, picked up 33 yards and three first downs to the Sherando 45, but got no closer. On third-and-11, linebacker Payne Bauer smothered Diehl for a four-yard loss.

“I think we came out in the first half and we played pretty well,” said Bauer, who helped force six Fauquier punts in the first half. “Everyone did their job and we looked pretty good.”

Campbell was 4 for 4 for 55 yards on the next Sherando drive, capping it with a 13-yard TD pass to Hayes.

“It's exhilarating getting catches, easy catches like than and just running up the sideline where I can dip and dodge around defenders,” Hayes said.

JoJo Doleman capped a short 31-yard drive on the Warriors' next possession with a three-yard TD run.

Washington then turned in the highlight play of the night. Running left, he broke several tackles, while twisting and turning and raced up the sidelines for a 51-yard score.

The Warriors would get the ball twice more and score twice. Campbell's 39-yard completion to Hayes on a bubble screen set up the quarterback's own six-yard TD run.

Following Bauer's fumble recovery at the 24, Campbell capped his incredible half by lobbing a 16-yard strike to Lawson in the right corner of the end zone.

“We knew he was going to go out there and do a job,” Bauer said of Campbell. “It was pretty obvious that he did it. I mean, he looked pretty good.”

Hall was very pleased with his team, which he had criticized for a slow start the previous week in a win against Handley.

“I thought they started fast," Hall said. "It was better this week than last week. We talked a lot about mentality and we're just trying to be the best version of our self. That's one thing to say it, but another thing to do it.

“... We get to play a game tonight. It's an opportunity to get better. I think when you embrace it like that good things happen.”

Hall was not only able to give Entsminger the night off, but nearly all of his starters rested the entire second half. The Warriors host rival Millbrook next Friday.

“It was really valuable,” Hall said. “To get guys that practice all the time but they don't always get in, it's valuable for those guys. You like to see those guys get rewarded. It's also to get our guys some rest. Now we have a three-day weekend. We'll watch film [Friday], but they will actually get two days off this weekend which is a luxury. That will be nice.”

With the running mercy rule clock in the second half, Sherando had the ball for just eight plays on offense. Campbell missed on two pass attempts and finished 11 of 13.

Washington notched 93 yards on eight carries to lead a rushing attack the amassed 176 yards on 19 carries.

Fauquier had the ball for much of the half against the Sherando reserve defense. Hershel Rinker's seven-yard TD run provided the Falcons' lone points with 7:15 left.

— Contact Walt Moody at

wmoody@winchesterstar.com

Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1

Why did he get the start? Was Entsminger injured or "suspended" or something?

I think we need to pump the breaks a bit....this is winless Fauquier. He played well but lets not make him the chosen one. He was playing with starters and has played alot this year.

Reactions: Rev_Real
His name ... Chacai Campbell!

IMHO, Sherando never missed a beat!

Reserve QB fuels Sherando's romp over Fauquier

5bd28ab45cdbd.image.jpg

Sherando's T.J. Washington leaps over a pile of Fauquier defenders during second quarter on Thursday at Arrowhead Stadium. Washington ran for a 51-yard touchdown and caught a 38-yard touchdown pass during the Warriors' 49-6 romp over the Falcons.

RICH COOLEY/For The Winchester Star

STEPHENS CITY — Chacai Campbell found out from Sherando coach Bill Hall that he would get the opportunity to start at quarterback against Fauquier on Thursday.

Campbell certainly took advantage of his chance. The sophomore threw for three touchdowns and ran for two more as the Warriors build a 49-0 halftime lead in a 49-6 romp against the winless Falcons at Arrowhead Stadium.

Campbell has seen quite a bit of time in the second half of games this season as Sherando has built up huge halftime leads.

With senior starter Hunter Entsminger available but nursing a left leg injury, Hall decided to give Campbell a shot with the first-teamers. Campbell delivered by completing all 11 of his first-half passes for 196 yards, with touchdown tosses to T.J. Washington, Jabril Hayes and Keli Lawson.

He also ran for scores of 40 and 6 yards.

“It was fun,” Campbell said of his first varsity start. “The team really rallied around me this week and made me feel comfortable back there, like they accepted me. I just took what they were saying. They were telling me, 'Calm down, you've got it. Don't be nervous. You will be alright.'”

“I thought he did great,” Hall said. “He, Hunter and I meet every day. It's one thing when you're in the meeting and watch it happen, but it's another when you're driving the sports car.

“He did a good job. He was doing some RPO [run, pass option] stuff and things like that where it's hard to simulate a live look at practice. When things weren't there, he pulled it down and ran. It was valuable experience that he needs and that we need is something happens to Hunter.”

Campbell impressed his teammates and possibly gave them a glimpse of the future.

“It was nice to see what is going to be like next year,” said Hayes, a junior. “He's a young guy. He's learning all of the new stuff that we have installed. I'm just really proud of what he did tonight.”

The Warriors (8-1, 5-0 Class 4 Northwestern District) never gave Fauquier (0-9, 0-5) a glimmer of hope in a game that was moved up a day because expected heavy rain. They needed just 10 plays from scrimmage to take a 21-0 lead and scored on seven of their 25 first-half snaps.

After a shovel pass to Washington gained 19 yards, Campbell found a wide-open Washington curling out of the backfield for a 38-yard TD pass. Jackson Hendren's first of seven extra points made the score 7-0 just 18 seconds into the game.

“That gave me a lot of confidence,” Campbell said of the TD toss. “I was like, 'Dang, I got the first one. I'm feeling good. Settle in now.'”

After the defense forced a three-and-out, the Warriors needed just three plays to go 58 yards. Campbell covered the final 40 on a broken play. Hall said Campbell called the play to go one direction, but ran the play the way he signaled it in from the sideline.

“I made the best out the play I could,” said Campbell. “I kind of messed that up, but I feel like I picked that up on the back end.”

Down 14-0 less than four minutes into the game, Fauquier mounted its only significant march of the first half. The Falcons, led by quarterback J.T. Diehl, picked up 33 yards and three first downs to the Sherando 45, but got no closer. On third-and-11, linebacker Payne Bauer smothered Diehl for a four-yard loss.

“I think we came out in the first half and we played pretty well,” said Bauer, who helped force six Fauquier punts in the first half. “Everyone did their job and we looked pretty good.”

Campbell was 4 for 4 for 55 yards on the next Sherando drive, capping it with a 13-yard TD pass to Hayes.

“It's exhilarating getting catches, easy catches like than and just running up the sideline where I can dip and dodge around defenders,” Hayes said.

JoJo Doleman capped a short 31-yard drive on the Warriors' next possession with a three-yard TD run.

Washington then turned in the highlight play of the night. Running left, he broke several tackles, while twisting and turning and raced up the sidelines for a 51-yard score.

The Warriors would get the ball twice more and score twice. Campbell's 39-yard completion to Hayes on a bubble screen set up the quarterback's own six-yard TD run.

Following Bauer's fumble recovery at the 24, Campbell capped his incredible half by lobbing a 16-yard strike to Lawson in the right corner of the end zone.

“We knew he was going to go out there and do a job,” Bauer said of Campbell. “It was pretty obvious that he did it. I mean, he looked pretty good.”

Hall was very pleased with his team, which he had criticized for a slow start the previous week in a win against Handley.

“I thought they started fast," Hall said. "It was better this week than last week. We talked a lot about mentality and we're just trying to be the best version of our self. That's one thing to say it, but another thing to do it.

“... We get to play a game tonight. It's an opportunity to get better. I think when you embrace it like that good things happen.”

Hall was not only able to give Entsminger the night off, but nearly all of his starters rested the entire second half. The Warriors host rival Millbrook next Friday.

“It was really valuable,” Hall said. “To get guys that practice all the time but they don't always get in, it's valuable for those guys. You like to see those guys get rewarded. It's also to get our guys some rest. Now we have a three-day weekend. We'll watch film [Friday], but they will actually get two days off this weekend which is a luxury. That will be nice.”

With the running mercy rule clock in the second half, Sherando had the ball for just eight plays on offense. Campbell missed on two pass attempts and finished 11 of 13.

Washington notched 93 yards on eight carries to lead a rushing attack the amassed 176 yards on 19 carries.

Fauquier had the ball for much of the half against the Sherando reserve defense. Hershel Rinker's seven-yard TD run provided the Falcons' lone points with 7:15 left.

— Contact Walt Moody at

wmoody@winchesterstar.com

Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1

I enjoy reading post like this. This is what it is all about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT