ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando Lawson commits to VaTech

And can’t get the title? Yet you all ignore the fact that some schools continually get far into the playoffs with half the talent - coaching is key example——-LOudoun county last few years - how do you not kick some serious ass with that team?
Oh and to throw it in there for Sherando who do we have to kill to get 3-4-5-6 not sure how many cycles now - VHSL waivers to stay in 4a despite our enrollment - good program is a stretch here for anyone who’s been watching well connected is more the story —— good kids -good environment - good talent —- sure

anything beyond that NO WAY - they should be 5a and would be getting their behinds handed to them by the likes of Broad run woodgrove Tusky etc etc etc .......and doubt they could beat LC with any kind of coaching - I’ll give credit to AD and whatever relative he has on the VHSL board for managing their success -

stir that pot ———- let’s hear it
I’d rather be sending my kids to get a free education and though we may not win it every year, we still compete for a state championship year in and year out. Sherando is in the title discussion continuously and that’s why colleges are coming for their players. They are coached up right and developed.

And can’t get the title? Yet you all ignore the fact that some schools continually get far into the playoffs with half the talent - coaching is key example——-LOudoun county last few years - how do you not kick some serious ass with that team?
Oh and to throw it in there for Sherando who do we have to kill to get 3-4-5-6 not sure how many cycles now - VHSL waivers to stay in 4a despite our enrollment - good program is a stretch here for anyone who’s been watching well connected is more the story —— good kids -good environment - good talent —- sure

anything beyond that NO WAY - they should be 5a and would be getting their behinds handed to them by the likes of Broad run woodgrove Tusky etc etc etc .......and doubt they could beat LC with any kind of coaching - I’ll give credit to AD and whatever relative he has on the VHSL board for managing their success -

I stand by my comment good program. Sorry bro.

You make good points that have been discussed before. Overall though, I’d still have to say Sherando is a good program regardless of the class they represent.

I’m not a fan of them arguing their desire to remain in 4A for years now. I don’t know any other schools that do that and I’m sure it makes outsiders think Sherando is too scared to be in 5A. Local school officials will say it has to do with travel expenses and local rivalries...I really don’t know if that’s all there is too it.

Also, for what it’s worth, Sherando hasn’t been that far away from 4A enrollment numbers when they’ve lobbied to remain in class. So it’s not as if they are beating on schools that are far and away from their numbers.

I decided to check out the 2018 ADM figures on the VHSL website and Sherando had the 9th highest enrollment for 4A schools. Does that mean that the other 8 schools that are larger than Sherando also received waivers to stay 4A? Are you arguing that the other schools that are larger than Sherando (which includes Loudoun County High School) should be 5A as well?

I don't know much about Sherando as I usually stick to Loudoun and Fairfax County on Friday nights but I did watch them play Woodgroove a couple of years ago and they seemed to me to be a well coached disciplined team. Same with Loudoun County - they have had some good teams over the last couple of years.

Reactions: VAtuffTurf
You make good points that have been discussed before. Overall though, I’d still have to say Sherando is a good program regardless of the class they represent.

I’m not a fan of them arguing their desire to remain in 4A for years now. I don’t know any other schools that do that and I’m sure it makes outsiders think Sherando is too scared to be in 5A. Local school officials will say it has to do with travel expenses and local rivalries...I really don’t know if that’s all there is too it.

Also, for what it’s worth, Sherando hasn’t been that far away from 4A enrollment numbers when they’ve lobbied to remain in class. So it’s not as if they are beating on schools that are far and away from their numbers.
Afraid but they schedule Martinsburg every year?

Reactions: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Afraid but they schedule Martinsburg every year?
I agree with you bud; I just think some (not my opinion) may label the warriors as fearful of moving to 5A since they lobby to stay in 4A. That decision comes from the administration. I think Hall would welcome 5A.

Yeah Sherando moved up years ago from AA to AAA. Essentially like moving up to 5A. It was a nightmare from a travel prospective. Especially for sports that play during the week. Also you get less fans because of distance which hurts lives gates.

It might be better now with more schools opening since then but it still would cost the school money with further travel and less fans.

Yeah Sherando moved up years ago from AA to AAA. Essentially like moving up to 5A. It was a nightmare from a travel prospective. Especially for sports that play during the week. Also you get less fans because of distance which hurts lives gates.

It might be better now with more schools opening since then but it still would cost the school money with further travel and less fans.
How was it a nightmare when Stephens City is only about an hours drive to most NoVa schools? Was it the traffic? The old Western Valley District was the real nightmare. Halifax County had to travel to Franklin County (1 hr 45 min drive) and Patrick Henry (2 hr 15 min drive)! That’s a real nightmare! GW Danville used to be in the same district with Albemarle. You’re talking about a 2 hr 30 min drive when you factor in that there was no Lynchburg and still no Charlottesville bypass.

How was it a nightmare when Stephens City is only about an hours drive to most NoVa schools? Was it the traffic? The old Western Valley District was the real nightmare. Halifax County had to travel to Franklin County (1 hr 45 min drive) and Patrick Henry (2 hr 15 min drive)! That’s a real nightmare! GW Danville used to be in the same district with Albemarle. You’re talking about a 2 hr 30 min drive when you factor in that there was no Lynchburg and still no Charlottesville bypass.

Sherando moved to AAA before most of the NOVA schools you are talking about were open outside of Broad Run. They were basically facing Stafford schools so most of the drives were 1hr and half plus not including traffic.

It would probably be better now as mentioned in my post with more schools in closer locations. However, I'm sure they would still like to not have put out the extra expense when budgets are being cut. It's alot different driving an hour to NOVA than 15 minutes down to the road to Handley, James Wood, and Millbrook

Sherando moved to AAA before most of the NOVA schools you are talking about were open outside of Broad Run. They were basically facing Stafford schools so most of the drives were 1hr and half plus not including traffic.

It would probably be better now as mentioned in my post with more schools in closer locations. However, I'm sure they would still like to not have put out the extra expense when budgets are being cut. It's alot different driving an hour to NOVA than 15 minutes down to the road to Handley, James Wood, and Millbrook
Thank you. Sherando and GW Danville are both two programs that I believe has suffered from playing in a lower tier district when top level competition is an hours drive away. Millbrook (Sherando) and Magna Vista (GW) seem to be the only consistent competition in those districts. There’s a huge correlation in both programs as they’ve both had tremendous talent over the years, both programs have underachieved and fallen short of state aspirations and both play in bad districts. I believe Sherando would benefit in playing in Dulles or the Potomac District as GW would benefit in playing in the Seminole. I understand the logistics, but I truly believe that definitely plays into their shortcomings.

In Sherando's AAA days away games were at Stafford, North Stafford, Brook Point, Colonial Forge and Culpeper. The Stafford schools required you to get on 95 North which is a nightmare depending on the time. Probably not so drastic for Varsity football because there's no school the next day, but it's a late night for weekday games for JV football, V/JV basketball, V/JV softball etc. With 5 teams out of the area it's impossible not to have a weekday game. So if I'm Sherando I'm trying to get games closer to home to benefit the entire athletic program and not just Varsity football. Also I didn't mention those were the days when Sherando had freshman sports also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT