ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando @ Millbrook

Millbrook will have something to prove. Sherando will build a decent lead, then blow it in the 4th quarter. Will Millbrook be disciplined enough to pull it out?

Millbrook will have something to prove. Sherando will build a decent lead, then blow it in the 4th quarter. Will Millbrook be disciplined enough to pull it out?

I think HoosFan is a Sherando fan in denial. A real bunny boiler. Did something happen that you'd like to tell us about, Hoos? :p

@Shruikan LOL! So have you asked your fellow Sherando fan is he a Louisa fan in denial? Since he likes to throw his 2 cents in every Louisa thread?

@Shruikan LOL! So have you asked your fellow Sherando fan is he a Louisa fan in denial? Since he likes to throw his 2 cents in every Louisa thread?
I'll give Millbrook a sight edge being the home team. QB Isaac Brown who played for Martinsburg WV last season is on a 23 game winning streak. Brown seems to make everyone around him play better. And of course their running back Savon Smith can bust open a long run every time he touches it. Sherando's T.J. Washington is the same way; and their QB Hunter Entsminger has been very good. I can see this being a back and forth game with lots of scoring. 38-34? Would love to see Gameday come over the mountain and show this game. This might be one of the biggest crowds ever to see a football game in Frederick Co. Va.

Sherando will play hard this Friday . If they play to there potential they will be successful . And it won’t be close .

A lot on the line ... The Cup ... The NWD title ... who wins?
Not sure why people keep underestimating Millbrook. They seem like they have the athletes to matchup well with Sherando's athletes at all of the skills positions.
Sherando was heavily favored by a lot of people versus Liberty and that didn't turn out like most prognosticated.
Huge game for both teams. Excited to see what's going to happen

Not sure why people keep underestimating Millbrook. They seem like they have the athletes to matchup well with Sherando's athletes at all of the skills positions.
Sherando was heavily favored by a lot of people versus Liberty and that didn't turn out like most prognosticated.
Huge game for both teams. Excited to see what's going to happen

I think a lot of it has to do with their history. They've only won three playoff games since the school opened, and haven't played anyone that is proven to be good (meaning title contender here) so far this year. The same could be said for Sherando outside of Martinsburg, but Sherando has a long history of success. A lot of people were saying not to underestimate them last year and when they finally played a team that was a state contender, they got obliterated.

I saw them play against Liberty last week, and neither team looked like they were ready for the playoffs. Millbrook outplayed them, but Liberty looked like they were reluctant to take the field from the start.

It should be a good game, and a packed one. For what it's worth, I've seen Millbrook play twice this year. In the first game it looked like they were worse than last year, but in the second they looked better than last year.

I guarantee you Sherando is not under estimating Millbrook. They have great athletes. This is going to be the game to be at in the surrounding 100 square miles.

Good luck Friday! This would be a real nice way to end the season beating a 10-0 team in week 11 right before a playoff run. I think Sherando is due for a few good bounces after a two tough losses to quality ball clubs.

Who is officiating this game ?
I know that Sherando went with the WV officials this season. Not sure who Millbrook uses.
I know that I have heard talk that Sherando will possibly be returning to the Winchester group next year.

Who is officiating this game ?
I know that Sherando went with the WV officials this season. Not sure who Millbrook uses.
I know that I have heard talk that Sherando will possibly be returning to the Winchester group next year.
I didn't know that was possible. I thought it was a requirement for VHSL officials to officiate VHSL sanctioned home games?

Sherando uses VHSL officials. Same association that does Clarke County and both Warren County Schools. I also have heard rumblings that they may be switching to Winchester Association for 2018.

Skyline and Warren do not use same officials association. There are other errors in New Guy's post as well.

Skyline and Warren do not use same officials association. There are other errors in New Guy's post as well.
I stand corrected. Sherando uses the same association as Clarke, Warren Co., and Strasburg but not Skyline. What are my others errors?

Well, that it is West Virginia association, and not VHSL. What exactly about your post was correct?

Since I have already admitted that I mis-identified Strasburg as Skyline in my original post, I think I could argue that your post is actually more error filled than mine in stating that mine was error filled - But I Won't.

My half dozen or so annual posts are only meant to share what I believe is valuable information from typically reliable friends near the Sherando and James Wood programs. I certainly don't ever plan to get in a tit for tat with anyone. I instead will continue to read and appreciate the great posts from so many people on this site and will make sure that I double fact check my posts before I reply.

Since I have already admitted that I mis-identified Strasburg as Skyline in my original post, I think I could argue that your post is actually more error filled than mine in stating that mine was error filled - But I Won't.

My half dozen or so annual posts are only meant to share what I believe is valuable information from typically reliable friends near the Sherando and James Wood programs. I certainly don't ever plan to get in a tit for tat with anyone. I instead will continue to read and appreciate the great posts from so many people on this site and will make sure that I double fact check my posts before I reply.
Aw man, stick around, we don't bite!

Let’s not be to sensitive fellas, new guy is all good , and schoolboard is a great guy also, except for that dang “Hawk “ sound button he likes to push lol.

I have a very loud Primos predator call , if you want to borrow it for the Hawk sound , I believe it is on there. You could record it on a cellphone .

Totally irrelevant, but I've just got to tell you this "hawk call" story.

We were working in a large building a couple of years ago that contains huge, steel I-beams for sale, and had many open truck doors. A Red Tail Hawk had flown in and had been up in the top of the building for at least two weeks. We were discussing if the poor bird would just die from being trapped. My 73 year old employee said no problem, I can call him out.

We said, yeah, right.

He went outside one of the truck doors, made some type of crazy animal distress call, and the hawk immediately flew out the door to investigate. One of the most amazing things I have ever sceen.

Home cooking. But, 3 of 5 is still only 60%. Additionally, I put very, very, little stock in reporters picks. Honestly, I think they cater to their readership with their pics.

yep we’re bringing the horse! The spear is going down at midfield!!

Last time Sherando did that ... they lost a game to Handley and Sherando was the better team that year but when they threw that spear into Handley's field, everyone knew that was very wrong and the Judge did not like it!

Millbrook, Sherando ready to rumble in regular-season football finale

Millbrook’s Savon Smith has scored 22 offensive touchdowns (14 rushing, 8 receiving) for the Pioneers heading into tonight’s 7 p.m. clash against Sherando in Winchester.

• Ginger Perry/The Winchester Star

Sherando quarterback Hunter Entsminger has thrown for 1,776 yards and 23 touchdowns heading into tonight’s Northwestern District showdown at Millbrook.

Pioneers are likely to retain their No. 1 rating. Sherando activities coordinator Jason Barbe believes the No. 5 Warriors could finish second or third in the ratings with a win and finish fifth, sixth or seventh with a loss, though he added that the scenario that it would take for them to finish seventh is a highly improbable one.

Regardless of rating, these very well might be the two best teams in the region. Sherando’s only losses are 31-28 to Liberty on Sept. 22 — a game that the Warriors led 15-14 with 10:40 left before Entsminger left with an injury — and 31-28 to West Virginia state power Martinsburg, winners of 24 straight games.

Millbrook is averaging 406.8 yards per game (first in the area) and 46.3 points per game (second) and is led by junior Savon Smith (1,338 yards and 22 touchdowns combined rushing and receiving), whose 54-yard receiving TD on fourth-and-10 led to the game-winning extra point with 47 seconds left last year. Martinsburg transfer quarterback Isaac Brown (90 of 140 for 1,490 yards, 14 TDs, 4 INTs) has energized the Pioneers’ passing attack this year.

Sherando is averaging 400.3 yards (second) and 48.0 points per game (first), and is led by Entsminger (96 of 138 for 1,776 yards, 23 touchdowns and three interceptions) and running back T.J. Washington (1,380 yards and 18 TDs combined rushing and receiving).

But what could make the difference for these teams tonight and in the future is their improved defenses. Both squads had nearly identical defensive stats last year (289.3 yards per game for both, 21.8 ppg for Millbrook, 22.0 for Sherando), but the Pioneers are now allowing just 15.9 points (first in the area) and 267 yards per game (second) while the Warriors are permitting 16 ppg (second) and 208.7 ypg (first).

Millbrook hadn’t been held under 40 points through its first seven games, but the Pioneers have showed in recent wins over James Wood (24-8) and last week’s 22-14 win over Liberty — in which the Eagles were held to a season low in points — that their defense can take over, too.

“I believe that defense wins championships, like everybody says,” said Millbrook senior linebacker Trammell Anthony, a first-year starter on defense who ranks third in the area with 94 tackles. “[The last two weeks], I think we’ve stopped the pass better than we have before. We’re trying to limit how many yards people can get, and how many yards they get after the catch.”

Millbrook is only giving up 85.9 passing yards per game, but the Pioneers haven’t faced a passing attack like Sherando’s this year. Aaron Banks (30 catches for 565 yards and eight TDs) is one of four Sherando players with at least 12 catches and one of six with at least 164 receiving yards.

The Pioneers are loading up their pass defense in response. Smith has focused on offense the second half of the season, but he said on Wednesday he’ll be heavily involved in the secondary this week, too. With Millbrook also featuring Brown at cornerback (36 tackles, four interceptions), Entsminger will need to be at his best tonight.

“I have to spot [Brown and Smith] out and make sure I make the right read depending on where they’re at,” Entsminger said. “[Millbrook] switches up between one high safety and two high, so it’s just getting the right reads and telling my receivers the right routes they need to run.”

Sherando’s ability to balance the pass and run keeps teams on their toes. The Warriors have passed for 1,886 yards and rushed for 1,717.

“We’ve got to be disciplined, but that applies to all phases of the game,” Millbrook coach Josh Haymore said. “You’ve got to do your job. You can’t be the person who’s going to go out and try to win the game themselves. You’ve just got to do your job and believe in the teammates next to you that are practicing as hard as you that they are going to do what they need to do.”

Sherando’s aggressive defense has caused teams fits all year. In addition to the low yardage total, they have 18 sacks (Millbrook has 13) and have 25 takeaways (the Pioneers have 21).

The Pioneers’ offense has hurt itself with five turnovers in the past two weeks, but their speed, misdirection and own offensive balance out of their shotgun wing-T attack will test Sherando as well.

“Outside containment and communicating on defense will be key,” said Banks, a safety on defense. “They try to create a lot of confusion, so we definitely have to stay fundamentally sound.”

With the speed and talent on both these teams, they only need a sliver of space to go the distance. Sherando has at least one touchdown covering 50 yards or more in every game this season, and Millbrook has at least one 40-yard TD in eight of nine games this year.

“Big plays are obviously important in terms of not giving up the big play, and making them earn it,” Sherando coach Bill Hall said. “They have a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball, so just making them earn [yards] the whole way down the field [is key]. If we can put them in predictable situations, then obviously that allows us to do different things as far as how we’re attacking on defense.”

The Warriors have won three straight since losing an intense battle to Martinsburg, and the only team to hold the Bulldogs under 40 points this year believes that game has prepared them well for big moments like the one they’ll have tonight.

“Millbrook’s just as athletic as Martinsburg,” Entsminger said. “We need to have the same mind-set that we had going into the Martinsburg game and play well.

“[Tonight’s] for the district championship and the Apple Cup, and this is what we wanted since we set our goals on Day 1 of the offseason. We want to go out and play and show what we’re made of.”

— Contact Robert Niedzwiecki at rniedzwiecki@winchesterstar.com Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1

Millbrook,

Sherando quarterback Hunter Entsminger has thrown for 1,776 yards and 23 touchdowns heading into tonight’s Northwestern District showdown at Millbrook.

Pioneers are likely to retain their No. 1 rating. Sherando activities coordinator Jason Barbe believes the No. 5 Warriors could finish second or third in the ratings with a win and finish fifth, sixth or seventh with a loss, though he added that the scenario that it would take for them to finish seventh is a highly improbable one.

Regardless of rating, these very well might be the two best teams in the region. Sherando’s only losses are 31-28 to Liberty on Sept. 22 — a game that the Warriors led 15-14 with 10:40 left before Entsminger left with an injury — and 31-28 to West Virginia state power Martinsburg, winners of 24 straight games.

Millbrook is averaging 406.8 yards per game (first in the area) and 46.3 points per game (second) and is led by junior Savon Smith (1,338 yards and 22 touchdowns combined rushing and receiving), whose 54-yard receiving TD on fourth-and-10 led to the game-winning extra point with 47 seconds left last year. Martinsburg transfer quarterback Isaac Brown (90 of 140 for 1,490 yards, 14 TDs, 4 INTs) has energized the Pioneers’ passing attack this year.

Sherando is averaging 400.3 yards (second) and 48.0 points per game (first), and is led by Entsminger (96 of 138 for 1,776 yards, 23 touchdowns and three interceptions) and running back T.J. Washington (1,380 yards and 18 TDs combined rushing and receiving).

But what could make the difference for these teams tonight and in the future is their improved defenses. Both squads had nearly identical defensive stats last year (289.3 yards per game for both, 21.8 ppg for Millbrook, 22.0 for Sherando), but the Pioneers are now allowing just 15.9 points (first in the area) and 267 yards per game (second) while the Warriors are permitting 16 ppg (second) and 208.7 ypg (first).

Millbrook hadn’t been held under 40 points through its first seven games, but the Pioneers have showed in recent wins over James Wood (24-8) and last week’s 22-14 win over Liberty — in which the Eagles were held to a season low in points — that their defense can take over, too.

“I believe that defense wins championships, like everybody says,” said Millbrook senior linebacker Trammell Anthony, a first-year starter on defense who ranks third in the area with 94 tackles. “[The last two weeks], I think we’ve stopped the pass better than we have before. We’re trying to limit how many yards people can get, and how many yards they get after the catch.”

Millbrook is only giving up 85.9 passing yards per game, but the Pioneers haven’t faced a passing attack like Sherando’s this year. Aaron Banks (30 catches for 565 yards and eight TDs) is one of four Sherando players with at least 12 catches and one of six with at least 164 receiving yards.

The Pioneers are loading up their pass defense in response. Smith has focused on offense the second half of the season, but he said on Wednesday he’ll be heavily involved in the secondary this week, too. With Millbrook also featuring Brown at cornerback (36 tackles, four interceptions), Entsminger will need to be at his best tonight.

“I have to spot [Brown and Smith] out and make sure I make the right read depending on where they’re at,” Entsminger said. “[Millbrook] switches up between one high safety and two high, so it’s just getting the right reads and telling my receivers the right routes they need to run.”

Sherando’s ability to balance the pass and run keeps teams on their toes. The Warriors have passed for 1,886 yards and rushed for 1,717.

“We’ve got to be disciplined, but that applies to all phases of the game,” Millbrook coach Josh Haymore said. “You’ve got to do your job. You can’t be the person who’s going to go out and try to win the game themselves. You’ve just got to do your job and believe in the teammates next to you that are practicing as hard as you that they are going to do what they need to do.”

Sherando’s aggressive defense has caused teams fits all year. In addition to the low yardage total, they have 18 sacks (Millbrook has 13) and have 25 takeaways (the Pioneers have 21).

The Pioneers’ offense has hurt itself with five turnovers in the past two weeks, but their speed, misdirection and own offensive balance out of their shotgun wing-T attack will test Sherando as well.

“Outside containment and communicating on defense will be key,” said Banks, a safety on defense. “They try to create a lot of confusion, so we definitely have to stay fundamentally sound.”

With the speed and talent on both these teams, they only need a sliver of space to go the distance. Sherando has at least one touchdown covering 50 yards or more in every game this season, and Millbrook has at least one 40-yard TD in eight of nine games this year.

“Big plays are obviously important in terms of not giving up the big play, and making them earn it,” Sherando coach Bill Hall said. “They have a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball, so just making them earn [yards] the whole way down the field [is key]. If we can put them in predictable situations, then obviously that allows us to do different things as far as how we’re attacking on defense.”

The Warriors have won three straight since losing an intense battle to Martinsburg, and the only team to hold the Bulldogs under 40 points this year believes that game has prepared them well for big moments like the one they’ll have tonight.

“Millbrook’s just as athletic as Martinsburg,” Entsminger said. “We need to have the same mind-set that we had going into the Martinsburg game and play well.

“[Tonight’s] for the district championship and the Apple Cup, and this is what we wanted since we set our goals on Day 1 of the offseason. We want to go out and play and show what we’re made of.”

— Contact Robert Niedzwiecki at rniedzwiecki@winchesterstar.com Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1

Somebody better tell Entsminger to put a left knee pad in his pants and pull it over that knee! That'll get him sent off for a few plays until he gets it fixed come playoff time. Don't know why the officials on that game didn't catch that. :confused:

This has been a noticeable issue throughout HS football recently, it's not just him. The kids see the boys on Saturday do it, so they want to do it too. Kind of like the back pads hanging out the back of the jerseys. Just because it's legal on Saturdays doesn't mean we can do it on Fridays too... no matter how cool it looks. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT