ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando @ Tuscarora

I would love to see this game. Hopefully Sherando has some of their key players back. I have Tusky winning this one.

Unfortunately I don’t think this one will be much of a game.

Sherando will need to have a good offensive performance to supplement their good “D”
in order to stay in the game. If their offense can’t sustain lengthy drives and the defense can’t get off the field then this one will open up come halftime.

Sherando was missing QB Campbell (Jr.), WR/LB Keli Lawson (Jr.), who is a UVA recruit, WR/DB Zach Kim (Sr.), for most of the season, as well as several others for the Martinsburg, Millbrook, Handley, and Liberty games. While I think their backups did as much as you could ask for from sophomores, getting those guys back makes Sherando a lot less one dimensional.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Sherando would have lost to Kettle Run were it not for Kim and Lawson especially. Both have improved the pass defense drastically and have each had huge plays since coming back.

That being said, while I think Kettle Run is much better now than their record suggests, you can't let a 1-9 team stay in the game until the 3rd quarter and expect to have success against a team as good as Tuscarora. Sherando came out sleeping like they did several other times this year and let the Cougars score on their first drive, making it look almost effortless.

To beat Tuscarora, Sherando is going to need to take a few big steps forward before Friday and hope that a couple balls bounce their way. If the Warriors win it will be a big upset.

Reactions: SFUWO and Rev_Real
Sherando is definitely going to have to play there best game. I think they were looking past Kettle Run a little bit. I am hoping for a great game.

You still know you are in the playoffs and the last game of your regular season is against a one-win team. Especially since the game is one of their longest road trips. I can easily see them overlooking Kettle Run

Yea I don’t think he meant mentally preparing for the next team. I think it was more of the lackadaisical approach knowing they are already in.

Honestly though Kettle Run has done well improving this year. Either way if you don’t have the mental focus each week to get better then the playoffs will mean nothing. I just hope Sherando can score against Tuskies reserves.

I'm sure Coach Hall will have Sherando ready to play, and I expect a good game. That said, I don't think they have seen too many teams with the speed and athleticism of Tuscarora on both sides of the ball. On defense Tuscarora's been a wall with the starting defense giving up one touchdown from week 4 on. Their DL is as good as any.

Reactions: Shruikan
Yea I don’t think he meant mentally preparing for the next team. I think it was more of the lackadaisical approach knowing they are already in.

Honestly though Kettle Run has done well improving this year. Either way if you don’t have the mental focus each week to get better then the playoffs will mean nothing. I just hope Sherando can score against Tuskies reserves.
You still know you are in the playoffs and the last game of your regular season is against a one-win team. Especially since the game is one of their longest road trips. I can easily see them overlooking Kettle Run
This was a game where you come and take care of business early so your reserves can get rewarded for all of their hard work. I think KR was just a style problem for Sherando. Or KR had a very good game plan for Sherando and exicuted it.

I comment here infrequently since my old days at CC. That being said, I've had reasons to watch a lot of football in LC the last few years. This years Tuscarora team is better than last years Woodgrove team. This team pushed Broad Run (a team that just put down Stone Bridge) to the brink in week one. They also shut out a Mussleman team that scored 14 first half points against Martinsburg. I just don't see Sherando being strong enough on either line to match what the Huskies are able to do. Could get ugly fast.

Last edited:
I'm taking sherando in this one I think they got everything together at the rite time of year.GO LIONS!!!

I noticed that as well. Good intel.

I’m no coach but I would think maybe the best strategy for Sherando here would be an attempt to control the clock, limiting the opportunities for Tusky offense to run away.

Hope that special teams can put them in decent field position where Darius Lane can pop off a decent run and let the nationally ranked kicker do his thing. I just don’t see Sherando pushing to the end zone unless Tusky makes a mistake (missed tackle) and someone like Jabril Hayes uses his speed to house it.

optimistic approach: 42-17 Tuscarora
pessimistic: 51-0

I said above Tuscarora DL is as good as any, and today 3 of their D-Linemen were announced as all-district with Matei Fitz being named Dulles District Defensive POY.

Is this game still a 7pm start? Broad Run/Millbrook game bumped up 6pm.

Temps will be in upper 20's Friday night.

Sherando takes on talented Tuscarora
5dcdc5b69ebcd.image.jpg

Quarterback Chacai Campbell, who missed six games during the regular season, has returned to the Sherando lineup as the Warriors (7-3) travel to Tuscarora (9-1) in the Region 4C quarterfinals.

Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star

Sherando senior linebacker and fullback Payne Bauer said the Warriors overlooked Kettle Run last week, but there’s no danger of underestimating this week’s opponent.

Sherando (7-3) travels to Leesburg for a Region 4C quarterfinal game at 7 p.m. tonight against Tuscarora (9-1), the No. 2 seed out of the Dulles District.

The Titans have won nine straight games since losing to undefeated Broad Run in their season opener. Tuscarora is outscoring opponents by an average of 34.4-9.2 per game and outgaining them by an average of 418.5-174.3 yards per game. Its victims include last year’s Class 4 state champion, Woodgrove.

Sherando coach Bill Hall said the Warriors are definitely looking forward to the challenge.

“The reason why they put in the time all year long is so they can one, make it to the playoffs, and two, be successful in the playoffs,” Hall said. “That’s the reason why you schedule teams like [three-time defending West Virginia Class AAA state champion] Martinsburg.

“When [the players] see Tuscarora, it won’t be like they haven’t seen a really good team before. They’ve been in games like that with athletes and size like that. It gives them a chance to be successful because they know they can play with people like that.”

The Warriors weren’t anywhere close to full strength when they lost to the Bulldogs 37-0 on Sept. 13, but Sherando looks like a team to be reckoned with now, particularly on defense. The Warriors gave up 137 yards on their first seven plays but just 99 on the last 50 to Kettle Run in a 21-7 win. For the season, Sherando is giving up 18.9 points per game and 287.3 yards (175.6) through the air.

The Warriors will take on a Tuscarora offense that averages 223.4 rushing yards per game. Bauer said the Titans run their offense mostly out of the spread.

Dual-threat quarterback Ethan Gick leads the way, as he’s completed 121 of 171 passes (71 percent) for 1,831 yards, 18 touchdowns and three interceptions. The first team All-Dulles District all-purpose selection has also run 145 times for 984 yards (6.8 average) and 11 TDs. Tuscarora coach Brandon Wheelbarger said Gick has a scholarship offer from NCAA Division I Valparaiso and also has heavy interest from the Ivy League.

“He’s pretty good in space when he’s running the ball,” said Bauer, who leads Sherando with 89 tackles (41 for loss) and 12 sacks. “They want to run the ball. If we can get them in predictable situations and make them throw the ball, we’ll have a chance for success.”

Gick also has a talented running back in 6-foot, 208-pound sophomore Bryce Duke to hand the ball to. Duke has carried the ball 159 times for 1,164 yards (7.3 average) and 13 TDs. The first team All-Dulles selection has interest from Power 5 colleges and also has 21 catches for 192 yards and a TD.

“[Duke] is a hard runner and he has good speed in space,” Hall said.

Gick’s top targets are 6-0, 165-pound wide receiver Jevonn Gilyard, who has 41 catches for 973 yards and 14 TDs. Slot receiver Ryan Upp has 51 catches for 594 yards and five TDs. Both are All-Dulles first teamers.

Tuscarora has two offensive linemen who have several scholarship offers in Gick’s twin brother Noah (6-3, 260, William & Mary is among the interested schools) and 6-4, 300-pound Gabe El-Fiky (New Hampshire has offered). Both are All-Dulles first teamers.

While the Huskies aren’t as big as Kettle Run up front, Bauer thinks the game against the Cougars will be good preparation in terms of how hard you need to work against bigger players. Sherando’s defense is also led by linebacker McKinley Dean (80 tackles), safety Jabril Hayes (56 tackles, five interceptions) and linebacker Keli Lawson, who has 11 tackles (nine for loss) and three sacks since returning from injury three games ago.

“I think they’re a lot like Kettle Run,” Bauer said. “They have a lot of size to them, but it’s a matter of the fight in the dog. We might not have guys as big as them, but we’re going to play with more heart.”

Hall said Tuscarora’s defense plays a base 4-2-5 formation but will switch to a 3-4 in long-yardage situations. The team is allowing 70 rushing yards and 104.3 passing yards per game.

The Huskies are led by 6-foot-3, 255-pound Matei Fitz, the Dulles District Defensive Player of the Year. Fitz owns school records for sacks and tackles for loss for both a season and for a career, and this fall he has 68 tackles (19 for loss), eight sacks, four pass breakups, and four forced fumbles. Tuscarora also features linebacker Will Hatfield (61 tackles, six sacks), another Dulles first teamer.

Sherando’s offense features running back Darius Lane (235 carries, 1,679 yards, 6.7 average, 25 TDs, 22 catches for 272 yards and two TDs), quarterback Chacai Campbell (31 of 56, 474 yards, 7 TDs, 3 INTs, 50 carries, 354 yards, two TDs) and Hayes (53 catches, 651 yards, 9 TDs). The Warriors average 34.1 points and 356.9 yards per game.

“It’s just about executing and seeing what you’ve got based on what they’re doing, odd or even front,” Hall said. “The team that executes the best is going to have the best chance to win.”

Sherando will be able to execute better if it can limit penalties. The Warriors have committed at least 60 yards of penalties in all but one game this year.

“We just have to be fundamental,” Hall said. “It’s about us being locked in on what we’re doing and being fundamental with how we do it.”

So Tuscarora is just like Kettle Run but smaller? Sherando has more heart? Seems like The Winchester Star and Bill Hall don’t know much about Tuscarora including what their mascot is.

Sherando has some real good athletes. The LB is the best LB in 4A, maybe all of Virginia. I think it’ll be closer than most expect.

“I think they’re a lot like Kettle Run,” Bauer said. “They have a lot of size to them, but it’s a matter of the fight in the dog. We might not have guys as big as them, but we’re going to play with more heart.”

The only way Tuscarora loses is if they come out flat by looking ahead to next week and then Broad Run. The coaches are too good to let that happen, and I suspect comparing Tuscarora to a 1-9 Kettle Run and suggesting they won't play with as much heart further provides bulletin board material to fire them up.

Reactions: Unc1ejimmy
Warriors are playing decently, just need to clean up the unforced errors. Could easily be a tie game right now based on how often each team has gotten it into the red zone, but only the Huskies have capitalized on their opportunities so far.

Going to need some turnovers to get back in it I think.

Good season for the Warriors. Had to face a ton of adversity over the year and just ran into a much better team tonight. The guys have a lot to be proud of and I look forward to seeing a lot of them back next season.

Last edited:
Tuscarora pulls away to eliminate Sherando

LEESBURG — Sherando left Tuscarora's Fortune Field on Friday night wondering what might have happened if a couple of things had worked out in the first half.

The Huskies left no doubt in the second half.

Led by slick quarterback Ethan Gick and powerhouse tailback Bryce Duke, Tuscarora erupted for 27 third-quarter points on the way to a 47-17 romp against the Warriors in the Region 4C football quarterfinals.

The Huskies (10-1), who got three rushing touchdowns each from Gick (14 carries, 113 yards) and Duke (21 carries, 216 yards) will travel to Class 4 Northwestern District champion Liberty (11-0) next Friday in the semifinals. The Eagles beat Loudoun County 21-14. Sherando ended its season 7-4.

The Warriors nearly pulled off a huge play on their first snap as quarterback Chacai Campbell threw a strike that Jabril Hayes could not handle five yards behind the defense.

"We had what we wanted there," Sherando coach Bill Hall said. "Big games are always determined by a couple of plays early in terms of making plays. Who is making the plays? We didn't make a couple of the plays that we needed."

Tuscarora's Brad Wheelbarger, whose team survived having an inflatable helmet collapse on top of the players before the game, knew his club dodged a bullet on the first play.

"We had wanted to try something and it was not what we wanted to try," Wheelbarger said. "Yes, we were fortunate that it wasn't caught because that changes the whole flow of the game. The football gods have their way sometimes."

Campbell and Hayes did connect for a 17-yard pass on the next play and the Warriors drove to the Tuscarora 42 before having to punt. Sherando's next two drives would penetrate the Huskies' 10, but the Warriors would have only three points on the scoreboard at halftime.

A false start penalty on second-and-goal from the Tuscarora 5 helped stymie the second drive in which the Warriors settled for Jack Hendren's 25-yard field goal that made it 7-3 late in the first quarter.

Starting at its own 20, Sherando used more than seven minutes on the clock and drove to a first-and-goal at the Huskies' 7 with 1:08 left in the half. Two incomplete passes sandwiched around a sack pushed the ball back to the 10 and Hendren's 27-yard field goal ricocheted the wrong way off the left upright on the 16th play of the march.

"A touchdown there we missed and [another] and it's 17-14 at the half," Hall said. "It's a different ballgame. I don't think the scoreboard is always indicative of what the game is. ... It's about making plays when you have the opportunities."

And that's what Wheelbarger felt his defense accomplished on those drives. "That was huge defensively, even more so than an early turnover," he said. "You have to have that 'bend don't break' attitude. That's playoff football."

Sherando's defense had no such luck with Tuscarora offense all night. Gick, who also threw a touchdown pass, and Duke delivered a 1-2 punch that the Warriors couldn't solve.

The Huskies scored on both their first-half possessions, marching 80 and 65 yards touchdowns. Gick tossed a 13-yard TD pass to Jevonn Gillyard and followed an excellent seal block from Duke on a 14-yard TD run to cap the second as the Huskies led 14-3 at the break.

Sherando had a ray of hope to start the second half as Duke collided with a teammate and Payne Bauer recovered the fumble at the 50. But Campbell was sacked on the next play and after a three-and-out the Warriors' punt was partially blocked and went just four yards.

The Huskies needed just two plays to cover 51 yards, with Gick cutting an option play straight up the middle for a 36-yard TD run to make it 21-3.

Campbell and Hayes (7 catches, 138 yards) hooked up for a 63-yard TD pass to bring the Warriors back within 21-10, but the rest of the period belonged to Huskies.

Gick capped a six-play, 67-yard march with a three-yard run. Duke's 64-yard dash down the left sidelines set up his one-yard TD run. And following an interception by Richie Dombroski, Sherando's lone turnover, Duke bolted 35 yards as the Tuscarora lead ballooned to 41-7.

"The coaches prepare us so well," said Gick of the Huskies' offensive success. "They put in the game plan and we just did exactly what they wanted us to do. We executed well ... We knew where we could get the matchups we liked and we did.

"Our O-line is the heart of our team," Gick added. "Me and Bryce can't do anything we do without our O-line. Everyone sees that. ... They're just so smart and communicating on every play. We're just so well prepared and so well coached."

The Warriors came in allowing 111.7 yards per game on the ground, but gave up 334 on 37 carries.

"It was hard to do," Bauer said of stopping the Huskies. "We just didn't play our best football tonight. It sucks."

"They do well schematically with what they are doing," Hall said. "It puts pressure on you to make tackles when you have an opportunity. I thought we were a little hesitant early and then we missed some tackles. Then all of a sudden that creates more indecision to where you're not pulling the trigger and playing the play you need to."

Duke, a 6-foot-1, 210-pound sophomore, capped his big night with a nine-yard TD run to start the fourth quarter.

"Bryce has always been the hardest worker in the weight room," said Gick of his tailback, who has some big schools looking at him already. "He's a freak. He puts up numbers in the weight room that are unheard of, especially for a sophomore."

With the running clock ticking, Sherando put together one last scoring drive of the season. Campbell (20 carries, 71 yards for the game) and Lane (13 carries, 47 yards) did most of the damage. Campbell capped the 59-yard march with a three-yard TD run.

Hall said his team played hard throughout the half even though it wasn't successful.

"The second half kind of snowballed," Hall said. "... It's easy for everyone to cast stones. We just talked about how the gallery is full of critics. They don't have any idea what these guys go through on a daily basis. It wasn't for lack of effort on their part. I'm proud of our guys."

In a season that featured so many injuries, Hall said his team battled to the end.

"We have overcome a lot," Hall said. "This is actually the second game where we've all been together and healthy. So, we're playing Game 2, when we're playing Game 11. I'm proud of the way we hung with it. We had a lot of success playing with a lot of different people. That speaks to team."

The Warriors will graduate 16 seniors, including Bauer, the district defensive Player of the Year, and Hayes, who made all-district teams at four positions.

"Payne, Jabril, all of the seniors, sometimes people measure it based on what they're doing on the field, but it was strong class through and through," Hall said. "You need all of them. Those 16 guys are special."

"This is a brotherhood here," an emotional Bauer said. "I'm going to miss these guys. We all love each other."

Gick said the Huskies feel the same way about each other, too.

"We're having so much fun," the Tuscarora senior said. "This is such a special group of guys. We don't necessarily want to go to a state championship to just win a ring. We just want to play with this group as long as possible. We want to play another four more games after this. That's what pushes us more than anything else."

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT