ADVERTISEMENT

single A state tourney

Oct 28, 2003
usually i am not one to complain about refs or anything, but i strongly believe that they were determined to not let the PMHS wrestling team win. during the whole tournament they refused to call pins, when it was obvious to the whole crowd that guys were flat as pancakes...and every call that was close was turned against the blues. this happened over and over, causing the blues to not get as many points as they deserved. the officiating was terrible, and the blues really got robbed. i think the whole thing was rigged. i am sorry to say this, but i wouldn't say it if i didn't believe it. Go Blues!! you are the real state champs.
if anyone agrees or disagrees i would love to hear your comments.

I was there as a working photographer, I had an interest in Clarke County, (A) and Loudoun County (AA), I don't think anything was rigged, Manassas Park had 4 champions, a 2nd place and a 4th, give credit where it's due. I admit I saw a couple different teams not get the pin called when I thought it was a pin, (like I said, I thought it should have been a pin, but I have never been an official so I'm not going to second guess.) I think of the few I saw PM might have been involved in one match, but the guy still got a major decision win, in a prelim match so I don't think it cost them too many points. The refs are human and are going to miss calls occasionally, as a pretty much impartial observer, I thought overall they did a pretty good job. They are being filmed and watched by the VHSL I don't think they would risk their job for the sake of keeping a particular team from winning, as the officials come from all parts of the state. As a reporter / photographer who was at 3 tournaments where Manassas Park wrestled, I didn't see them lose too many matches. They got a heck of a team. Thats just my 2 cents..

I was at Salem watching my son wrestle in the AA tournament and I will have to agree with the original poster. The officiating really stunk. My son placed but he could have won his next to last match if the officials had been paying attention and made the correct call and he could have gone to place higher. I think the problem at States is that the officials are having their time in the spotlight and they think its about them when its really about the wrestlers. It happens every year at the State tournament so I doubt anybody is going to make any significant changes. The refs stunk though for the most part. Not all, but most.

I also agree with the original poster. Also at the 2003 state tourny there was alot of things over looked that should not have been. My younger cousin from J.J. Kelly wrestled 112 in 2003 and he got sixth, but he could've done so much better. He got ripped off by bad officials. But that's all I've got to say about that.

TECH FALL OR PIN THE KID AND YOU WONT HAVE ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE REFS...The losing oppenent usually cries...just admit when your defeated!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT